Bergman Island (Mia Hansen-Løve, 20??)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Bergman Island (Mia Hansen-Løve, 20??)

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:30 am

Mia Hansen-Løve's next film is also called Bergman Island
Also chosen by Arte France Cinéma is Bergman Island by Mia Hansen-Løve, with filming due to commence this summer, featuring Greta Gerwig, John Turturro, Mia Wasikowska and Anders Danielsen Lie among the cast. This will be the 7th full-length film by the director, following on from All is Forgiven [+] (Directors’ Fortnight 2007), Father of my Children [+] (Special Jury Award of the Un Certain Regard competition in Cannes, 2009), Goodbye First Love [+] (Special Mention in Locarno, 2011), Eden [+] (presented in Toronto, 2014 and in competition in the San Sebastian Film Festival), Things to Come [+] (Silver Bear for best direction in Berlin, 2016) and Maya (currently in post-production). Her next film, which focuses on a couple but also on the creative process, will be set on the little Swedish island of Farö, which Ingmar Bergman made his home, and where some of his great masterpieces were shot. At the heart of the tale are two filmmakers who have travelled to the island in search of inspiration. But things don’t go as planned. A strange distance takes root between the young woman and her husband. As the days go by, fiction melds with reality, and the island’s secrets gradually float to the surface … Handling the production of the picture are CG Cinéma (France), Plattform Produktion (Sweden), Bioskop Film (Germany) and Scope Pictures (Belgium).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 11 & 477 The Seventh Seal and Bergman Island

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:31 am

Morbii

Re: Bergman Island (Mia Hansen-Løve, 2019)

#3 Post by Morbii » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:31 am

Looks interesting.

Maybe Criterion can secure the rights and release it as spine #477 since the doc comes with Seventh Seal also!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:41 pm

The film's DP Denis Lenoir is writing a blog of the production; in part II he reveals that "the main actor" (John Turturro) can't leave the U.S. "for private reasons" and will also be recast (in addition to the already-announced replacement of Gerwig with Vicky Krieps).

All the Best People

#5 Post by All the Best People » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:30 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:41 pm
The film's DP Denis Lenoir is writing a blog of the production; in part II he reveals that "the main actor" (John Turturro) can't leave the U.S. "for private reasons" and will also be recast (in addition to the already-announced replacement of Gerwig with Vicky Krieps).
These links no longer work, even though a Google search points to them also. MHL is one of my favorite current directors so I'd love to read these if they reappear.

senseabove

#6 Post by senseabove » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:36 am

MHL was asked about this during some Q&As at BAMPFA and said that they shot half of it last Summer and will be shooting the rest this coming Summer.

She's doing a retro this week of most of her work (everything but Maya) plus a few selections from other directors, and I've very much liked the ones I've been able to get to (including two of her choices: Hou's Café Lumière and Gerard Blain's Le Pélican). Unless I'm overlooking something, I was a little surprised I couldn't find more discussion of her movies here...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:40 am

She came up in this thread at least

FrauBlucher

Bergman Island (Mia Hansen-Løve, 2019)

#8 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am

Mia Hansen-Love writes and directs Bergman Island
"The picture revolves around an American filmmaking couple who retreat to the island for the summer to each write screenplays for their upcoming films in an act of pilgrimage to the place that inspired Bergman. As the summer and their screenplays advance, the lines between reality and fiction start to blur against the backdrop of the Island's wild landscape."
Looks like cast has changed since initial post.

Cremildo

#9 Post by Cremildo » Wed May 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Tim Roth has joined the cast.

THR describes it as a "supernatural melodrama".