Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
yoloswegmaster

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1076 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:45 pm

I wonder what some films could be licensed. Is there a list of StudioCanal titles that could be possibilities?

jedgeco

#1077 Post by jedgeco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm

I just bought the Bunuel and Melville boxes, so a Criterion/SC reunion wouldn't surprise me...

fdm

#1078 Post by fdm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:33 pm

They're been all over filmstruck. Would be nice to see some of those make it to disc, or at least get English-friendly(er) releases. (And I'm pretty sure I barely touched the surface of what all is/was available there.)

FrauBlucher

#1079 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 pm

This is indeed exciting. Unfortunately, as with an already full slate of titles from various studios and directors the SC rollout may be slow and painful. Anyway, if true, I could see Ran being numero uno.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1080 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm

fdm wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:33 pm
They're been all over filmstruck. Would be nice to see some of those make it to disc, or at least get English-friendly(er) releases. (And I'm pretty sure I barely touched the surface of what all is/was available there.)
StudioCanal's been releasing a ton of stuff in English-friendly Blu-ray releases in the UK

Ribs

#1081 Post by Ribs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 pm

I guess it *is* possible it's just for FilmStruck stuff, which would seem about right considering how many false flags we've seemingly gotten about the StudioCanal titles coming back into play. Curious what the approach would be: would be kind of fun to have The Third Man and feel a bit like a justice corrected to be one of the first UHD titles (I don't think this will happen, though considering it's likely for any NEW agreements being reached/signed titles won't appear for over a year it seems somewhat feasible)...

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#1082 Post by Brian C » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Possible that I’m forgetting something, but I don’t remember any “false flags” that seemed at all credible. At any rate, it would be weird for SC to post something specifically about Criterion if it was just Filmstruck stuff.

But, we shall see. All I know is, I am preparing to be OUTRAGED if Friday’s announcements don’t include reissues of every single OOP SC title.

Ribs

#1083 Post by Ribs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 pm

No, they were never credible, but they were false flags and whispers of certain titles coming back (some, like Playtime and Mulholland Drive, did, for a variety of reasons). Curious if this could just be for one title or set of titles rather than a whole new licensing agreement for the library and has been arranged by an estate or filmmaker (the obvious candidate being Tales of Hoffman, though I'm sure there's others).

FrauBlucher

#1084 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 pm

I'm not sure why SC would be strictly interested in FilmStruck and not what Criterion can do for them in terms of physical media. Clearly their deal with Lionsgate was poorly orchestrated and fruitless. I think it's a strong possibility that a new deal will be struck, if it hasn't already. The usually tight lipped Criterion has made no bones about wanting to get those titles back.

fdm

#1085 Post by fdm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm
StudioCanal's been releasing a ton of stuff in English-friendly Blu-ray releases in the UK
For sure, but there's quite a bit that hasn't been just yet, if what I've seen (or missed seeing) on filmstruck is any indication. Would be nice to see some of that get disc-ed, rather than just the same old stuff getting another reissue.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#1086 Post by Omensetter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 pm
I think it's a strong possibility that a new deal will be struck, if it hasn't already. The usually tight lipped Criterion has made no bones about wanting to get those titles back.
...and then you factor them bringing back in multiple OOP copies over the last year or so. They want their catalogue as in-print as possible, especially since it includes their first spine number, no less than Grand Illusion. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a main narrative of their 2019 slate.

Nice find, dwk. Or whoever found it.

Minkin

#1087 Post by Minkin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:30 am

Brian C wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Possible that I’m forgetting something, but I don’t remember any “false flags” that seemed at all credible. At any rate, it would be weird for SC to post something specifically about Criterion if it was just Filmstruck stuff.
It seems that Criterion enjoys teasing us with the possibility of Studio Canal films coming back....

There was that picture of someone working on the Grand Illusion cover - which turned out to be for the Criterion Designs book.
Then there was when some Studio Canal titles were teased / showed up on Filmstruck with Criterion branding / entire Criterion edition.

This appears to be a very big positive step if somebody from Studio Canal met with Criterion. I seriously doubt any party is happy with the current Lionsgate deal - as they haven't come out with any catalog titles since they shamelessly cashed in on Bowie's death.

But I'll believe it when I have the disc in hand. Since she already called Blood Simple + Mulholland Drive "Studio Canal titles" (despite being Janus owned in the US) - perhaps this could just end up being for more of these different territory rights films - but I'd love to be wrong.

There are 38 OOP mainline titles (44 total -includes 1 Eclipse + 4 EAH + 1 Rialto box film) from Criterion due to Studio Canal - which makes up 70% of their OOP mainline.

FrauBlucher

#1088 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:56 am

dwk wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 pm
Juliette Hochart from StudioCanal was at Criterion's office and posted this on instagram

juliette_hochart: The best of #studiocanalcatalogue at the cinephilie temple #criterion

margauxinlondon: Mulholland Drive! Of course ✨

juliette_hochart: ... and Blood Simple. And many more soon!
Not sure why folks may be skeptical. The "And many more soon!" pretty much tells me what's going to be.

(Muholland Drive and Blood Simple were the posters on the wall)

JSC

#1089 Post by JSC » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 am

I sincerely hope that La Strada and Nights of Cabiria will
reenter the collection in the not to distant future.

jwd5275

#1090 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:45 pm

I am very hopeful about this too, however since the post is only referring to titles like Mulholland Drive and Blood Simple which StudioCanal has rights to in France (the likely intended audience of the post) but not the US, the many more StudioCanal titles coming soon may have nothing to do with those 44 oop titles (or anything else StudioCanal has rights to in the US).

FrauBlucher

#1091 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Not sure if Criterion is that well known to her largely French audience. But once she hastags Criterion that instagram post takes on an international/American aspect. Plus, one of her followers mentioned Mulholland Drive first.

I don’t see how they are making a deal for films not yet in the collection but the oop are off limits.

Can anyone in the biz answer this. Can StudioCanal end their deal with Lionsgate (which felt like was renewed not too long ago) prematurely?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1092 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:16 pm

10 bucks says all they did was buy a whole lot more posters to put up on the walls

FrauBlucher

#1093 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Ah, dressing up for the guests. Nice approach.

KJones77

#1094 Post by KJones77 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Apparently Kino Lorber just agreed to license 130 titles from StudioCanal. According to them, two other labels made smaller deals as well.

No indication it's Criterion, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility...

FrauBlucher

#1095 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:11 pm

I can also see one of the other labels being the U.S. arm of Arrow/Academy

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1096 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Jesus, maybe one of them will finally release those 60s Deville films and non-French speakers can finally discover this overlooked key Nouvelle Vague filmmaker

Big Ben

#1097 Post by Big Ben » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Maybe they'll put out a new version of The Man Who Fell to Earth? The cash grab that Canal put out after Bowie's death somehow looked worse than the Criterion Blu-Ray despite, if I'm remembering correctly, a 4K scan of the negative.

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:59 pm
Jesus, maybe one of them will finally release those 60s Deville films and non-French speakers can finally discover this overlooked key Nouvelle Vague filmmaker
I would like this very much!

yoloswegmaster

#1098 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Hopefully this means that Criterion got the rights back for 'Ran'. It's a shame that StudioCanal haven't released the new 4K transfer of it in Region A since it looks so gorgeous.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1099 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Bizarre news from Kino Insider:
The North American rights for Une Femme est une femme and Diary of a Chambermaid are not with SC.

nitin

#1100 Post by nitin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Possibly because they have already reverted back to Criterion (KLI mentioned SC deals with two other labels, and that mainstream horror and foreign Arthouse would be coming from them, so presumably Shout and Criterion).