Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

#176 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:27 pm

In summation, even suggesting that you might give up watching Bergman led to an entire page of people trying to talk you out of it. Take that as probably the best evidence we can give you to keep trying to connect, dda

artfilmfan

#177 Post by artfilmfan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Before I discovered Ozu and Naruse, Bergman was my favorite director. I like the "cinematic" quality of many of his films. Some favorites are: Wild Strawberries, Smiles of a Summer Night, Scenes from a Marriage, Persona, and Summer with Monika.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#178 Post by barryconvex » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:26 pm

I forget my first Bergman but I agree that Summer With Monika is a great place to get one's feet wet. I would go to Smiles of a Summer Night and Wild Strawberries from there. I've never understood The Seventh Seal. I'm not really sure why but it's the probably the only capitol "C" classic film that i can't at least see something of what others see in it. It just does absolutely nothing for me but i wouldn't say it's bad. No one will ever top Scenes From A Marriage for a depiction of a traditional male/female relationship. The Silence and Winter Light would be the next two on my list.

dda1996a

#179 Post by dda1996a » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:20 am

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:27 pm
In summation, even suggesting that you might give up watching Bergman led to an entire page of people trying to talk you out of it. Take that as probably the best evidence we can give you to keep trying to connect, dda
It might have came off that that was what I was implying. I wasn't considering that especially as I've at least liked everything I've seen so far and love two. I was just trying to start a discussion and understand my issues with him, also because I'm considering getting this set. It's just that I expected so much of the last two I saw and was disappointed and since the last two years when my cinematic understanding has finally matured I barely need a starting point to get someone was why I came here. I'll give up on Antonioni before I do Bergman be assured

bunuelian

#180 Post by bunuelian » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm

There's so much to explore in Bergman. As time goes by I find more and more to appreciate in his work. For example, the consistent troupe he worked with lends his body of work an interesting dimension as you get into the depths of things.

I'm not normally keen on big sets, especially since my wife has all but decreed that adding films to my kevyip is akin to setting money on fire (she's not a film fan), but this set has too many upgrades for me to ignore. I'm especially looking forward to seeing The Passion of Anna and Shame in upgraded versions.

Perkins Cobb

#181 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:24 am

So it looks like This Can't Happen Here has been excluded not because Bergman disowned it, but because it's getting a theatrical re-release timed for the centennial.

mteller

#182 Post by mteller » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:05 pm

"a strangely alluring collision of noir, propaganda, satire, and slapstick"

Interesting... I always thought the satire and slapstick was purely unintentional. Is there any proof that it was meant to be funny? The scene where the gun keeps getting traded back and forth is hilarious.

RobertB

#183 Post by RobertB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:19 pm

I have not seen This Can't Happen Here, but it doesn't seem to have been an intentional comedy. In the book Bilder from 1990 he says it is one of the two films he is ashamed of or dislikes very much. The second one being Beröringen (The Touch). This Can't Happen Here had a plot too frivolously constructed, and Bergman wanted to do a more serious film about refugees from the Baltic states. During the first week of filming, Bergman asked the film to be cancelled, but it was too late. (All according to what he wrote in Bilder)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#184 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Give me a Waiting Women, which is me getting a drink somewhere else after the screening

Gregory

#185 Post by Gregory » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:05 pm

I would've thought the only time aquavit had ever been poured into pinot noir was by teenagers trying to raid the liquor cabinet as quickly as possible before the parents get home.

fiddlesticks

#186 Post by fiddlesticks » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm

I think I'll pass on the Serpent's Egg.

kekid

#187 Post by kekid » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:19 am

I apologize if this has been mentioned before. But I was quite surprised to notice that "Face to Face" is not included in this set. It has appeared on DVD in region A, with a tantalizing comment that a longer version exists. So I was looking forward to both versions (the theatrical version and the extended cut). Instead, it is completely excluded. Does anyone know why?

kcota17

#188 Post by kcota17 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:27 am

Paramount owns the rights and has licensed it out to Olive Films. I’m sure Criterion tried but was unable to obtain the rights. There’s no word of what Olive will do with the film yet but surely they’ll capitalize on this release and release it as part of their Signature Collection...

Orlac

#189 Post by Orlac » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:59 am

It'd be nice if they could re-scan or time The Magician. The contrast is badly screwed up on the current release.

ari101

#190 Post by ari101 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm

kekid wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:19 am
I apologize if this has been mentioned before. But I was quite surprised to notice that "Face to Face" is not included in this set. It has appeared on DVD in region A, with a tantalizing comment that a longer version exists. So I was looking forward to both versions (the theatrical version and the extended cut). Instead, it is completely excluded. Does anyone know why?
From Wikipedia.....

The film was conceived and produced as a four-part mini-series on Swedish television with a running time of 177 minutes. The episodes were entitled:

Uppbrottet (The Separation)
Gränsen (The Border)
Skymningslandet (The Twilight Land)
Återkomsten (The Return)

It was edited down for theatrical releases for running times from 114 to 135 minutes. However, the theatrical version premiered first. The film was later screened at the 1976 Cannes Film Festival held in May, but was not entered into the main competition. The television version aired in Sweden over four weeks in May and June of that year, and has not been released for home media.

EddieLarkin

#191 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:06 pm

DVDBeaver have started to go through the set and the first surprise is that Autumn Sonata uses a different transfer:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/ingmar_bergman_blu-ray.htm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#192 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Thank God most of the films in this set are black and white...

Cremildo

#193 Post by Cremildo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Interestingly, From the Lives of Marionettes is presented in widescreen.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#194 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:16 pm

I was just about to post that after perusing the other available reviews. This was made for TV, the 1.66 is highly suspect

colinr0380

#195 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Looking at the other DVDBeaver reviews, it is relieving to see that the disc on Winter Light has all of Vilgot Sjöman's Ingmar Bergman Makes A Movie series moved on it. That originally has its own disc (and spine number) in the DVD set, but it makes most sense to be tied in with Winter Light as it is directly following the making and release of that film.

EddieLarkin

#196 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:16 pm
I was just about to post that after perusing the other available reviews. This was made for TV, the 1.66 is highly suspect
According to Wikipedia it played in cinemas also, so I don't see it being more or less suspect than Fanny and Alexander being widescreen.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#197 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Fanny was a TV Miniseries that was also prepared in an altered form for theatrical release by the director, in part to justify the budget for producers. Marionettes eventually received theatrical distribution because Bergman was already a name that got butts in seats at art houses, but it wasn't conceived for the big screen like Fanny

charal

#198 Post by charal » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:15 pm

Beaver’s review does list the 1:1.33 MARIONETTES as open matte which, if correct, should imply that potential future widescreen screenings would be inevitable. The questions to ask are: (1) Has the film been shown theatrically? and (2) Does the blu ray image look badly cut? If it looks good, that is all that matters. You could argue for both presentations. As a recent example compare Murray Lerner’s recent blu rays of TASTE and JONI MITCHELL AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT. The main film is 16:9 with interviews, etc..but an extra feature on both discs is the bare bones concert footage in the shot ratio of 4:3. Both look acceptable even though the original film is to be preferred (it being documentry footage to begin with).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#199 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:30 pm

More reviews are up. Sounds like, with the exception of Autumn Sonata so far, existing discs are duplicated in full with only a different menu screen difference

EddieLarkin

#200 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:23 pm

The Magician and Smiles of a Summer Night were far more in need of a new transfer (and in the latter case, one definitely exists!) than Autumn Sonata, so it'll be disappointing if it's the only surprise.