OOP Indicator

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

KJones77

Re: OOP Indicator

#76 Post by KJones77 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:54 pm

rapta wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:45 pm
Interesting stuff is suddenly going OOP now, after warnings some months back. I wonder which other titles are down to their last 50/100/200 copies?

I wish other labels were as upfront about this to be honest. I've noticed a handful of MoC titles have gone OOP in the last year, but no word from Eureka directly on those (i.e. whether they'll be reissued or not). I also wish Arrow would let people know when the first print-run is about to sell out because it often means deciding between a disc with or without the booklet.
IIRC MichaelB said that either Mickey One or Bunny Lake Is Missing would be the next to go OOP during the last sale.

Now that the latter is gone, I would assume Mickey One is next.

palntsc

#77 Post by palntsc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:00 pm

With regard to this, has anyone got any word of The Lady from Shangai going OOP? I noticed yesterday it's not available at Amazon UK, so was wondering whether it's a temporary low-stock issue or not...

MichaelB

#78 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:01 pm

I’m not privy to stock levels, but Mickey One and The Stone Killer have both been mentioned in this context, and the two fastest sellers in the recent sale were The Lady From Shanghai and The Passenger.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#79 Post by swo17 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:02 pm

rapta wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:45 pm
I wish other labels were as upfront about this to be honest. I've noticed a handful of MoC titles have gone OOP in the last year, but no word from Eureka directly on those (i.e. whether they'll be reissued or not). I also wish Arrow would let people know when the first print-run is about to sell out because it often means deciding between a disc with or without the booklet.
I agree that Indicator's way of handling this is the gold standard

rapta

#80 Post by rapta » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:01 pm
I’m not privy to stock levels, but Mickey One and The Stone Killer have both been mentioned in this context, and the two fastest sellers in the recent sale were The Lady From Shanghai and The Passenger.
Michael, am I right in thinking the recent restock of The Big Heat is just returned stock from retailers rather than one of these titles likely to go OOP soon?

MichaelB

#81 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:30 pm

As I said, I don't know any more than you about stock levels. Although as The Big Heat has been on the market something like two years now, I suspect there are fewer copies in stock than, say, Immaculate Conception.

MichaelB

#82 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:22 am

Update via their latest newsletter:
Our Limited Edition SINBAD TRILOGY box set (released June 2017) is now officially out-of-print. Individual Standard Editions for all three films will follow in 2019. BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (released February 2017) and EYES OF LAURA MARS (released November 2017) are also officially out-of-print. Standard Editions will be released in 2019.

We currently have very low stock (down to double figures) of TORTURE GARDEN and VAMPIRES, and expect them to sell out soon. We also have low stock of the following titles:

BLUE COLLAR
EXPERIMENT IN TERROR
GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME
THE PASSENGER
THE STONE KILLER

All of our out-of-print titles can be viewed here.

More updates next month.

MichaelB

#83 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:21 pm

Torture Garden is officially OOP. There may be a handful of copies floating round retail chains, but when they're gone, they're gone.

A standard edition (same BD, but no booklet or reversible sleeve) will be released later this year.

MichaelB

#84 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 02, 2019 9:00 am

Latest OOP update: the titles most likely to sell out next are Vampires and The Last Movie.

And after that:

• Blue Collar
• Experiment in Terror
• Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
• Happy Birthday to Me
• The Passenger
• The Stone Killer

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#85 Post by swo17 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:19 am

The Stone Killer's been on this list for over a year!

MichaelB

#86 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 31, 2019 10:16 am

OOP alert: Vampires is down to the last 27 copies, and The Last Movie is down to the last 68.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#87 Post by swo17 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:23 am

Thank you for posting these alerts, it's much appreciated

antnield

#88 Post by antnield » Fri May 31, 2019 3:57 pm

Vampires is now officially out of print. Standard Edition to follow later in the year.

DavyGallagher

#89 Post by DavyGallagher » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:14 am

Last Movie is such a great package of a film that really has deserved it's reappraisal. Anyone who loves it and doesn't have American Dreamer, the region free doc made on the set, that blu is out in the US and is the perfect companion piece.

antnield

#90 Post by antnield » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:01 pm

The Last Movie has only eight copies remaining.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#91 Post by Drucker » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:24 pm

antnield wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:01 pm
The Last Movie has only eight copies remaining.
I ordered my copy with Scum before the latter was released, I should be okay to receive my order correct?

RitrovataBlue

#92 Post by RitrovataBlue » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:37 pm

I’m assuming that Amazon UK’s “In Stock” status for Last Movie indicates that they have at least some of those 8 copies? I certainly hope so, as I just ordered one (alongside The Passenger).

Ovader

#93 Post by Ovader » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:50 pm

The Last Movie is officially sold out!
EDIT: On their website.
Last edited by Ovader on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Cope

#94 Post by John Cope » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:54 pm

Hope my order (that I just placed) went through.

KJones77

#95 Post by KJones77 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:20 pm

RitrovataBlue wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:37 pm
I’m assuming that Amazon UK’s “In Stock” status for Last Movie indicates that they have at least some of those 8 copies? I certainly hope so, as I just ordered one (alongside The Passenger).
Yes and no. Indicator's OOP reports only concern what they have in stock themselves, so The Last Movie is sold out on their end. However, third-party retailers may still have stock.

rapta

#96 Post by rapta » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:37 pm

HMV definitely still has copies (my local has one).

Is it just me or are Indicator titles going OOP way quicker recently than in previous months/years? I guess they're gauging the popularity appropriately from title to title, which is good to see. I generally buy all the stuff I really want on pre-order/release, and have then bought other titles when I can afford to. The only titles of note I've missed out on so far are Vampires and Torture Garden (and I'm happy to get reissues of both).

Orson Kane

#97 Post by Orson Kane » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 am

rapta wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:37 pm
and I'm happy to get reissues of both
The only thing I worry about is if Indicator (and other labels) release a limited edition but then don't have the rights to release a standard edition?

Am I right in thinking that EVERY limited edition Indicator have released so far has DEFINITELY included a standard edition?

As I've got so many discs I want to buy, from various labels, I normally have to wait for sales and things but sometimes, if I'm worried about a particular title going OOP I'll buy it quickly before sellers on Amazon Marketplace or eBay start demanding huge sums for a film.

Perhaps Indicator might announce which limited editions will be the only versions of their films?

MichaelB

#98 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:56 am

Orson Kane wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 am
The only thing I worry about is if Indicator (and other labels) release a limited edition but then don't have the rights to release a standard edition?
If a standard edition doesn't appear (see below), it will be for commercial reasons rather than contractual ones.
Am I right in thinking that EVERY limited edition Indicator have released so far has DEFINITELY included a standard edition?
These have had standard editions so far:

Body Double
• Charley Varrick
• Christine
• Hardcore
• The New Centurions
• Night of the Demon
• 10 Rillington Place

...but they've said that Bunny Lake Is Missing, Eyes of Laura Mars, The Last Movie, Torture Garden, Vampires and the three Sinbad films will get standard editions this year (the Sinbad films being released separately). And that will account for all OOP titles to date.
As I've got so many discs I want to buy, from various labels, I normally have to wait for sales and things but sometimes, if I'm worried about a particular title going OOP I'll buy it quickly before sellers on Amazon Marketplace or eBay start demanding huge sums for a film.

Perhaps Indicator might announce which limited editions will be the only versions of their films?
That's impossible to know without either psychic powers or the invention of a time machine. It may be the case that some limited editions don't get replacement standard editions, but this will be because they've sold so slowly (as in taking several years to shift 3,000 copies) that there's no good commercial justification. The overwhelming majority of OOP titles were released before the end of 2017, with Charley Varrick, Night of the Demon and The Last Movie being the only more recent ones - and in all three cases it was flagged up more than once that they were selling unusually quickly. So you should be fine.

MichaelB

#99 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 am

Oh, and Blue Collar and The Passenger are the other post-2017 titles you might want to keep an eye on. They've certainly been selling fast enough to justify standard editions, but right now the LEs are still available.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#100 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 am

The point of doing LE is making sure these copies are shifted swiftly prior to any price drop or multi-buy sale, so no label in its right mind would announce people can wait buying this or that LE because a cheaper release will follow !