Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Kino Insider

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2026 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Coming August 13th!

Razzia Sur La Chnouf (1955) In French with optional English subtitles

• A 4K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer

Razzia Sur La Chnouf is based on a novel by the legendary writer Auguste Le Breton (Rififi, Bob Le Flambeur) with direction by Henri Decoin (One Step to Eternity) — After a spell in the U.S.A., master criminal Henri Ferré dit ‘Le Nantais’ (Jean Gabin, Touchez Pas Au Grisbi) returns to Paris and is recruited by Paul Liski (Marcel Dalio, To Have and Have Not), head of a major narcotics ring, to oversee and improve the efficiency of their distribution. Merchandise has been disappearing and unreliable dealers must be eliminated. For the latter, Henri is assigned two hitmen, Roger le Catalan (Lino Ventura, The Sicilian Clan) and Bibi (Albert Rémy, The Train). Released as Razzia in the U.S., Razzia Sur La Chnoufthrillingly explores the criminal underworld of 1950s Paris.

Kino Insider

#2027 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Coming August 13th!

Port of Shadows (1938) with optional English subtitles

• A 4K Restoration
• Introduction to the movie by professor/film critic Ginette Vincendeau (HD - 6:24)
• On the Port of the Shadows - documentary (HD - 44:10)
• Theatrical Trailer

Port of Shadows (Le Quai Des Brumes) is director Marcel Carné’s (Children of Paradise) controversial adaptation of the Pierre Mac Orlan novel of the same name. Down a foggy, desolate road to the port city of Le Havre travels Jean (Jean Gabin, Touchez Pas Au Grisbi), an army deserter looking for another chance at life. Fate, however, has a different plan for him, when acts of both revenge and kindness turn him into front-page news. Port of Shadows starkly portrays an underworld of lonely souls wrestling with their own destinies, a quintessential example of poetic realism, one of the classics of the golden age of French cinema. Co-starring the blue-eyed phenomenon Michèle Morgan (The Chase) in her first major role and the menacing Michel Simon (The Train), with stunning cinematography by Eugen Schüfftan (The Hustler).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kino Insider

#2028 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 4:03 pm

the__projectionist wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am
It's good to hear you working on Guy Maddin's film. What about Guerin (really wishing for In the City of Sylvia) -- Kino Insider?
We don't have the Guerin film, it's with Cinema Guild

Kino Insider

#2029 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:04 pm
Are Front Page and Foreign Affair the last of the Universal Wilders? Or did KL also license 5 Graves, Major/Minor, and the Wilder-penned Midnight?
Five Graves to Cairo and The Lost Weekend will be released later this year or early next. Both will be new 4K scans of the original camera negative.

diamonds

#2030 Post by diamonds » Wed May 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 pm
• Interview with director Jacques Becker (13:23)
Is this actually an interview with Jean Becker? I only ask because the rest of the extras appear to match the Studio Canal Region B release, and that one runs about the same length as the Jean Becker interview on theirs. I'll be picking it up regardless, but if there is actually a new translated interview with Jacques Becker himself that'd be icing on the cake.

Kino Insider

#2031 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 pm

diamonds wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:04 pm
Kino Insider wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 pm
• Interview with director Jacques Becker (13:23)
Is this actually an interview with Jean Becker? I only ask because the rest of the extras appear to match the Studio Canal Region B release, and that one runs about the same length as the Jean Becker interview on theirs. I'll be picking it up regardless, but if there is actually a new translated interview with Jacques Becker himself that'd be icing on the cake.
You are correct sir, we knew we were getting the same extras and pulled the info from the DVD Compare site - it should be Jean.

andyli

#2032 Post by andyli » Wed May 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm
Port of Shadows (1938) with optional English subtitles

• A 4K Restoration
• Introduction to the movie by professor/film critic Ginette Vincendeau (HD - 6:24)
• On the Port of the Shadows - documentary (HD - 44:10)
• Restoring 'Le Quai des brumes' - featurette (HD - 10:34)
• Theatrical Trailer
Are you sure this is a 4K restoration? I ask because the release seems to mirror Studio Canal's 2012 edition, even down to the restoration featurette, which was from a 2K scan/restoration (see review here). I am a little concerned as Kino has been touting lots and lots of 4k restorations. As far as I know Port of Shadows (as well as Touchez pas au grisbi, Alphaville, etc.) was not labeled as 4K restoration on its Studio Canal edition.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2033 Post by tenia » Thu May 23, 2019 2:05 am

IIRC, the Port of Shadows restoration is a reconstruction 70% based on elements far from the negative. It's definitely soft, and ostensibly looking like not coming from the O-neg or anything close. However, I don't recall having felt it was DNR, but that might be my memory.

nitin

#2034 Post by nitin » Thu May 23, 2019 7:13 am

I saw the Studio Canal blu ray of Port Of Shadows recently, it seemed to have incorrect black levels to me. Once I addressed that, it looked fine if unspectacular.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2035 Post by tenia » Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 am

I do remember it to be quite dull looking, contrast-wise, so it might be it. I guess I thought at the time it was a by-product of the elements used for the restoration.

L.A.

#2036 Post by L.A. » Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 am

The Treasures of Yiddish Cinema

Did you have plans to release this on Blu?

Kino Insider

#2037 Post by Kino Insider » Thu May 23, 2019 12:37 pm

Coming August 27th!

Day of the Outlaw (1959) with optional English subtitles
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
• Theatrical Trailer

(1959) B&W 92 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Screen legend Robert Ryan (The Wild Bunch, The Professionals) stars alongside Burl Ives (The Big Country) and Tina Louise (TV’s Gilligan’s Island) in this bleak and wintry western from cult director André De Toth (Pitfall, The Indian Fighter). Tough-as-nails Blaise Starrett (Ryan) is about to face a showdown with a fellow rancher whose wife Starrett happens to be in love with. But this small-town conflict is nothing compared to what's on the horizon when outlaw Jack Bruhn (Ives) and his vicious gang ride into town. On the lam after a brutal robbery, the outlaws terrorize the townspeople and hold them captive, even as Bruhn lies dying from a bullet wound to his chest. When Starrett eventually leads the homesteaders on a trail out of harm's way, the tension explodes to an unforgettable climax. Filled with action and suspense, this is one Day you'll never forget! Top-notch screenplay by legendary writer Philip Yordan (The Man from Laramie), based on a novel by television veteran Lee E. Wells (Highway Patrol). Wonderfully shot by Russell Harlan (Witness for the Prosecution) and featuring Nehemiah Persoff (Some Like it Hot), Lance Fuller (This Island Earth), Elisha Cook Jr. (I Wake Up Screaming) in strong supporting roles.

Kino Insider

#2038 Post by Kino Insider » Thu May 23, 2019 12:59 pm

Coming August 27th!

Man Without a Star (1955) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• Theatrical Trailer

(1955) Color 89 Minutes 2.00:1 Not Rated
Screen legend Kirk Douglas (Lonely Are the Brave, The Vikings) stars in this exciting King Vidor (Duel in the Sun) western about a rugged loner who becomes caught up in a bloody range war when he falls in love with two beautiful women. Dempsey Rae (Douglas) is a wandering cowboy who doesn’t like the fact that his open spaces are being fenced in by greedy ranchers and decides to help a town fight back against ranch owner Reed Bowman (Jeanne Crain, Leave Her to Heaven) after he meets the town’s sexy madam (Claire Trevor, Stagecoach). Loved by western buffs for its offbeat humor and Douglas’s witty performance, Man Without a Star features a top-notch script by Borden Chase (Red River) and D.D. Beauchamp (The Man from the Alamo) with stunning photography by the great Russell Metty (Midnight Lace). William Campbell (Escape from Fort Bravo), Richard Boone (Hombre) and Jay C. Flippen (Thunder Bay) co-star in this classic action-packed western.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2039 Post by Drucker » Thu May 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Awesome. Always meant to pick up the German disc.

agnamaracs

#2040 Post by agnamaracs » Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am

L.A. wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 am

This feels more like a Flicker Alley title, but I'm probably wrong.

L.A.

#2041 Post by L.A. » Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 am

agnamaracs wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am
L.A. wrote:

FA sounds great too. Actually even better because their releases are region free, maybe one or two from them are coded A because of contractual reasons.

Kino Insider

#2042 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 24, 2019 11:37 am

agnamaracs wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am
L.A. wrote:

Most likely next year.

Kino Insider

#2043 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Wishing everyone a happy Memorial Day weekend.

Check the KLSC Facebook and Twitter pages for 2 New Announcements this Saturday and Sunday at 11:00AM.

Both are brand new 4K restorations!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics/
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic

kekid

#2044 Post by kekid » Sun May 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Question for Kino Insider: All the recent American Film Theater titles issued by Kino have English subtitles. They are very helpful. The first few titles (e.g, "Three Sisters") did not have them. I am not sure why they were treated differently, especially since the sound quality on them makes it difficult to understand the dialogue. Is there a plan to re-issue them with subtitles? Thank you.

Kino Insider

#2045 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Coming August 20th!

4D Man (1959) with optional English subtitles
• Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative!
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Harland Smith
• Audio Commentary by Kris Yeaworth (son of director Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr.)
• Reflections from The 4D Man - On-camera Interview with Producer Jack H. Harris
• On-camera Interview with Co-star Lee Meriwether
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 85 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
He walks through walls of solid steel and stone… into the 4th dimension! From legendary producer Jack H. Harris and director Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr., the team behind cult favorites The Blob and Dinosaurus!, comes this sci-fi horror classic starring Robert Lansing (The Grissom Gang), Lee Meriwether (Catwoman/Miss Kitka of Batman: The Movie), Robert Strauss (Stalag 17), James Congdon (The Left Handed Gun) and Patty Duke (The Miracle Worker). Science whiz Dr. Tony Nelson (Congdon) has made an amazing discovery: he has developed a method of stimulating the molecular structure of solid objects so that they can be joined or passed through one another. Stumbling upon this incredible secret is Tony’s older brother, Scott (Lansing), a fellow scientist who decides to take the experiment one step further—and soon finds himself able to pass through doors and walls. But his newfound freedom of movement has unforeseen side effects, for each time the power is used, Scott ages a bit, and only by touching other living beings and draining their energy (and thus, their lives) can he maintain his age. In addition, this incredible force is driving Scott quite mad... and he’s just noticed his beautiful would-be fiancée (Meriwether) expressing an interest in his brother Tony. Filled with eye-popping special effects, 4D Man takes sci-fi to a whole new dimension!

Kino Insider

#2046 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 28, 2019 1:57 pm

kekid wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:01 pm
Question for Kino Insider: All the recent American Film Theater titles issued by Kino have English subtitles. They are very helpful. The first few titles (e.g, "Three Sisters") did not have them. I am not sure why they were treated differently, especially since the sound quality on them makes it difficult to understand the dialogue. Is there a plan to re-issue them with subtitles? Thank you.
The first three or four did not include subtitles, the rest should all include them.

Kino Insider

#2047 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Coming August 20th!

Dinosaurus! (1960) with optional English subtitles
• Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative!
• Audio Commentary by Kris Yeaworth (son of director Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr.)
• Dinosaurus!: A Monstrous Story - Interviews with Producer Jack H. Harris, Co-star Paul Lukather and Film Historians Donald F. Glut and Bill Warren
• Reversible Blu-ray Art
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 83 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Alive with thrills that started a million years ago! From legendary producer Jack H. Harris and director Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr., the team behind sci-fi classics The Blob and 4D Man, comes this cult fantasy-adventure starring Ward Ramsey, Paul Lukather and Kristina Hanson. Building a new harbor off the coast of a Caribbean island, an American engineer (Ramsey) sets off a blast on the ocean floor that uncovers the frozen bodies of a Brontosaurus, a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a Neanderthal Man. The dinosaurs are hauled ashore by the construction crew, who are unaware that the giants are still alive. Struck by lightning during a fierce tropical storm, the monsters awaken and prowl the island jungles! Also restored to life is the caveman (Gregg Martell), an amiable brute who joins the island boy Julio (Alan Roberts) in a series of wacky misadventures. A merry grab-bag of sci-fi, action and comedy, Dinosaurus! features stop-motion dinosaur animation by the legendary Projects Unlimited effects team (The Time Machine, The Outer Limits). Beautifully shot in Scope by the great Stanley Cortez (Since You Went Away, The Night of the Hunter).

Kino Insider

#2048 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Coming August 20th!

Billy the Kid vs. Dracula (1966) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Lee Gambin and John Harrison
• Trailers

Color 73 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Billy the Kid vs. Dracula is an outrageous low-budget horror-western directed by cult filmmaker William Beaudine (The Ape Man, Voodoo Man). Traveling by stagecoach, Dracula (the great John Carradine) plots to convert Billy the Kid’s (famed stuntman Chuck Courtney) fiancée, Betty Bentley (Melinda Casey), into his vampire bride. When the sinister bloodsucker kidnaps Betty and takes her to an abandoned silver mine, Billy must confront the Count, but soon realizes his six-shooters’ bullets are no match for the undead—and an all-out battle of good vs. evil ensues. Filmmaker Carl K. Hittleman (36 Hours) wrote the screenplay for this wild cult classic, beautifully shot by Lothrop B. Worth (Gog) and featuring Marjorie Bennett (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?) and Harry Carey Jr. (Cherry 2000).

Kino Insider

#2049 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 31, 2019 2:46 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

The Sting II (1983) Starring Jackie Gleason, Teri Garr, Mac Davis, Oliver Reed and Karl Malden - Shot by Bill Butler (Jaws) - Music by Lalo Schifrin (Dirty Harry) - Written by David S. Ward (The Sting) - Directed by Jeremy Kagan (The Chosen).

Kino Insider

#2050 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:37 pm

9/3 Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) | The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) | The Man in the White Suit (1951) 9/10 Reap the Wild Wind (1942) | The Spoilers (1942) | Pittsburgh (1942) | Mirage (1965) | Blindfold (1965) 9/17 Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) | Support Your Local Gunfighter (1970) | The Bounty Man (1972 TV movie) DVD only | The Trackers (1971 TV movie) DVD only | Daughters of Joshua Gabe (1972 TV movie) DVD only 9/24 Not Wanted (1940) | Never Fear (1950) | The Hitch-Hiker (1953) | The Bigamist (1953) | Ida Lupino: Filmmaker Collection