The Films of 2018

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
knives

Re: The Films of 2018

#101 Post by knives » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Crazy Rich Asians
Cringe comedy isn't something I'm into so the reductions are basically for that. I'm sympathetic for the people complaining about this not really dealing with the local politics, but also this is basically a George Cukor film and I'm not sure how much people care about the depth of his social commentary. Nevertheless social commentary is a huge part of this romance and so for it to have such limitations should be noted and dissected. It being a greatly made romance does not cover it over. It is a great romance though capable of being hilarious and emotionally devastating in equal measure. In many respects this is the exact sort of film Hollywood should be making, and rewarding, daily. As an aside, as expected with Chu, the use of music is hilarious and the best satire of the film. It reminds me of the wedding of a friend's brother from the Philippines where they used Viva la Vida in a way that did not work.

colinr0380

#102 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 am

Regarding Crazy Rich Asians I am still getting over the fact that this was the first role for one of the main actors in this film, Henry Golding, who had previously been one of the longstanding presenters of the BBC's Travel Show!

andyli

#103 Post by andyli » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:56 am

colinr0380 wrote:Regarding Crazy Rich Asians I am still getting over the fact that this was the first role for one of the main actors in this film, Henry Golding, who had previously been one of the longstanding presenters of the BBC's Travel Show!
He also appeared in last year's A Simple Favor. Was it released afterwards?

knives

#104 Post by knives » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:52 pm

nitin wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:55 am
I saw Disobedience tonight and I largely concur with DarkImbecile’s take on it. The acting by the three main actors is terrific, the direction and writing is mainly strong and everytime the movie sort of goes off the rails towards the back end, it quickly manages to get back on interesting and sometimes even surprising footing.
Seeing this, this is catchup season for me, and I'll third the opinion. It's nice to see one of these Anglo-Haredi dramas come across as written by someone who knows that world. The script does very little simplifying and goes out of its way to have characters, especially the husband, who are complicated through adaptation as well as rebellion. This isn't some cheap, American, A Price Above Rubies, simplistic morality tale, but a much more intimate story of balancing priorities so that you can become your happiest self. The husband's penultimate act is one of the most delightfully shocking moments from last year.

knives

#105 Post by knives » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:34 pm

The Hate U Give (because announcing the full acronym would not be appropriate for kids)
All the kids where I work are hyped on the book and the movie is all they've been talking about this year so I felt a little obligated to see it and in the context of it being a children's movie it's great. Unlike a lot of other films with children protagonists which are completely uninterested in being interesting to children this one is. A lot of the criticism I see around misunderstands this. The critiques remind me of the famous BBC comment about Alan Clarke putting in too much incident as if drama wasn't the central aspect of drama. This film isn't supposed to be cool to a middle aged white guy, but to the diversity of teens. So with the question of corny or not out of the way I guess the question becomes is this good?

I suppose my students have good tastes because this is pretty complex. It's not really about the shooting which is a pretty blatant not good thing. Instead it's about how youth in all its varieties has to deal with this. My understanding is that the book is even more expansive on this with additional subplots and characters. It would be interesting to give more voice to the teen characters then we have (and Starr takes up the majority of that space), but given this is already over two hours and tackles issues of the shooting, racial interaction, the status of police, discovering the history of the nation (Emmett Till gets a cameo), and social pressures for survival. Possibly the most interesting in what it brings up and probably the thing that is most relevant to children is how all of these things have been changed by technology. Cell phones as the only mode of armor for black people obviously comes up, but social media is much more interesting because it is the mode the characters speak in. Tumblr provides some of the most compelling stuff since the two Starrs as she expresses herself have to be one. The film seems to say that while technology has been great in many ways it has also provided new difficulties.

The film is a kids film and is only so deep. It isn't the massive treatise that Spike Lee would put out and aesthetically it is only okay. Still, even with these limitations (which are mostly overridden by the acting) this is a vital and enjoyable film with more depth and intelligence than a lot of adult entertainment.