The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

#226 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:18 pm

If you fall into the category of someone who has a 4K television but not a UHD Blu-ray player, the new restoration is currently on sale on iTunes for $9.99 - will unlock the 4K/Dolby Vision stream of the film on pretty much every other service (Google Play, Fandango, Vudu, etc etc) via Movies Anywhere, and appears to include the bonus features from the disc

Stefan Andersson

#227 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Senses of Cinema Shining dossier:
http://sensesofcinema.com/issues/issue-95/

moreorless

#228 Post by moreorless » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:43 am

david hare wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 pm
As a viewing experience the UHD is simply incomparable to anything that came before, until the Cannes première in May.

Like many here i had the Euro cut on the old Blu and the long cut on an offair VHS. I was always happier then with the long cut as the accumulation of horrors through those cliched elements like the ghosts and skeketons was so Expressively effective, as Sausage points out. As for the mono audio, hearing the score again in its pristine multi track to stereo from the DGG masters takes on the ultimate possible Refinement in the new lossless audio.

This is not just an incomparable demo disc for UHD, it is an unbeatably flawless presentation of the film. Look at it this way, you’ve got a complete masterpiece brought back to life in the best possible everything for a seamless 35mm to 4K transition with an insane audio track, in literally lossless form for 25 bucks. As for long vs. short versions. K’s favorite director, Max Ophuls had the heebie jeebies after the prem audience of La Ronde had a bad reaction In 1950 and he took it back the lab that night and trimmed 15 minutes to cut it down to 97 minutes. That short version has Since been admired as a masterpiece. But the long supressed long cut was let out of the vaults in the late 80sand proved to be a revelation to The small handful of us who have seen it. I have a dream that K, whose favorite director was Ophuls, was still alive and came across the original footage.which he then curated back, against the objections of now very old Marcel who has fought every attempt to get this back into circulation.

If only K were still alive to lap this up.
Yep certainly one of the best UHD disks I'v watched and I would say as well the film does clearly benefit from the extra detail, the close-ups become that much more unsettling and the colours in scenes like the bathroom with Grady stand out a lot more. Quite supprising that The Shining actually looks better than 2OO1 given that the latter was shot in 70mm although some of the FX work on the latter does look amazing.

I always wondered whether the shift in cut was to play up the idea of the colonial legacy more rather than Jack as an abuse parent or TV violence, you could argue the US can shows the latter two as a product of the former but perhaps makes it a bit less clear?