Diamantino (Gabriel Abrantes & Daniel Schmidt, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
lzx

Diamantino (Gabriel Abrantes & Daniel Schmidt, 2018)

#1 Post by lzx » Mon May 06, 2019 6:45 pm

US trailer for Gabriel Abrantes and Daniel Schmidt's Diamantino;

And the Portuguese trailer, featuring an utterly charming commentary by the titular character.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Cool DVD/BD Packaging and Covers

#2 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:03 pm

There’s no way any movie could be as good as this cover

therewillbeblus

Re: The Films of 2019

#3 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:27 pm

Diamantino: This Portuguese political surrealistic satire outdoes Bacurau and then some. I wasn’t prepared for the places it went and don’t want to give anything away but if you’re a fan of the absurd comedies that are intelligent underneath the thick coating of insanity, watch this immediately. There’s definitely a serious context too and claustrophobic gritty camerawork that diversifies moods is used effectively, but I was laughing up a storm to complement the implications of the darker content. The paths that the filmmakers and actors navigate take the material seriously in playing the most ridiculous of ideas completely straight, a testament to the collaborative effort of various skillsets to achieve such unique vision. I would’ve loved to have been a fly on the wall when this was being thought up in the writer’s room.

knives

Re: The Films of 2019

#4 Post by knives » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:39 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:27 pm
Diamantino: This Portuguese political surrealistic satire outdoes Bacurau and then some. I wasn’t prepared for the places it went and don’t want to give anything away but if you’re a fan of the absurd comedies that are intelligent underneath the thick coating of insanity, watch this immediately. There’s definitely a serious context too and claustrophobic gritty camerawork that diversifies moods is used effectively, but I was laughing up a storm to complement the implications of the darker content. The paths that the filmmakers and actors navigate take the material seriously in playing the most ridiculous of ideas completely straight, a testament to the collaborative effort of various skillsets to achieve such unique vision. I would’ve loved to have been a fly on the wall when this was being thought up in the writer’s room.
This was pretty brilliant and definitely hilarious. I particularly liked the multi-modal aesthetic the film used to emphasize how technology effects people's perspectives. I think the thing that keeps the film from being horrifying isn't the comedy (Greenaway does some similar things for a disturbing experience with tons of humour), but that Diamantino is such a pleasant goober. He's so sincere despite all of the horribleness that the film can't help but keep a smile on the face.