Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Irresponsible Conjecture

Latest news on Arrow Video and Arrow Academy releases. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.

Moderator: MichaelB

dwk

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Irresponsible Conjecture

#976 Post by dwk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:01 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:50 pm
Arrow tweeted this.... Here.
In 2020 the Universal Monsters return! Born on this day in 1906 one of the original monsters Lon Chaney Jr.
Does this mean what I think it means?
I assume they are talking about Blumhouse's upcoming Invisible Man remake.
Last edited by dwk on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#977 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Isn't the pic from the already released Spider Baby?

dda1996a

#978 Post by dda1996a » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:40 pm
tenia wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am
With also Late August, Early September being restored by Pathé for an April release in France, that's quite a hefty amount of newly restored Assayas movies (with his supervision).
Paris Awakens and A New Life have also already been restored, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another double bill come from Arrow later this year
Anyone know what happened to all the extras Arrow nixed from that release?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#979 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:59 pm
Curious what you think it means. The recent “Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection” is a region-free Blu-ray release. I’d guess they are maybe looking at a release of the 2010 remake “The Wolfman” with Benicio del Toro, if anything.
IIRC, there was recently some rumors that Universal would be releasing a follow up in their Dark Universe reboot despite The Mummy’s BO flop, and that it would be released in 2020.
I don’t think there’s much more to read there except this contextualisation of their “Celebrity birthday of the day” Facebook post.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#980 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Arrow posted a tweet today with Friedkin's Cruising and the Arrow Video logo, celebrating the anniversary of its premiere. Has this been formally announced?

Tweet here.

rapta

#982 Post by rapta » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Much to my surprise, according to the BBFC listing, Arrow will be releasing Jacques Tourneur’s Nightfall soon. I say ‘surprise’ as I had naturally assumed Indicator would be interested in another Tourneur noir from the Columbia catalogue after the huge success they had with Night of the Demon.

Cremildo

#983 Post by Cremildo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:25 am

From Arrow Academy, on Twitter:
***NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE COMING!***

Join us this Friday (March 15th) at 3.00pm GMT / 8.00am PDT / 11.00am EDT for our June title reveals!

swo17

#984 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:31 am

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes

ianungstad

#985 Post by ianungstad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:34 am

The Running Man (Carol Reed). Recent Academy postcards revealed it's forthcoming.

rapta

#986 Post by rapta » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:58 am

ianungstad wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:34 am
The Running Man (Carol Reed). Recent Academy postcards revealed it's forthcoming.
Really? Can you take a pic of the said postcard.

Said before, but can't really understand why no UK label has yet released Carol Reed's Our Man in Havana. From what I've seen the Sony master is impeccable!

KJones77

#987 Post by KJones77 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm

If Reed's The Running Man and Nightfall were to be announced this month, it would be such a great pair of announcements by Arrow.

Calvin

#988 Post by Calvin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm

From an Arrow Q&A over on the dark (blue) side:

- Hopefully more "Fukasaku and/or Sonny Chiba" this year

- Asian cinema from outside of Japan this year

- Re: Robocop: "[they're] not doing a new restoration, but using the current master which we can emphasise is a director-approved 4K scan of the O-neg, though we are going to try and improve the unrated sections. No 1.66:1 option (not possible without going back to raw scans or starting again, plus was a concession to 4x3 TVs when Criterion released the film). No Robodoc due to scheduling and legal issues though we are working with the producers on some new extras! There are also no plans for a UHD release at this time."

- No UHD plans, but first 4K digital release later this year

- More film noir and gialli

- Tried for but didn't get Angel's Egg and The Masque of the Red Death

- No to Raul Ruiz, Hideo Gosha, Bergman, Hard Target, Lynch's Dune, Death Wish 2, Smile (Michael Ritchie), Dog Soldiers, Friedkin's Rampage, Trick or Treat

- Available materials not good enough for Alexander Nevsky

- Cruising is currently a one-off from Warner

- An 80s teen movie will be announced in the next few months

Big Ben

#989 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:14 pm

I suppose Cruising is the higher profile Friedkin but I've wanted to see Rampage for years now. I know VHS copies exist but it's never been out on DVD/Blu-Ray here in the US. Is a rights issue holding it up? I know it's original distributor DEG went Bankrupt and Miramax eventually put it out five years after it was made. Was a reason given for Rampage not coming out or do you know?

Finch

#990 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:27 pm

- No to Raul Ruiz, Hideo Gosha
Oh man. That's very disappointing. Who else would release their films if not Arrow?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#991 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Calvin wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm
- Available materials not good enough for Alexander Nevsky
I... guess I'll see what goes on with the French release then. I don't expect it to be particularly good since the French label releasing it is far from having a stellar reputation, but that doesn't bode well.
Finch wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:27 pm
- No to Raul Ruiz, Hideo Gosha
Oh man. That's very disappointing. Who else would release their films if not Arrow?
True. I currently can't picture Gosha's movies getting released on HD in the UK in any other label than Arrow.

Luke M

#992 Post by Luke M » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Interesting they intend to release 4K digital but no UHDs are planned. With Samsung pulling back on new 4k players, hard to see smaller studios jumping on board.

M Sanderson

#993 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:58 am

Big Ben wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:14 pm
I suppose Cruising is the higher profile Friedkin but I've wanted to see Rampage for years now. I know VHS copies exist but it's never been out on DVD/Blu-Ray here in the US. Is a rights issue holding it up? I know it's original distributor DEG went Bankrupt and Miramax eventually put it out five years after it was made. Was a reason given for Rampage not coming out or do you know?
I'd also like to know. RAMPAGE is truly fascinating and needs a definitive edition as the two different cuts provide the film with very different meanings. Also, this was barely even released on DVD - I had a Polish import DVD - in just one of the two cuts.

A real curiosity as it alternates tones and genres, from serial killer to dynamic police procedural to horror to courtroom TV movie...

Hope someone good plans to do it.

Also I guess it would be cheesy fun to see the two CAT Squad TV movies, at some point.

colinr0380

#994 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:13 am

Calvin wrote:
- Tried for but didn't get Angel's Egg
That would explain why it does not appear on the upcoming In The Aftermath disc, with a discussion from Andrew Osmond about Angel's Egg instead, which is a shame but hopefully that means someone else might be releasing it (either that or it was too expensive to justify picking up)

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#995 Post by Godot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Adrian Martin's wikipedia page notes he recorded commentaries for these upcoming Arrow releases:
Hold Back the Dawn (Leisen – Arrow, 2019 forthcoming)
The Far Country (Mann – Arrow, 2019 forthcoming)
I searched the forum but didn't see these releases listed. Usually I'm the last to know, so forgive me if I missed their earlier announcements.

rapta

#996 Post by rapta » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Godot wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Adrian Martin's wikipedia page notes he recorded commentaries for these upcoming Arrow releases:
Hold Back the Dawn (Leisen – Arrow, 2019 forthcoming)
The Far Country (Mann – Arrow, 2019 forthcoming)
I searched the forum but didn't see these releases listed. Usually I'm the last to know, so forgive me if I missed their earlier announcements.
Excellent news for both, but I'm especially looking forward to more Mann-Stewart Westerns on Blu-ray. Thanks for posting this! :)

beamish14

#997 Post by beamish14 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:53 am

Big Ben wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:14 pm

The New Beverly Cinema screened a gorgeous print of the De Laurentiis Entertainment Group cut of Rampage. Hell, it might've been the first screening
of it in the States since it played at festivals in '87. I can't imagine that it's a music rights problem, and I don't know if Friedkin even has the capacity to suppress it,
a la Michael Mann and The Keep. It was marketed as a thriller/horror work, but it's really an incredibly sorrowful work.

beamish14

#998 Post by beamish14 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:54 am

Calvin wrote:

- An 80s teen movie will be announced in the next few months

Please let it be the neglected Hiding Out

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#999 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:15 am

Adrian Martin's Wiki page states that he recorded audio commentaries for Hold Back The Dawn and The Far Country, both showing as "upcoming" from Arrow.