Yesterday (Danny Boyle, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
knives

Re: Yesterday (Danny Boyle, 2019)

#51 Post by knives » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:49 pm

But we wouldn't have one of the better Bond themes in that reality.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#52 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:52 pm

The worst of all possible realities, for sure

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:53 pm

This whole thread is the equivalent of getting upset when your favorite indie band is featured in a car commercial, only more (!) pointless. How in the world can people feel the need to defend the Beatles, who literally everyone knows and whose legacy is well-preserved for all time, against anything, much less a silly romantic comedy?

colinr0380

#54 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 pm

knives wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:49 pm
But we wouldn't have one of the better Bond themes in that reality.
Or a certain Froggy Chorus!

furbicide

#55 Post by furbicide » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:36 pm

John Shade wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:59 am
This movie looks fun and stupid and won't ruin the greatest band of all time. Take the premise for what it is--they aren't going to go that deep with it, aside from some (my guess) little jokes.
Well, I can certainly agree with all of that – your last sentence pretty much sums up exactly what I expect this film to be – but "fun" is very subjective.

rawlinson

#57 Post by rawlinson » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:48 am

I'd thought a more plausible reference point was Goodnight Sweetheart. An early 90s BBC time-travel comedy. Somebody travels in time from the 90s to wartime London in the 40s and there's a running subplot where he pretends to be a songwriter and he keeps passing The Beatles songs off as his own. Given that Curtis was also writing for the BBC at the same time and it was a very popular show I took that to be something that provided inspiration.

colinr0380

#58 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Oh gosh, that show was popular Sunday evening light entertainment for a certain generation nostalgic for the days of rationing and getting bombed in the Blitz, but it made me pine for the slightly less offensive Last of the Summer Wine! That was also the sitcom in which Nicholas Lyndhurst was trapped between his empty modern lifestyle torn between 'modern' wife and the chance to regularly escape through his conveniently discovered time portal to chat up the more idealised 1940s barmaid as a mysterious stranger with eerie foreknowledge of every future event, including Beatles songs. He ends up juggling both relationships at the same time and ends up having children with both women, although the modern day woman has a miscarriage and becomes a entrepreneur beauty shop millionaire and best friends of the Blairs.

It sort of puts Welcome To Marwencol into perspective!

Persona

#59 Post by Persona » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Maybe Richard Curtis bonked his head, thought he only imagined this Enormity e-book, and then proceeded promptly to write Yesterday.

Zot!

#60 Post by Zot! » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:49 pm

This is kind of a regular time travel joke, like the Chuck Berry mobius strip from Back to the Future. I tried to think of the worst Time Travel movie I could, and thought I've never seen it, youtube confirms the Martin Lawrence vehicle Black Knight incorporates a performance by Lawrence of Sly and the Family Stone's "Dance to the Music" in a Medieval Royal Court.

Also, I am reminded of the anecdote that Frank Sinatra used to introduce "Something" as his favorite Lennon/McCartney composition, when it was a Harrison song. I'm sure it was a equal parts ignorance and contempt for having to incorporate this long-hair garbage to keep his act current.

Mr Sheldrake

Re: The Films of 2019

#61 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:15 am

The premise is daft and I was prepared to resist wholehardedly. But having been a teenager at the height of Beatlemania, once I heard the songs being performed in pared down versions by Patel, nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks. These songs are really good! The joy of being alive!

Boyle keeps the pace lickety-split. The funniest bits were Patel struggling to remember the lyrics of songs that in this alternate universe nobody (including the internet) knew except him. How would the public respond at first hearing? Unsurprisingly, they love them and Patel is proclaimed the new Shakespeare. At a Moscow concert he introduces Back in the USSR, 30 years after the fall and the crowd goes wild.

There are bumps including the gooey, predictable love story. Lily James uses her considerable charm to deflect some of the goo. Kate McKinnon delivers a bizarrely unfunny performance as Patel's money mad LA agent. The surprise cameo appearance near the end probably doesn't work but it was fun to imagine.

Roger Ryan

#62 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 pm

I was disappointed that virtually all of the moments showing Patel's character trying to navigate being a surrogate Beatle were revealed/spoiled in the trailer while huge swaths of this film are devoted to the sub-Love, Actually relationship subplot. In the hands of someone who isn't Richard Curtis or Danny Boyle, this might have been a real charmer about the value of a song vs. the cult of personality, or taken the "Sound of Thunder" concept further (anywhere?) to show how the absence of the Beatles had subtly changed the world.

There are a couple of scenes that suggest much grander ideas than the film cares to deliver on, and too many that are inconsequential. I actually felt bad for Ed Sheeran who is given the line "I always knew someone would come along who was greater than me" and, apparently, directed to deliver the line absolutely straight-faced. As to that "cameo appearance" referenced above by "Mr. Sheldrake"...
SpoilerShow
The image of a 78-year-old Lennon is, frankly, too emotionally-fraught for a such a lightweight film to handle appropriately. Still, I was touched...then frustrated with the appearance when "Lennon" was given so little to do. The suggestion that Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, and Starr actually exist in this world, but are not famous musicians, should have been what the whole movie is about. In fact, the most logical ending to Yesterday, given that Patel's character ultimately decides to discontinue the ruse, would be for him to round up the four septuagenarian Liverpudlians and teach them how to play their own songs for the benefit of humanity.

Magic Hate Ball

#63 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:48 pm

This film seems to exist primarily so the entire world can group-brainstorm a better remake.