Toto the Hero

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Toto the Hero

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri May 22, 2020 10:52 am

Image

The acclaimed debut film from Jaco Van Dormael (Mr Nobody) is a funny and magical journey in the spirit of Cinema Paradiso and My Life as a Dog.

Thomas is obsessed with the idea he was swapped at birth with his neighbour Alfred during a hospital fire. Believing the wealthy and privileged Alfred has lived the life he should have had Thomas is heart broken by the loss of his sister and plots his revenge, imagining himself to be the secret agent, Toto the Hero.

Cutting between past and present, comedy and tragedy Van Dormael’s multi-award-winning film is presented on Blu-ray for the first time.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
  • High definition digital transfer
  • Original Uncompressed mono audio
  • Newly translated optional English subtitles
  • Memories of Hero – an extensive documentary on the making of Toto featuring members of the cast and crew
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Scott Saslow
    FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jon Towlson

User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: Toto the Hero

#2 Post by knives » Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 am

Would have been a good opportunity to include some shorts. Oh, well. Still glad to see this.

stroszeck
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:42 pm

Re: Toto the Hero

#3 Post by stroszeck » Fri May 22, 2020 6:38 pm

knives wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 am
Would have been a good opportunity to include some shorts. Oh, well. Still glad to see this.
Any chance this is going to be region free or R1?? I don’t know anything about Arrow but I dropped like $25 on a shitty old possibly bootleg DVD of Toto a few months back.

bad future
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Toto the Hero

#4 Post by bad future » Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm

stroszeck wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:38 pm
knives wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 am
Would have been a good opportunity to include some shorts. Oh, well. Still glad to see this.
Any chance this is going to be region free or R1?? I don’t know anything about Arrow but I dropped like $25 on a shitty old possibly bootleg DVD of Toto a few months back.
It was announced as a US release in addition to UK.

This has been on my list so I was happy to see this announcement, but I also kind of hate Cinema Paradiso and My Life as a Dog... are those comparisons from Arrow pretty accurate?

stroszeck
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:42 pm

Re: Toto the Hero

#5 Post by stroszeck » Fri May 22, 2020 7:32 pm

If you haven’t seen it it’s a pretty great movie. Kind of has some dark salty moments. It used to be on a lot on the old IFC of the 1990s.

User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: Toto the Hero

#6 Post by knives » Fri May 22, 2020 7:36 pm

bad future wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm
stroszeck wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:38 pm
knives wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 am
Would have been a good opportunity to include some shorts. Oh, well. Still glad to see this.
Any chance this is going to be region free or R1?? I don’t know anything about Arrow but I dropped like $25 on a shitty old possibly bootleg DVD of Toto a few months back.
It was announced as a US release in addition to UK.

This has been on my list so I was happy to see this announcement, but I also kind of hate Cinema Paradiso and My Life as a Dog... are those comparisons from Arrow pretty accurate?
I haven't seen this particular one, but I'd say no. His biggest adherents nowadays are Gondry and Jeunet so thinking more in terms of that school is probably better though he is still fairly different.

bad future
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Toto the Hero

#7 Post by bad future » Fri May 22, 2020 9:24 pm

Thanks! I’ve seen Mr. Nobody and Brand New Testament and really enjoyed those (especially the latter) but... boyhood-centric movies are pretty fraught territory for me and Arrow had to to namedrop two of my least favorite. Still interested in seeing it though; for now I’ll just chalk the comparisons up to the fact that those films seemed pretty widely adored by people who aren’t me...

User avatar
NABOB OF NOWHERE
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Brandywine River

Re: Toto the Hero

#8 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am

knives wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:36 pm
bad future wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm
stroszeck wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:38 pm
This has been on my list so I was happy to see this announcement, but I also kind of hate Cinema Paradiso and My Life as a Dog... are those comparisons from Arrow pretty accurate?
I haven't seen this particular one, but I'd say no. His biggest adherents nowadays are Gondry and Jeunet so thinking more in terms of that school is probably better though he is still fairly different.
Yes it does not share the same syrupy sentimentality as Cinema Paradiso. I think you can bracket Toto in with the branch line that sprung out of the 'The Look' era of French film making which treated sentimentality more playfully and had a retro urge - which is pretty much a staple ingredient for a lot of French pop culture. I'd put it into a universe with planets named Leconte, Carax and Jeunet where the humour has a dash of circus panache.
Hopefully one day someone will get round to reissuing 'Les Convoyeurs attendant' with an early starring role for Benoit Poelevoorde.

Post Reply