Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
dwk

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1351 Post by dwk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Oops, and I was looking at their Twitter account. #-o

black&huge

#1352 Post by black&huge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Danger Diabolik and Idle Hands!!!! Sign me the hell up. Been wanting an upgrade on the former forever. IH is also underrated

feihong

#1353 Post by feihong » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 pm

Danger Diabolik is long overdue for this. This should be pretty awesome.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1354 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm

With Evil of Frankenstein and Curse of the Werewolf both now coming, should we expect Shout to be re-releasing all of the films in the Universal 8-pack Universal series? I'd be welcoming this not just for the restorations, but for providing extras as the existing release doesn't have any.

dwk

#1355 Post by dwk » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell is also coming in May

colinr0380

#1356 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:45 pm

black&huge wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:42 pm
Danger Diabolik and Idle Hands!!!! Sign me the hell up. Been wanting an upgrade on the former forever. IH is also underrated

Idle Hands would work well in a double bill with the recently released Body Parts too! (And its premise reminds me a bit of the more serious toned Parasyte)

jazzo

#1357 Post by jazzo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Colin, I'd be interested on your opinion of Body Parts. I haven't seen it since its original theatrical release, and I remember nothing about that except coming away feeling disappointed that it didn't hit my sweet spot the way other Eric Red pictures (including, believe it or not, Bad Moon) did. That being said, I'd be interested in revisiting if you recommend it, as (based upon your past posts, which I always find enlightening), we seem to have the same affection for a certain amount of horror movie silliness.

colinr0380

#1358 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:49 pm

It is probably not up there with The Hitcher, Near Dark or Blue Steel (all written by Eric Red around the time leading up to his writing and directing this) and despite being based on a Boileau and Narcejac short story it is probably best not to go to it expecting another Vertigo or Les diaboliques either! But its a great update of a similarly absurd central premise to the one in Mad Love (by the way, I love Peter Lorre's slightly taken aback reaction to being told that "Oh, I thought that you were magnificent in M!" in that trailer!), transplanting it to the more technological early 90s. I remember it being enjoyably nutty with some extremely vivid scenes (the opening car crash sequence that segues into the surgery/execution/dissection one in particular. I love that move from the clinical picture on the screen showing body parts cleanly coming away from the diagram to the much bloodier actual operation itself!) and it has a really terrific cast all around, including Zakes Mokae the year before he'd go on to a major role in Richard Stanley's Dust Devil; Brad Dourif in prime crazy mode (which pairs up really well with his other small cameo 'victim' scene in Argento's US-set Trauma from around the same time); and particularly Lindsay Duncan chewing the scenery with gusto as the (revealed to be mad) doctor!

I have this one on order as (as with the remake of The Blob) I want to finally to upgrade my recorded from television pan-and-scanned VHS copy of the film from 1994! And I am quite excited to get to see it in widescreen for the first time! I wonder if that scene of the aspiring basketball playing guy who gets a transplanted leg and instead of being like our hero whose transplanted murderer's arm keeps trying to strangle people instead unfortunately goes around being unable to prevent himself from kicking people in the backside will still play as well!

I have not had the chance to see Bad Moon yet, so I might have to try and track that down based on your positive post about it!

captveg

#1359 Post by captveg » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:36 pm

SF just announced their first UHD 4K title with The Deer Hunter (1978) (as part of the Shout Select line)

Big Ben

#1360 Post by Big Ben » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:40 pm

Great news! The DVD release of the Deer Hunter I saw over ten years ago was without a doubt one of the worst DVDs I ever had the misfortune of watching. I'm sure this will be a significant improvement.

M Sanderson

#1361 Post by M Sanderson » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:11 pm

dwk wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:04 pm
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell is also coming in May
I wonder if this will be a fresh scan in 2k unlike the flawed British and Australian releases which look like 1080i.

Hope so as I’m really into Terence Fisher movies at the moment.

jazzo

#1362 Post by jazzo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:09 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:49 pm
It is probably not up there with The Hitcher, Near Dark or Blue Steel (all written by Eric Red around the time leading up to his writing and directing this) and despite being based on a Boileau and Narcejac short story it is probably best not to go to it expecting another Vertigo or Les diaboliques either! But its a great update of a similarly absurd central premise to the one in Mad Love (by the way, I love Peter Lorre's slightly taken aback reaction to being told that "Oh, I thought that you were magnificent in M!" in that trailer!), transplanting it to the more technological early 90s. I remember it being enjoyably nutty with some extremely vivid scenes (the opening car crash sequence that segues into the surgery/execution/dissection one in particular. I love that move from the clinical picture on the screen showing body parts cleanly coming away from the diagram to the much bloodier actual operation itself!) and it has a really terrific cast all around, including Zakes Mokae the year before he'd go on to a major role in Richard Stanley's Dust Devil; Brad Dourif in prime crazy mode (which pairs up really well with his other small cameo 'victim' scene in Argento's US-set Trauma from around the same time); and particularly Lindsay Duncan chewing the scenery with gusto as the (revealed to be mad) doctor!

I have this one on order as (as with the remake of The Blob) I want to finally to upgrade my recorded from television pan-and-scanned VHS copy of the film from 1994! And I am quite excited to get to see it in widescreen for the first time! I wonder if that scene of the aspiring basketball playing guy who gets a transplanted leg and instead of being like our hero whose transplanted murderer's arm keeps trying to strangle people instead unfortunately goes around being unable to prevent himself from kicking people in the backside will still play as well!

I have not had the chance to see Bad Moon yet, so I might have to try and track that down based on your positive post about it!
Thanks Colin. I really appreciate you're taking the time to write this up.

Also, just to be clear - while I like Bad Moon, it's also no Hitcher, Blue steel or Near Dark.

colinr0380

#1363 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:49 am

Another vaguely interesting piece of trivia is that the last time that Body Parts was scheduled to play on UK television by the BBC it got pulled from the schedule due to coinciding with the death of Princess Diana. Given the vivid car crash sequence here, that was probably for the best. The other film that I remember getting pulled from the BBC's schedule at the same time in 1997 was Volker Schlöndorff's Voyager, which sadly has never turned up on television in all the years since then. Neither has Body Parts, which is why I have only ever seen it pan-and-scanned up to this point!

(Though that is still better than The Hitcher which I don't think has been on UK television at all(?) at least in the last couple of decades. The sequel and 2007 remake have been shown though, but that's not quite the same thing!)

therewillbeblus

#1364 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:55 pm

I don’t know where it’s most appropriate to post but I received my copy of The House That Jack Built today and frustratingly the peelable sticker on the slipcover is superimposed in the art on the disc cover, not as advertised on the site, which is so ugly and out of place. It’s the “rotten tomatoes” situation but I can’t foresee the reason for it except as a kind of weird plea that insinuates, “please don’t view us as a misogynistic label for releasing this film! There are women in this too!”

Image Image

black&huge

#1365 Post by black&huge » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:18 pm

Oh! I see what you mean. Yeah I gor my copy yesterday and I haven't opened it so I didnt even slip it out of the slipcover to check. Weird

Reverend Drewcifer

#1366 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Keith Gordon's A Midnight Clear available on May 26.

Hopefully The Deer Hunter includes the US commentary with Vilmos, as well as the foreign disc commentary with CImino and the late lamented FX Feeney.

dwk

#1367 Post by dwk » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:42 pm

Special Edition of Glengarry Glen Ross is coming from Shout Factory on April 28th.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1368 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:45 pm

I didn’t realize the previous Blu was OOP

dwk

#1369 Post by dwk » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:14 pm

I think the rights are with Westchester Films and Lionsgate's license must have expired.

flyonthewall2983

#1370 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:06 am

Website now says it's coming out June 2nd

dwk

#1371 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:23 pm

Scream Factory's June releases:
Orca The Killer Whale
Tales From the Darkside: The Movie
Thir13en Ghosts
The Hills Run Red

Finch

#1372 Post by Finch » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:01 pm

The wait for I Walked With A Zombie continues. Apparently sales for the other Lewtons weren't so good.

captveg

#1373 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:07 pm

More amazon leaks for June titles:

Shout Select:

Princess Caraboo (1994) (via Sony)
The Road to Wellville (1994) (via Sony)

Other:

Thomas and the Magic Railroad (2000) (via Sony)

kcota17

#1374 Post by kcota17 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm

Finch wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:01 pm
The wait for I Walked With A Zombie continues. Apparently sales for the other Lewtons weren't so good.
I’m sure it has something to do with the materials. With all the junk that comes out of Shout / Scream, I doubt they would suddenly pass on releasing more Lewtons.

captveg

#1375 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:22 pm

kcota17 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm
Finch wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:01 pm
I’m sure it has something to do with the materials. With all the junk that comes out of Shout / Scream, I doubt they would suddenly pass on releasing more Lewtons.
It's not so much just the low sales, but the low sales combined with the transfer cost and the licensing costs:

"Hello all.
The truth is poor sales. Plain and simple. The standards for the transfers is high, the cost is high, and the licensing is high. Sales did not translate. I can’t say more, but I produced these releases, and I’ve been working with the Lewton films since 2003. I’m terribly disappointed, as work was in progress on a number of titles when it was all halted. I wish it were otherwise. I appreciate all the support given and all the purchases made. Hopefully something will jumpstart their heartbeat in the future.
Thanks.
Constantine"

Source