The Northman (Robert Eggers, 2022)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#2 Post by FigrinDan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:50 pm

Robert Eggers' The Northman is a Viking revenge saga set in Iceland at the turn of the 10th century.
Potentially starring Nicole Kidman, Alexander Skarsgård, Anya Taylor-Joy, Bill Skarsgård, & Willem Dafoe.

After The Witch and The Lighthouse, color me intrigued.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: The Northman (Robert Eggers, 2021)

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Is this movie a Viking revenge saga?

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:30 pm

I think it's a Viking revenge saga

I also think that they will all speak in the actual tongue of Vikings after Eggers and his brother spend the bulk of their prep time researching and consulting with linguists, and then they will build their own Vikings ship

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 pm

More importantly though, will it star any Skarsgårds?

therewillbeblus

#6 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:05 pm

It will, though they will not be playing brothers, but Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero, respectively

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#7 Post by FigrinDan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:35 am

The cast of Robert Eggers’ The Northman, a Viking revenge saga, include Ethan Hawke, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicole Kidman, Alexander Skarsgård, Claes Bang, Willem Dafoe, and Björk. Set photos are starting to appear online.

therewillbeblus

#9 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm

Release date set for April 8, 2022

Also in case anyone missed it, Ralph Ineson was interviewed back in March and said there's a scene where Alexander Skarsgård
SpoilerShow
rips a man's throat out with his bare teeth
So, there's that.

Boosmahn

#10 Post by Boosmahn » Sat May 15, 2021 12:54 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm
Also in case anyone missed it, Ralph Ineson was interviewed back in March and said there's a scene where Alexander Skarsgård
SpoilerShow
rips a man's throat out with his bare teeth
The Walking Dead Season 5Show
This reminds me of a scene from The Walking Dead that always stuck with me: when Rick does the same thing to a man who is about to assault his son, Carl. It's brutal, but I've always really liked this scene for its portrayal of the near-animalistic lengths a father will go to protect his child. The parallel between that and a bite from a zombie (sorry, "Walker") also adds another layer. I no longer watch TWD, but maybe I should pick it back up.
To keep this on-topic, I am looking forward to this film. I liked The Witch and The Lighthouse even more so, and I'm interested to see how Eggers handles a non-horror movie.

therewillbeblus

#11 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 15, 2021 2:07 am

The Walking Dead Season 5Show
Boosmahn, I don't like The Walking Dead (and stopped around season 6/7, mid-Negan, long overdue) but that scene is easily the best and most admirable inclusion of the show's ethos delivering the bitter truth of our Hobbesian capabilities. It's ruthless but earns every bit of its violence, and deserves props for refusing to cushion its ferocity. What always bugged me though, is how Carl reacts for the entire season afterwards. Like, really dude? I get that you're traumatized or whatever, but a fight/flight response from your dad saving your life shouldn't stir you from trusting him for a whole season of TV. It can stir you of course, especially towards an abstract existential ungrounding from any semblance of clearly defined parameters of social etiquette finally reaching a point of total annihilation, but the aims of that projection were so misaligned with the already-established resilience in coping with complex adaptability to eroding morals, that it threatened to undo the value of the animalistic act itself! If I knew such an audacious display of realistic uncomfortable-to-stomach behavior would beget a sum total of at least an hour of Carl whining across ten episodes or whatever, I'd have taken the cut.

Pavel

#12 Post by Pavel » Sat May 15, 2021 3:45 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm
Release date set for April 8, 2022
I've seen a lot of people putting this in their early 2022 Oscar predictions (perhaps wishful thinking), so it's a bit weird to see a release date that not only takes it out of the running next year, but also kinda screws up its 2023 chances