Kelly Reichardt

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

senseabove

Kelly Reichardt

#1 Post by senseabove » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:28 am

Kelly Reichardt (1964 -)

"One question that seems to come up over and over again in all my movies is: What is our relationship to each other? ... Questions about community. Do you want to live in an each man for himself world or a world where you can bump into a stranger and give the benefit of the doubt to someone you don’t know? Are we in this all together or are we just supposed to make our way, keep blinders on, and not care about the person standing next to us? I think those questions about community keep coming up over and over again in these films because they’re seeded in the stories that the scripts are coming from. And, I think those are interesting questions."

Filmography

Features
River of Grass (1993) R1/A Soda/Oscilloscope
Old Joy (2006) R1/A Soda
Wendy and Lucy (2008) R1/A Soda/Oscilloscope
Meek’s Cutoff (2011) R1/A Soda/Oscilloscope
Night Moves (2013) R1/A Cinedigm
Certain Women (2016) R1/A Criterion

Shorts
Ode (1999)
Then, a Year (2002)
Travis (2004)

Music Videos
Dumptruck - "Back Where I Belong" (1986)
Dumptruck - "Secrets" (1986)
Big Dipper - "Faith Healer" (1987)
Christmas - "Superheroes" (1992)
Helmet - "Bad Mood" (1992) [co-directed with Jesse Hartman]

Print Resources
Kelly Reichardt: Emergency and the everyday, Katherine Fusco & Nicole Seymour (U. Illinois Press, 2017)
ReFocus: The Films of Kelly Reichardt, E. Dawn Hall (U. Edinburgh Press, 2018)

Web Resources
Great Directors Profile at Senses of Cinema
Kelly Reichardt [interviewed] by Todd Haynes, Bomb, Oct. 1, 1995
Kelly Reichardt in Conversation (video, 18 min., BFI, March 15, 2017)
Interview: Kelly Reichardt on Certain Women and the Politics of Anger

Forum Discussion
Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt 2005)
Wendy and Lucy (Kelly Reichardt, 2008)
Meek's Cutoff (Kelly Reichardt, 2011)
893 Certain Women

[MOD NOTE: thanks to JamesF for his contributions!]

senseabove

Re: Kelly Reichardt

#2 Post by senseabove » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:38 am

I've started working my way through a completion/rewatch of Reichardt's films with a friend, and had some questions that didn't seem to have other suitable places, so figured I'd start this thread.

First, does anyone know if the shorts are available anywhere in decent quality? Travis is on YouTube, and Ode is there in five parts, but the last part has been deleted.

Second, has there been any news about her next project? I know after Certain Women came out she announced she was working on an adaptation of Patrick DeWitt's novel Undermajordomo Minor, but I couldn't find anything about it that didn't date from (or seem to source it's info from) around the release of Certain Women...

JamesF

#3 Post by JamesF » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 am

senseabove wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:28 am
Night Moves (2013, 112 min.) (BD: Cinedigm)
Pardon the gratuitous plug but Soda's Blu-Ray of Night Moves may also be of interest to Reichardt fans as we were able to secure a few short extras not on the (vanilla) Cinedigm disc, including an interview with Reichardt. Review with details of the disc here.

Here's some early music videos directed by Reichardt pre-River Of Grass:
"Back Where I Belong" by Dumptruck (1986)
"Secrets" by Dumptruck (1986)
"Faith Healer" by Big Dipper" (1987)
"Superheroes" by Christmas (1992)
"Bad Mood" by Helmet (1992) (co-directed with Jesse Hartman)

She also directed a video for "The Backyard" by Miracle Legion in 1986 but I can't find that online. Two other early Super-8 shorts not listed in the opening post are Roadmovies: A Trilogy (1984-86) and Home Movies (1998); she was still listing them (and the music videos) in her bio as late as 2006 but has quietly let them disappear since.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 am

Very nice work, but in the future please leave filmmaker thread creation to a moderator or DarkImbecile. That way we don't have superfluous or at times redundant threads created. Thank you!

senseabove

#5 Post by senseabove » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:15 pm

JamesF wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 am
senseabove wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:28 am
Night Moves (2013, 112 min.) (BD: Cinedigm)
Pardon the gratuitous plug but Soda's Blu-Ray of Night Moves may also be of interest to Reichardt fans as we were able to secure a few short extras not on the (vanilla) Cinedigm disc, including an interview with Reichardt. Review with details of the disc here.

Here's some early music videos directed by Reichardt pre-River Of Grass:
"Back Where I Belong" by Dumptruck (1986)
"Secrets" by Dumptruck (1986)
"Faith Healer" by Big Dipper" (1987)
"Superheroes" by Christmas (1992)
"Bad Mood" by Helmet (1992) (co-directed with Jesse Hartman)

She also directed a video for "The Backyard" by Miracle Legion in 1986 but I can't find that online. Two other early Super-8 shorts not listed in the opening post are Roadmovies: A Trilogy (1984-86) and Home Movies (1998); she was still listing them (and the music videos) in her bio as late as 2006 but has quietly let them disappear since.
Great! Thanks! I'd heard she did one for Helmet, but I didn't realize she'd done that many music videos, and I didn't think to try to track 'em down for inclusion here.

And the Soda release of Night Moves is the one I actually have, which I imported after considering both releases! It just slipped my mind...Sorry! It's the last of Reichardt's features I've to watch, and I plan on getting to it next week, so I would've realized my mistake then.

senseabove

#6 Post by senseabove » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:19 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 am
Very nice work, but in the future please leave filmmaker thread creation to a moderator or DarkImbecile. That way we don't have superfluous or at times redundant threads created. Thank you!
No toes meant to be stepped on, mfunk. I did read the guidelines, which say that after researching to ensure no duplication, "you can request a first post from me in advance of initiating a discussion on a heretofore neglected filmmaker or create one yourself..."

Happy to ping mods in the future, but the Filmmakers Forum Guidelines might need a tweak if that's the law of the land.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm

You are absolutely correct. No offense was taken by anyone here. It's just a bear to keep organized if threads are being created within it, but that isn't your fault.