1054 Parasite

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Post Reply
Message
Author
ford
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite

#226 Post by ford » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:54 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm
Hell of a bittersweet way to find out that Parasite isn't going to be getting a UHD disc release.
There's a European UHD release but without English subtitles. Maybe the UK will release it on UHD?

Criterion needs to make the jump. I've basically stopped buying new Criterion blu-rays since upgrading to 4k. Doesn't seem like much point.

User avatar
Luke M
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#227 Post by Luke M » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:07 pm

I think this probably trumps any Monday announcements.

User avatar
justeleblanc
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#228 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Hard to imagine them not picking up OKJA as well.

User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#229 Post by Ribs » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:26 pm

I can imagine that very easily, given there’s no evidence they can “go back” in the Netflix catalog beyond what they’re probably approached by them to handle.

User avatar
CSM126
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:22 am
Location: The Room
Contact:

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#230 Post by CSM126 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Ribs wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:26 pm
I can imagine that very easily, given there’s no evidence they can “go back” in the Netflix catalog beyond what they’re probably approached by them to handle.
I can imagine Netflix wanting to strike while the iron is hot and get their Bong film on disc to capitalize on his Oscars success.

Calvin
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:12 am

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite

#231 Post by Calvin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm

ford wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:54 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm
Hell of a bittersweet way to find out that Parasite isn't going to be getting a UHD disc release.
There's a European UHD release but without English subtitles. Maybe the UK will release it on UHD?
Artificial Eye haven't announced one and they've never released one before, so it looks like it's not happening here either.

The last hope for an English subtitled UHD disc is probably a domestic South Korean release, which is yet to be announced despite being released in theatres there 9 months ago!

ford
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite

#232 Post by ford » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:14 pm

Calvin wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm
ford wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:54 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Hell of a bittersweet way to find out that Parasite isn't going to be getting a UHD disc release.
There's a European UHD release but without English subtitles. Maybe the UK will release it on UHD?
Artificial Eye haven't announced one and they've never released one before, so it looks like it's not happening here either.

The last hope for an English subtitled UHD disc is probably a domestic South Korean release, which is yet to be announced despite being released in theatres there 9 months ago!
Is South Korea a big market for UHD discs?

User avatar
RitrovataBlue
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#233 Post by RitrovataBlue » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm

I know that Criterion has double-dipped plenty of films after they’ve already been on Blu for a while, but this was just released! Surely the fact that it just won Best Picture coupled with the redundancy of another straight Blu release so soon after the current one hit the market could persuade CC to release Parasite on 4K.

At this point, I’m surprised that no filmmakers have tried to persuade CC to go UHD. Guillermo Del Toro was apparently instrumental in getting the Hellboy films and Pan’s Labyrinth upgraded by major studios; surely he’s spoken with Criterion about it as well.

ford
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#234 Post by ford » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:56 pm

RitrovataBlue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm
At this point, I’m surprised that no filmmakers have tried to persuade CC to go UHD. Guillermo Del Toro was apparently instrumental in getting the Hellboy films and Pan’s Labyrinth upgraded by major studios; surely he’s spoken with Criterion about it as well.
Maybe I've got their market all wrong, but you'd think the kind of person who buys Criterion discs is also someone who prioritizes having a relatively top-of-the-line television, etc. I'd also imagine the cost of manufacturing UHD discs has come down in the past three years.

User avatar
Luke M
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#235 Post by Luke M » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:57 pm

It might not be released for another year.

User avatar
The Fanciful Norwegian
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:24 pm
Location: Teegeeack

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite

#236 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:29 pm

ford wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:14 pm
Calvin wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm
The last hope for an English subtitled UHD disc is probably a domestic South Korean release, which is yet to be announced despite being released in theatres there 9 months ago!
Is South Korea a big market for UHD discs?
I can't say for sure, but the fact that there are more Korean films on UHD in Germany (two) than Korea itself (zero) suggests it's not not a market local studios feel any compulsion to pursue. But if they wanted to, Parasite would be certainly the best title to start with.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#237 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:28 pm

I just bought the Blu-Ray, you’re welcome everyone

User avatar
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#238 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:29 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:28 pm
I just bought the Blu-Ray, you’re welcome everyone
Ditto. ;-)

black&huge
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:35 am

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#239 Post by black&huge » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 pm

I just thought about something. Possible these recent announcement waves from partnering with neon and Netflix to release all these newer titles are to try and bring in as much revenue as possible for Criterion to fund a foray into 4K as well as funding restos and releases for obscure films like they have been doing since the start?

User avatar
kcota17
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#240 Post by kcota17 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 pm

Nope they’re not going to budge. Or else it would’ve happened with Roma and Cold War. Tell everyone you know to stop buying DVDs and maybe it will have a chance.

But even if this doesn’t have a good chance of being UHD, it will at least be nice to hopefully have the B&W version available.

User avatar
Luke M
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#241 Post by Luke M » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:24 am


kcota17 wrote:Nope they’re not going to budge. Or else it would’ve happened with Roma and Cold War. Tell everyone you know to stop buying DVDs and maybe it will have a chance.
This is the best thing written about Criterion and UHD.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite

#242 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm
Hell of a bittersweet way to find out that Parasite isn't going to be getting a UHD disc release.
Funny you didn't mention this whenever Neon announced only a BD release

onedimension
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#243 Post by onedimension » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 am

ford wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:56 pm
RitrovataBlue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm
At this point, I’m surprised that no filmmakers have tried to persuade CC to go UHD. Guillermo Del Toro was apparently instrumental in getting the Hellboy films and Pan’s Labyrinth upgraded by major studios; surely he’s spoken with Criterion about it as well.
Maybe I've got their market all wrong, but you'd think the kind of person who buys Criterion discs is also someone who prioritizes having a relatively top-of-the-line television, etc. I'd also imagine the cost of manufacturing UHD discs has come down in the past three years.
So last I read, it’s actually the opposite - a lot of Criterion customers are DVD/SD only

User avatar
Close The Door, Raymond
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:33 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#244 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 am

Press release:
New York, NY (February 13, 2020) – NEON and the Criterion Collection are excited to announce that Criterion will issue special editions of two Bong Joon Ho masterpieces, the four-time Academy Award-winning Parasite and the breathtaking crime drama Memories of Murder. Parasite just made history as the first foreign language film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture, and the first Korean film to win Best Director, Best International Film, and Best Original Screenplay. Parasite was also Nominated for Best Production Design and Best Editing, and previously won the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language Film and Palme d'Or at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival.

Bong Joon Ho brings his singular mastery home to Korea in this pitch-black modern fairytale. The film is set amidst the two families, the Parks, the picture of aspirational wealth, and the Kims, rich in street smarts but not much else. Be it chance or fate, these two houses are brought together and the Kims sense a golden opportunity. Masterminded by college-aged Ki-woo, the Kim children expediently install themselves as tutor and art therapist, to the Parks. Soon, a symbiotic relationship forms between the two families. The Kims provide “indispensable” luxury services while the Parks obliviously bankroll their entire household. When a parasitic interloper threatens the Kims’ newfound comfort, a savage, underhanded battle for dominance breaks out, threatening to destroy the fragile ecosystem between the Kims and the Parks. By turns darkly hilarious and heart-wrenching, Parasite showcases a modern master at the top of his game.

Memories of Murder was released in 2003 and marked the first of Bong Joon Ho and Song Kang Ho's collaborations, and has gone on to be considered one of the most thrilling and haunting crime dramas released this century. NEON recently acquired the rights to the film and will be re-releasing the film in theaters before its home video release.

Parasite debuted at Cannes where it became the first Korean film to win the coveted Palme d'Or and has since gone one to play at festivals across the country, including Telluride, Toronto, and New York Film Festival. Parasite is being hailed by critics as the best film to emerge this past fall, earning 99% on Rotten Tomatoes. NEON released the film in theaters on October 6, 2019 where it has gone on to gross over $35 million, becoming one of the Top 10 highest grossing foreign language films ever released in the US.

Parasite was written and directed by Bong Joon Ho and features a SAG Ensemble Award-winning cast including his long time collaborator Song Kang Ho, Choi Woo Shik, Park So Dam and Jang Hye Jin.
Nothing to indicate if this will be two separate releases or a double-title set.

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite

#245 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 am

swo17 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 am
mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm
Hell of a bittersweet way to find out that Parasite isn't going to be getting a UHD disc release.
Funny you didn't mention this whenever Neon announced only a BD release
Because it didn't have any bonus features. Was a rush job that was going to be double dipped after the Oscars one way or another.

User avatar
Caligula
Carthago delenda est
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:32 am
Location: George, South Africa

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#246 Post by Caligula » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:49 am

Close The Door, Raymond wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 am
Press release:
New York, NY (February 13, 2020) – NEON and the Criterion Collection are excited to announce that Criterion will issue special editions of two Bong Joon Ho masterpieces
Nothing to indicate if this will be two separate releases or a double-title set.
Separate releases, I'd say

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#247 Post by tenia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 am


ford wrote:
RitrovataBlue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm
At this point, I’m surprised that no filmmakers have tried to persuade CC to go UHD. Guillermo Del Toro was apparently instrumental in getting the Hellboy films and Pan’s Labyrinth upgraded by major studios; surely he’s spoken with Criterion about it as well.
Maybe I've got their market all wrong, but you'd think the kind of person who buys Criterion discs is also someone who prioritizes having a relatively top-of-the-line television, etc. I'd also imagine the cost of manufacturing UHD discs has come down in the past three years.
I've read last year that UHD still costs at least 3 times the cost of a BD to manufacture, with very high glassmaster fixed costs. Since the market for UHD is at best 20% of the BD market, itself at best 30% of the physical market (going up solely because the DVD is dropping so much), these higher costs will need to be recouped on a much smaller market. In France, UHDs are 1.2% of the overall market.

Look also at how pretty much no indie label have institutionalised UHD releases. Some are only going to released their first one in 2020, while others have only released a handful, and most, including some big indie labels like Arrow or Criterion, have released none.

I understand some people are eager to see these movies on the best possible format, but I think it's clear the market sales potential is what it is for this : extremely low, and thus very delicate financially to go into.

As for SK physical market : it heavily dropped and many households dont even have a DVD player anymore. BD never caught up since most consumers basically dropped the physical market altogether. I guess UHD is not going to. This explains why the KFA chose to upload so many of their movies on YouTube rather than focusing on BD releases (source : the KFA itself).

Parasite
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#248 Post by Parasite » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:15 am

.
Last edited by Parasite on Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#249 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 am
ford wrote:
RitrovataBlue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm
At this point, I’m surprised that no filmmakers have tried to persuade CC to go UHD. Guillermo Del Toro was apparently instrumental in getting the Hellboy films and Pan’s Labyrinth upgraded by major studios; surely he’s spoken with Criterion about it as well.
Maybe I've got their market all wrong, but you'd think the kind of person who buys Criterion discs is also someone who prioritizes having a relatively top-of-the-line television, etc. I'd also imagine the cost of manufacturing UHD discs has come down in the past three years.
I've read last year that UHD still costs at least 3 times the cost of a BD to manufacture, with very high glassmaster fixed costs. Since the market for UHD is at best 20% of the BD market, itself at best 30% of the physical market (going up solely because the DVD is dropping so much), these higher costs will need to be recouped on a much smaller market. In France, UHDs are 1.2% of the overall market.

Look also at how pretty much no indie label have institutionalised UHD releases. Some are only going to released their first one in 2020, while others have only released a handful, and most, including some big indie labels like Arrow or Criterion, have released none.

I understand some people are eager to see these movies on the best possible format, but I think it's clear the market sales potential is what it is for this : extremely low, and thus very delicate financially to go into.

As for SK physical market : it heavily dropped and many households dont even have a DVD player anymore. BD never caught up since most consumers basically dropped the physical market altogether. I guess UHD is not going to. This explains why the KFA chose to upload so many of their movies on YouTube rather than focusing on BD releases (source : the KFA itself).
Also remember two big lessons Criterion learned from going BD/dual format, which are surely making them more hesitant to take the UHD plunge:

1. The Criterion collector expects every release to be in the superior format
2. The Criterion collector does not want dual format releases

Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#250 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:19 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

1. The Criterion collector expects every release to be in the superior format
2. The Criterion collector does not want dual format releases
If #2 is truly part of their hesitation I'm quite satisfied to see all that unnecessary whining from collectors come back to bite them.

Post Reply