Criterion OOP

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
movielocke

Re: Criterion OOP

#351 Post by movielocke » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:51 pm

meaningless milestone, I think (without including the fellinis) that there are now ~1000 in print titles in the collection.

davidhuxley

#352 Post by davidhuxley » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:44 am

How did you arrive at that figure? By my reckoning, as of October 25, 2020, there are 77 OOP spine-numbered releases. If you're counting titles instead of spines, there are 1182 films featured in the spine-numbered series. There are some releases with a single spine number, but with multiple titles, and some spine numbers which are not titles. There are also many titles released without spine numbers, like the films in the Bergman and Varda boxes.

SSF

#353 Post by SSF » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:55 am

Olivier’s Hamlet is OOP.

movielocke

#354 Post by movielocke » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 am

davidhuxley wrote:How did you arrive at that figure? By my reckoning, as of October 25, 2020, there are 77 OOP spine-numbered releases. If you're counting titles instead of spines, there are 1182 films featured in the spine-numbered series. There are some releases with a single spine number, but with multiple titles, and some spine numbers which are not titles. There are also many titles released without spine numbers, like the films in the Bergman and Varda boxes.
Uh I don’t remember.

I think, but don’t hold me to this, my numerological sorcery was taking the highest spine number (that had been announced at that point) and subtracting the number of oop spines and getting a result that was at or above 1000.

captveg

#355 Post by captveg » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:08 pm

SSF wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:55 am
Olivier’s Hamlet is OOP.
Hopefully an indication that it and Henry V have BD upgrades just over the horizon.

Amazing Goose

#356 Post by Amazing Goose » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm

What are the chances that The Third Man comes back in print? I'm not as good at keeping up with who has the rights as some are on here, but I've noticed that just about everything seems to eventually come back in print.

I'm wishing I had sold my Sternberg DVD set when it was getting high prices, and am considering putting my Third Man blu-ray up for sale if the odds are good that it may come back at some point, too.

hearthesilence

#357 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Amazing Goose wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm
What are the chances that The Third Man comes back in print? I'm not as good at keeping up with who has the rights as some are on here, but I've noticed that just about everything seems to eventually come back in print.
I hope it does. The current UK BD from Studio Canal used a 4K transfer that's a better picture than Criterion's old BD, but as documented elsewhere on this forum, the soundtrack on that UK BD has these bizarre edits (or rather errors) where bits of dialogue were somehow lost and other sound effects were even repeated.

The Criterion BD soundtrack is better, but it's also harsh from heavy compression, so ideally they'd reissue a BD with the new 4K transfer picture but tie it to their original 1999 DVDs soundtrack (as well as keeping all of the great bonuses on the old Criterion BD).