ESPN 30 for 30

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

Re: ESPN 30 for 30

#201 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:58 am

I imagine that'll be the main narrative spine, but I've got to think it'll somehow encompass the whole history of Jordan's time in the NBA up to that point.

hearthesilence

#202 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:25 pm

I actually remember that run, at least from the first championship games on. It'll be interesting to see how they will (or will not) make this interesting for non-basketball fans, because outside of what happened to Jordan's father, there's not a lot of material that would seem to be compelling to anyone else.

flyonthewall2983

#203 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:10 pm

I imagine more of the drama will be centered around Dennis Rodman, who went into his full-on rock star mode during this time, becoming a media darling and doing things as daring as showing up on WCW TV wrestling on a night he was supposed to be at practice. It's been said that he treated his time at the Bulls as strictly professional and made no bones about not wanting to make any friends on the team (perhaps his heart still with the Pistons teams of the late 80's-early 90's where he began to shine as a player), so on top of everything else that'll make for some interesting drama that could pull in outsiders.

flyonthewall2983

#204 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Watched 42 to 1 and the Deion Sanders thing. The former was nice, but maybe too short as I would have liked to have seen more on the Vegas angle to it all which is where I thought it was going. The highlight for me was seeing the clips of Charley Steiner on SportsCenter going from joking that the fight would probably not last as long as his report on it, to saying the defeat might be the greatest upset in sports history.

The Sanders piece is kind of interesting in terms of the logistics and the bickering among him and the Braves for playing two sports in one day, but is mostly him showboating and ego-stroking. It's not the worst entry in this series, but it's certainly down there. Carl Lewis is still the biggest egomaniac in any of these films.

Polybius

#205 Post by Polybius » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:31 am

Jim Gray nearly shuddering with rage at the terrible slight Deion performed on The Great Tim McCarver might be the funniest thing I've witnessed in 2019.

That was not a good moment for American sports journalism. Scads of people like Costas and Lupica making up comically absurd rationales for why that was deemed to be so terrible (my favorite was that McCarver could have been electrocuted) rather than just admit the truth, which was that they hated Sanders and resented him going after their homey, McCarver.

flyonthewall2983

#206 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:25 am

Wasn't a good look for either of them. I actually rewatched You Don't Know Bo after because Bo Jackson comes off better, even in the clips of his press conferences during his time in both baseball and football where he seems aloof yet had a tiny bit of a much-earned arrogance because of his abilities.