881-884 The Marseille Trilogy

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
tenia

Re: 881-884 The Marseille Trilogy

#51 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 am

knives wrote:For a company like Criterion they would either have to licence a French subtitle track or make one of their own which can be costly.
I suspect contractual limitations would actually be the first issue to pop up regarding this kind of inclusion.

Universal can include so many languages (and take logistically advantage of it) because they don't have this kind of contractual limitations thanks to worldwide rights, but independant labels like Criterion rarely have this opportunity. Even if they have the budget to include them, they wouldn't be allowed to.

movielocke

#52 Post by movielocke » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Marius is a thoroughly fantastic film. gorgeous photography, tremendous performances, and sparkling, often hilarious dialog (which I was able to thoroughly grasp because the subtitles are pretty damn good at conveying the tone and timbre of the repartee) that moves at a million miles a minute. The film, though on the long side, moves extremely fast because the dialog clips along at such a breathless pace. A great film, and I was surprised to see that it didn't quite place on the last decade list the forum did, an oversight sure to be remedied in the next iteration.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:50 pm

movielocke wrote:Marius is a thoroughly fantastic film. gorgeous photography, tremendous performances, and sparkling, often hilarious dialog (which I was able to thoroughly grasp because the subtitles are pretty damn good at conveying the tone and timbre of the repartee) that moves at a million miles a minute. The film, though on the long side, moves extremely fast because the dialog clips along at such a breathless pace. A great film, and I was surprised to see that it didn't quite place on the last decade list the forum did, an oversight sure to be remedied in the next iteration.
Well, it was in my Top 10 :-"

swo17

#54 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 pm

It was a mere 19 points away from making the top 100 in the last round. domino only placed it at #9 so this was half his fault.

jorencain

#55 Post by jorencain » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 pm

This perhaps is not the best thread to pose this question, but here it is:

I'm watching "Fanny," which has a handful of instances of missing frames. The most noticeable (so far) is during the beginning of the wedding scene around 1:26, where several frames are obviously missing. The soundtrack, however, is uninterrupted.

Is it stupid to ask how that is corrected during a restoration (i.e. How can the sound be seamless while the visuals are not?)?

movielocke

#56 Post by movielocke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:03 am

Fanny is also excellent, though not so quite as excellent as Marius. The rather glorious tracking shots from the doctor to the church are outstanding, and remarkable to see, on the other hand the film seems slightly less well pulled off by allegret than Korda, though I think it is actually losing Marius as a repartee partner for both fanny and Cesar winds up bringing the films dynamics down. Both films are filled with "sit around and talk for a glorious twenty minute scene" sequences but Kordas film has an extra vibrancy to it.

One of the interesting things about he first film is how I didn't hate Marius, as selfish characters such as his are usually the kind I love to hate. But the way pagnol pulled off the sincerity of Marius' love for the sea (though I spent most of the first film thinking he really just has wanderlust and the sea is what he has latched on to) and wove the theme of his independence into the themes of Fannys exploration of her own independence (and her realizations and maturation throughout the first film), made Marius' actions work without making you hate him. In many ways it's a hopeful ending.

So we then reject that hope in the second film and take a deep dive into the machinations of French culture in Fanny, I for one loved all these classic Victorian/Dickensinian marriages and births and inheritances portrayed in the midst of the Great Depression, brilliant.

and in a twist I didn't expect, the film lets Marius be portrayed as the unrepentant selfish asshole he clearly was all along. Seeing him come back in this manner rather than in a continuation of the romanticized portrayal as a dreamer in the first film was simply delightful, and made the whole film for me.

And let me as an aside just gush a bit at how thoroughly I adore raimu in these films, particularly in the second film as he now journeys through an emotional roller coaster in this film, rather than the comfortable status quo he maintained during the first films plot.

Not to be outdone, Panisse really shines in this film, in the first film you're a little amused and a little creeped out by him. In this film you are one hundred percent charmed by him, it's a great feat for pagnol to have pulled off.

movielocke

#57 Post by movielocke » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Cesar is just a hair better than Fanny, and in some ways a bit worse (because it is just a little more indulgent and a little more laconic). At times, I found the young putz pretty irritating but overall the warmth of Marseille and Raimu just shine here as in the other films. I love that Marius always stays the jerk, and I love that the kid is growing up to be a rich version of the same jerk. I don't particularly love the machinations of the final third of Cesar that maneuver the trilogies titular couple together, I was kind of cringing as I realized it was starting to unfold, but then Pagnol handles it terribly well and I was ultimately won over by the ending.

the features in the set are all outstanding, a really great curation on criterion's part. Many of the french features make a great deal of noise about the marseille "accent". Since I don't speak french, I assume this is sort of like a southern accent? the only difference I noticed was that in Marius it often sounded like they were speaking a hybrid Italian/French, that is to say, French with all the speed, shouting and loud emphasis you often hear in Italian. But I didn't notice this so much in Fanny or Cesar.

Just a tremendous release from start to finish, my favorite of the year thus far.

movielocke

#58 Post by movielocke » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:29 pm

swo17 wrote:It was a mere 19 points away from making the top 100 in the last round. domino only placed it at #9 so this was half his fault.
well it should be fine (likely all three will make it next time) considering that the first thirty or forty films in the list are almost all criterion titles!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:38 pm

I agree with your ranking of 1, 3, 2, though I will almost surely only end up voting for Marius yet again when the time comes. It does my heart good to see people discovering these films, though!

Ribs

#60 Post by Ribs » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:40 pm

The American Logan remake will be on TCM on Sunday night/Monday morning next week, for the morbidly curious. I'm not done with the set yet (spacing it out!) but I'll be recording it to revisit this version. (I'm amused to see some people on the Letterboxd page for it saying it's not enough plot for a 140 minute movie). As I mentioned on the first page here I don't really remember anything about the remake other than that Fanny says "Mr. Panisse!" over and over again seemingly endlessly, but it's competent and entertaining enough otherwise as far as I can recall (no patch on this version, though).

movielocke

#61 Post by movielocke » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:42 pm

I saw the Logan one years ago, and did not think it was very good.

knives

#62 Post by knives » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:30 pm

I like it even as it necessarily speeds things up. Probably the best performance of that one German guy who is usually terrible.

Lowry_Sam

#63 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:07 pm

A reviewer on Amazon states:
Steven A. Brown wrote:Yes the new restoration look fantastic and yes, there are some very good extras in this set... HOWEVER... while there seems to be some bits of footage added to all 3 films, there is also footage that has been omitted from earlier, unrestored releases of The Trilogy (KINO's release for example). The most egregious being in "Cesar" - where footage has been cut (why?) from the wonderful scene in the bar between Cesar and Cesariot. What gives Criterion? If one is going to go to all the trouble to restore these classically eternal films, why not go the distance?
I haven't seen anyone else mention this before, is it true?

jsteffe

#64 Post by jsteffe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 pm

It's worth pointing out that the films were restored by the Compagnie méditérranéenne de films and the Cinémathèque française. They would be in the best position to answer questions about any textual differences. I'm curious to hear what you find out!

hearthesilence

#65 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Anyone have Kino's old DVD? I'm wondering how much was allegedly omitted.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:30 pm

I sold mine for big bux as soon as this was hinted at. I'd like more than an Amazon Customer Review before I start even pretending this is a thing, though

bearcuborg

#67 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:31 pm

I have both, but haven’t watched anything but the extras on the Criterion yet (having watched my Kino set half a dozen times) but I’ll take a long when I get back from traveling if someone hasn’t figured it by then...