A Rainy Day in New York (Woody Allen, 20??)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
whaleallright

Re: A Rainy Day in New York (Woody Allen, 20??)

#76 Post by whaleallright » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Once Allen's career is back on track
I'd bet that, whatever the results of this lawsuit, Allen's career as a filmmaker is effectively over.

I wonder if Amazon made a calculation that the financial fallout from a lawsuit (which they know they will lose) was a lesser evil than the broader public outrage they thought might stem from releasing several films by Allen.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#77 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 am

It seemed like it was over when it was leaked that he couldn't find funding for the next one. Now, sure, maybe that was a false story, but the guy has near-constantly made films for decades - the fact that he isn't making one now speaks volumes about whether he'll find funding in the future.
domino harvey wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:34 pm
Can we not do this?
We're both moderators and you've posted here longer than I have, so this is by no means meant as a lecture, but no one stepped out of line in here and this is all perfectly relevant stuff to discuss in the context of the release of this film. I realize this is your biggest third rail but it doesn't mean people should have to zip their lip if they have a negative opinion on Allen or his work, as long as it's relevant/maturely stated

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:37 am

But when will Criterion be releasing Bottle Rocket??

aox

#79 Post by aox » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:37 am
But when will Criterion be releasing Bottle Rocket??
That seems to be this board's, "where are Hillary's emails, and when will she be locked up for her 68 murders of political opponents?", question.
Last edited by aox on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

connor

#80 Post by connor » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:54 am

Finch wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:59 pm
The only hatchet job on Allen's legacy is the man's own late career output.
I'll take 21st century Allen films over 1990s ones any day.

furbicide

#81 Post by furbicide » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:23 pm
Wondering aloud if it'll be possible for anyone to weigh in on this film without a reviewer's tilt in one direction or another once it finally emerges. It seems as though those who are firmly in Allen's camp will be inclined to inflate its quality, while those who have written Allen off will (probably without watching it) dismiss it as terrible. It seems like a very easy thing to inflate a minor/failed Allen film to a major one since there's always hallmarks of quality filmmaking, so why not, I suppose - but I can't think of a movie in recent memory with more baggage hanging on its eventual critical reception
No question that he has his fanboys and haters, but I don’t think most critics fall into either category, and I figure most will have no problem offering a clear assessment of this film if/when it sees the light of day (with a few obligatory passing references to its backstory).

Personally, I am generally a fan of Allen’s work and have sought out a lot of his films, but haven’t liked a lot of his recent work (aside from Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which I adored; I thought Midnight in Paris was dreadful, though) – to the extent that I haven’t even bothered to see anything post-Blue Jasmine. Not only is that not an uncommon opinion, I kind of get the sense it might be something like the prevailing critical opinion of his recent oeuvre.

Personally, I will be buying a ticket to Rainy Day out of principle, but I have no preconceived notions as to whether it’ll be any good – and I doubt many serious critics will feel any differently.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#82 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Interestingly, according to this recent Hollywood Reporter article, in June of last year Amazon allegedly already offered to give the rights to this film to Allen, presumably in return for nixing their deal