Star Wars: Original/Prequel Trilogies & General Thread

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Big Ben

Re: Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

#501 Post by Big Ben » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Kirkinson wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 pm
Disney is bringing back the Clone Wars animated series for a 7th season (which was actually already in production when the show was canceled four years ago) on their upcoming streaming service. I wouldn't be surprised if this is at least partly an effort to assuage some of the angrier elements of the fandom, who generally seem to hold the series in high regard.
I've never seen the show but I know people who have and they really seemed to like it. A worthwhile dish to serve to people.

I'm quite interested in seeing where this whole streaming service thing goes now that Disney deal is going to go through with the Fox stuff. If they put considerable effort into it it might be be quite a thing (I imagine having older seasons of The Simpsons in the correct Aspect Ratio would delight even the coldest of hearts on this forum.).

Kirkinson

#502 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:22 pm

I've seen a highly curated selection of it and it wasn't bad. I think it's at least an improvement over the actual prequel films, particularly in its portrayal of Anakin, who seems far more like the character Obi-Wan reminisces about in A New Hope than the version we got to see in the movies. It also gets much weirder in the mystical side of the force than any other incarnation of Star Wars, which I like.

Big Ben

#503 Post by Big Ben » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Kirkinson wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:22 pm
I've seen a highly curated selection of it and it wasn't bad. I think it's at least an improvement over the actual prequel films, particularly in its portrayal of Anakin, who seems far more like the character Obi-Wan reminisces about in A New Hope than the version we got to see in the movies. It also gets much weirder in the mystical side of the force than any other incarnation of Star Wars, which I like.
From what I was told Padme in particular seems to have been redeemed somewhat insofar that she's far more competent. I wasn't aware it made Anakin less...well like he is in the live action films. Not sure if I'll watch it but I think it's good that these characters have at least been fleshed out more.

All the Best People

#504 Post by All the Best People » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Kirkinson wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:22 pm
Who/what provided the curation? I've tried checking out the series a few times, but the first few episodes skew so young that they are really a slog, and I never get into it. But I'm curious about some of the arcs people seem to love.

aox

#505 Post by aox » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:38 pm

Yeah, I would love to see an essential episodes list for the Clone Wars that omits the filler. I can't get into the series at all.

Kirkinson

#506 Post by Kirkinson » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:29 am

I basically looked at a few articles and videos that talked about the best episodes and used that to construct my own program based on what seemed interesting. I think I started with this one from Nerdist, though I skipped the theatrical film, which most other sources seemed to agree was not worth it. I know I used this one as well, though with more mixed results. And here's a longer recommendation list from Kotaku in chronological order (the actual timeline of the series jumps around a lot).

The storylines I liked the most, all of which are mentioned in that first Nerdist article, were the Mortis trilogy (S3E15-17), the Umbara Arc (S4E07-10), the final story arc concerning Anakin's apprentice, Ahsoka Tano (S5E17-20), a couple of clones almost uncovering their true purpose (S6E01-04), and Yoda learning weird things in weird places (S6E11-13).

The Mortis trilogy is probably the craziest thing in the series, and while I personally love how strange it gets, I would not blame anyone who thought it was the stupidest Star Wars content ever, so it's probably not what I would suggest watching first. Ahsoka's final plotline (until she appears again in the new season and on Rebels) is probably the series' emotional high point, and also a really good illustration of how the Jedi Order in this era is actually kind of terrible. (Incorporating the events of this story into Anakin's ultimate betrayal in Revenge of the Sith would have helped his character arc immensely.) The Yoda episodes also do some heavy lifting for the saga, in that they explain why there aren't hundreds of thousands of Jedi force ghosts popping up all over the place all the time, and also attempt to bridge the somewhat different personalities and philosophical views expressed by Yoda in the prequels vs. the original trilogy. They also bring back Liam Neeson and feature a cameo by Mark Hamill (not as Luke). And speaking of cameos, the Umbara Arc features a single episode directed by Walter Murch for some reason (his only directing credit aside from Return to Oz).

I also watched most of the Darth Maul stories, which seem to be fan favorites, but they didn't do much for me. That said, he appeared a lot on the show, and his episodes form a huge chunk of what people tend to say is the best of the series, so YMMV. I think the Kotaku list I linked to above includes all of them (and pointedly excludes the Mortis arc!). He's also all but certain to return in the new season based on what's already public knowledge of the storylines they had planned. Another fan favorite arc that I couldn't get into (and never finished) is the one where Kenobi goes undercover as a bounty hunter — possibly owing to my ongoing ambivalence regarding every bounty hunter character that has ever existed in this franchise.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#507 Post by jindianajonz » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:12 am

My favorite is Landing at Point Rain, which is straightforward battle episode that felt very at home among the most adrenaline fueled scenes in the feature films. But for the most part, this show always aims primarily at children, and the irritating habit of trying to provide a lesson at the end of a story lingers for a frustratingly long time, and surprises you in later seasons when you start to think they are beyond that. Thankfully the follow on series Rebels remedies this.

Some other good picks are any episodes that feature Hondo or Cad Bane.

jklugman

#508 Post by jklugman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:02 pm

I am partial to "Spy Senate" (season 2, episode 4) which is an extended homage to Hitchcock's Notorious, down to the final shot.

All the Best People

#509 Post by All the Best People » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 am

I actually at one point did get through the Clone Wars movie over the course of several sittings, and it was not good, and also continued Apocrypha II's heresy that Artoo can fly.

hanshotfirst1138

#510 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:25 am

All the Best People wrote:I actually at one point did get through the Clone Wars movie over the course of several sittings, and it was not good, and also continued Apocrypha II's heresy that Artoo can fly.
Doesn’t he kind of fly in Attack of the Clones?

Kirkinson

#511 Post by Kirkinson » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:10 pm

That’s what ATBP is referring to as “Apocrypha II”.

I think I read that at some point some book or something retconned his jets being removed.... R2-D2 really is the Star Wars universe’s biggest mess, given the people he interacted with in the prequel era who show no sign of recognition later on, and all the important information he should already know that he evidently chooses not to divulge to the other characters!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#512 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:10 am

Trailer for Star Wars Resistance, an animated prequel series with Oscar Isaac reprising his role as Poe Dameron

bearcuborg

#513 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:56 am

Rian Johnson confirmed that he his still working on his trilogy. Disney and Kennedy shocked me with this one, given all the projects that have been halted or delayed. Ewan has also stated that Obi Wan is not in the works yet...

What A Disgrace

#514 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 pm

In addition to being honored with a Thalberg next year and much to the chagrin of people who were certain she was getting the axe, Kathleen Kennedy's contractat Lucasfilm has been extended another three years.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, 2017)

#517 Post by soundchaser » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:11 pm

I’m not totally surprised — the production troubles and poor performance of Solo and the (debatable) underperformance of the Star Wars park at Disneyland probably means Disney’s scaling things back.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Star Wars: Original/Prequel Trilogies & General Thread

#518 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Days after giving an inexplicable panel on their much derided final season, the Game of Thrones show runners have stepped away from their planned trilogy, allegedly on their own but more likely that’s just evidence of a face-saving token from Kennedy. Good thing they sped through that final batch of episodes for this, great job guys

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#519 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Watched around half of The Phantom Menace yesterday just to have something in 4K from Disney Plus on our TV while I did other things in the room, so I'm not saying I've made some unimpeachable rediscovery of a misunderstood classic, but... I haven't seen it since 1999, when I literally have no recollection of my actual 12-year-old impressions before the cultural mass reaction took over for me, and... is this movie really so bad?

It looks absolutely stunning, any given frame of it is something of genuine creativity in makeup, set design (when has a film like this been so colorful since, except maybe that Thor sequel, from what I understand, and even that isn't quite what I mean by colorful), character design - and the dialogue and plotting isn't really as bad as I remember - in fact, I found it engaging at times. Even Jar Jar Binks, villain of everyone from the sorts of Star Wars fans who spend the rest of their time being racist, to other people who spend all of their time calling things racist, and everyone in-between, doesn't seem so bad to me, in fact, he's borderline appealing. Maybe I was just in a good mood, but I plan on watching this in full with my complete attention in the days to come, and I'm wondering aloud if perhaps with the hype and hero worship far in the rear view, perhaps it'll eventually be time for people to reconsider the role that Lucas' boundless and borderline risky capacity for throwing out what was working and creating something new is what made Star Wars land so thunderously in the first place. As a totally objective observer, I was impressed by what he did here.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#520 Post by cdnchris » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:27 pm

You were 12 in 1999?? Jesus fucking Christ I'm old.

And I also don't think Phantom Menace is that terrible now, but only because the follow-up is an absolute turd, only saved a wee bit by Christopher Lee showing up. My kids like it, though, so I'm looking at my legal options on how to disown them.

Orlac

#521 Post by Orlac » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:33 pm

I was 12 when Phantom Menace came out. I kind of liked it but have never seen it since.

Roger Ryan

#522 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 pm

Speaking of age, the biggest problem with The Phantom Menace is that Anakin is played by a ten-year-old when the part appears to be written for a character who is around sixteen. The whole "what does this button do? Wheee!" child-like aspect of the performance works against the more serious dramatic stakes Lucas envisioned for the prequels. It's been suggested that Lucas was persuaded (or decided for himself) that a younger Anakin would appeal more to children and, thus, sell more tie-in products/toys. I don't know how true that is, but the lackluster portrayal of Anakin throughout the prequels undercuts their effectiveness significantly.

Altair

#523 Post by Altair » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 pm

I think The Phantom Menance is only truly terrible if you have built your entire life around adoring the original trilogy, in which case nothing would have ever lived up to your expectations.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#524 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 pm
Speaking of age, the biggest problem with The Phantom Menace is that Anakin is played by a ten-year-old when the part appears to be written for a character who is around sixteen. The whole "what does this button do? Wheee!" child-like aspect of the performance works against the more serious dramatic stakes Lucas envisioned for the prequels. It's been suggested that Lucas was persuaded (or decided for himself) that a younger Anakin would appeal more to children and, thus, sell more tie-in products/toys. I don't know how true that is, but the lackluster portrayal of Anakin throughout the prequels undercuts their effectiveness significantly.
I'll buy this, but Hamill wasn't exactly Olivier in A New Hope either, age aside

Roger Ryan

#525 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:06 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 pm
Roger Ryan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 pm
I'll buy this, but Hamill wasn't exactly Olivier in A New Hope either, age aside
Certainly, but Hamill fit the bill for the lighter, swashbuckling style of Episodes 4 - 6, whereas the prequels aspired to more political intrigue and darker psychological conflicts that showed Hayden Christensen to be way out of his depth. If you could go back and recast Anakin with someone like Adam Driver, leaving everything else the same, I suspect the prequels would play a lot better.