Forthcoming: Death in Venice (Visconti)

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Fred Holywell

Re: Forthcoming: Death in Venice (Visconti)

#26 Post by Fred Holywell » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:27 pm

For comparison, some images from the Warners DVD and the online restoration clip.

Toby Dammit

#27 Post by Toby Dammit » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:43 pm

God! that's terrible

Noodles1984

#28 Post by Noodles1984 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:43 pm
God! that's terrible
Yes, i don't know the original color palette but i don' like at all this yellowish-sepia coloration...
I will catch a screening of Death in Venice in Bologna on the first days of September... if these are the "official colors" i'm a bit less excited to be honest...but at least it's on the big screen...what do you think about that?
Would you miss a screening if you had the chance?
I hope CC will regrade it...I will also ask detailed info about the 2010 restoration of the Damned...i would like to know if it was a 4k scan

Fred Holywell

#29 Post by Fred Holywell » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Noodles1984 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:56 pm
I will catch a screening of Death in Venice in Bologna on the first days of September... if these are the "official colors" i'm a bit less excited to be honest...but at least it's on the big screen...what do you think about that?
Wondering if you got to the Bologna screening of "Death in Venice" and what you thought of it.

Noodles1984

#30 Post by Noodles1984 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Fred Holywell wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:55 pm
Noodles1984 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:56 pm
Wondering if you got to the Bologna screening of "Death in Venice" and what you thought of it.
Please excuse me for the late reply...it was a stunning experience...the restoration was very good imo, the colors were vibrant and fantastic..i watched it two times,as a movie the first viewing let me a bit cold but only one day before it meant a lot more than the first viewing, i realized i was in front of a real masterpiece and a magnificent work of art(i hope that you understand my bad english expressions)
I asked a lot of people from the Cineteca any info on The Damned, finally the archive responsible said to me that the movie was restored in 2010 in a 2k resolution from the original negative and the english audio track.Color correction in collaboration of a collaborator of Dop De Santis
I hope that in 2019 it will be finally released for it's 50th birthday
Finally, i don't know why but the restoration i saw didn't have this horrible yellowish tint , the skin tones where similar to the warner dvd, the blues where a bit less saturated though.

Fred Holywell

#31 Post by Fred Holywell » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Noodles1984 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 pm
Finally, i don't know why but the restoration i saw didn't have this horrible yellowish tint , the skin tones where similar to the warner dvd, the blues where a bit less saturated though.
Thanks, Noodles, that's encouraging to know. Some hope that the Criterion release won't look anything like the "restoration" clip.

jsteffe

#32 Post by jsteffe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:16 am

Noodles1984 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 pm
Please excuse me for the late reply...it was a stunning experience...the restoration was very good imo, the colors were vibrant and fantastic..i watched it two times,as a movie the first viewing let me a bit cold but only one day before it meant a lot more than the first viewing, i realized i was in front of a real masterpiece and a magnificent work of art(i hope that you understand my bad english expressions)
I asked a lot of people from the Cineteca any info on The Damned, finally the archive responsible said to me that the movie was restored in 2010 in a 2k resolution from the original negative and the english audio track.Color correction in collaboration of a collaborator of Dop De Santis
I hope that in 2019 it will be finally released for it's 50th birthday
Thanks, that is encouraging to hear!