First Cow (Kelly Reichardt, 2020)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
JamesF

First Cow (Kelly Reichardt, 2020)

#1 Post by JamesF » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Surprised no-one posted this sooner - Reichardt is shooting her next film right now, back in Oregon and working with Jon Raymond source material again. Hooray!

senseabove

Re: Kelly Reichardt

#2 Post by senseabove » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 pm

JamesF wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:30 pm
Surprised no-one posted this sooner - Reichardt is shooting her next film right now, back in Oregon and working with Jon Raymond source material again. Hooray!
Hooray! I've been wondering what Reichardt's up to, since we'd heard nothing about the DeWitt project announced right after Certain Women.

senseabove

#3 Post by senseabove » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:39 pm

A few First Cow reviews out of Telluride, at a skim all ranging from positive to glowing. Seems it's already been picked up by A24.

David Rooney at The Hollywood Reporter: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/revie ... 19-1234367
Peter Debruge at Variety: https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/f ... 203319530/
Eric Kohn at IndieWire: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/first ... 202169928/

senseabove

#4 Post by senseabove » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:36 am

I was supposed to see First Cow the day lockdown took effect in California... so I'm very happy to see that it looks like A24 is finally giving up and First Cow is getting released digitally on July 10th. It's shown up in a few miscellaneous small theater showtimes if you search for them and has a release date and preorder option on Amazon Prime Video now. I'm hoping A24 is doing a release that will still let me support my local...

TheKieslowskiHaze

#5 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:37 pm
I like Kelly Reichardt, but man she took a few details from the Tarantino film and created her own film from it in a few sentences. No need to jumpstart that conversation again, but what a leap! (And, if going by my own reading of the film, completely missing the point on DiCaprio's sensitive and vulnerable anti-macho core seeking emotional validation, not to mention the implication of the viewer's interest in this empathic space too).
To be fair to Reichardt, Rick Dalton overcomes his vulnerability not through therapy or getting in touch with his feelings but by brutally murdering a woman with a flamethrower. I liked OUATIH quite a bit, but, Reichardt's right, it's got some serious problems.

That said, I came looking for a First Cow discussion. No thread on this yet? It's peak Reichardt and easily one of the best movie's I've seen in awhile.

senseabove

#6 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Take the T-word elsewhere. Now I need to cleanse my Reichardt safe space of macho bull with a peaceful heifer:

I've been meaning to rewatch First Cow because I loved parts of it, while I found it on the whole a little underwhelming. But that's been the case for every single one of her movies on first view, and everything I've seen more than once I think is a masterpiece. (NB: I've only seen Night Moves once...)

JakeB

#7 Post by JakeB » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:52 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but has First Cow been picked up for distribution in the UK yet? My googling is turning up nothing.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 pm

We don't have a First Cow thread either, unless the search function is just being stingy with me.

Anyway - that's a great film hamstrung by a prologue that doesn't really work in adding gravitas and a finale that drags on a little long once you see what Reichardt is doing. Yes, the ending has an element of surprise, but it does feel it takes a hair too long, just in a pacing sense, to get there. Still one of the year's very best despite those minor issues, which would be major issues in the hands of a less pitch perfect filmmaker.

LQ

#9 Post by LQ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:37 pm

We saw First Cow about a week ago and it's stuck with me in a big way. Although I don't disagree with mfunk entirely about the pacing near the end, I thoroughly enjoyed it on its face as an offbeat heist flick/intimate buddy study, but since then I've been reveling in everything under the surface. How beautifully it probes the difference between what is 'right' vs. what is 'lawful' in the eyes of the characters, and us watching. And as much as we're on the side of these two amiable outsiders, there's this clear undercurrent that their thievery is one of infinite "steals," minuscule to vast and ignominious, that make up American history, starting with the stealing of Native land.

The film grows in my estimation more every day, and I can't wait to watch it again.

Matt

Re: First Cow (Kelly Reichardt, 2020)

#10 Post by Matt » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:32 pm

Two sweet guys meet cute, move in together, and start a catering business.

This is probably my favorite Reichardt: a sweet and gentle movie that takes its time with its appealing characters. I had no problems with the pacing, and really admired how the opening scene slips so easily into the past yet also provides the real ending to the story.

I was prompted to watch this because I wanted to see more Lily Gladstone after having watched Killer of the Flower Moon, but I thought she’d be in more than one scene!

JamesF

#11 Post by JamesF » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:35 am

You definitely need to see Certain Women then! The film that inspired Scorsese to cast her

Matt

#12 Post by Matt » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:45 pm

It’s next on the list. Night Moves was last night’s selection. It and First Cow are on Amazon Prime Video, which we’re turning off soon.

I see Gladstone is attached to star in a biopic of Mildred Bailey, the early jazz singer and mentor to Bing Crosby.

zedz

#13 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:48 pm

JamesF wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:35 am
You definitely need to see Certain Women then! The film that inspired Scorsese to cast her
Yeah, she shares the film with Laura Dern and Michelle Williams at their best and walks away with it. (Kristen Stewart is great as well, but Gladstone is the driver of that particular strand.)

therewillbeblus

#14 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:10 pm

The long take of Gladstone driving away at the end of Certain Women in silence should be used in acting classes, if it isn't already, for communicating so much with respectful, honest restraint

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:04 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:45 pm
It’s next on the list.
I almost recommended Certain Women myself last night, but assumed that would have already been your first stop given Scorsese's endorsement. If you have to drive halfway across your state to see it, it'll be worth the effort

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:08 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:32 pm
This is probably my favorite Reichardt: a sweet and gentle movie that takes its time with its appealing characters.
It’s mine too of what I’ve seen. I greatly valued the respect for the audience with the film in its pacing and narrative capture. The anticapitalist elements are organic, effective, and not smothering at all, and I enjoyed yet another peek into how uncomfortable it would have been to live two centuries ago

Have to say I regret not knowing Malkmus had a cameo until after I saw it, though, because I def didn’t recognize him

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#17 Post by Drucker » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:30 am

This was the last film I saw in theater before COVID hit, with Reichardt doing a Q&A at MOMI. I found the film really excellent and the audience completely engaged, so I too have a high opinion of this film. Along with it being a nice peak into life two centuries ago, I just found it a nicely un-dramatized version of life then (as opposed to say a period piece during the Civil War), with the stakes low and the central relationship of the film so wonderful to be a part of.