Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
pzadvance

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#801 Post by pzadvance » Tue May 15, 2018 4:34 pm

swo17 wrote:Image Image Image Image Image
How on Earth did they mess that Tree of Life cover up

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#802 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:If you're going to do "big heads", that's the way to do it.
But enough about Terrence Malick!

KJones77

#803 Post by KJones77 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Everyone: "Man that Tree of Life cover will be gorgeous. Nobody could mess it up, it really lends itself to great artwork."

Criterion: "Hold my beer."

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#804 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue May 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Guys, come on: it's not like there was any stunning imagery directly from the film they could just toss on the cover, like with Graduation. They did the best they could to cobble something together, and we should be thankful.

Ribs

#805 Post by Ribs » Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm

I actually generally like it, but think the shot they've chosen for the kid in the bottom-right clearly does not match the other two whatsoever, and could probably easily be patched with something better.

Big Ben

#806 Post by Big Ben » Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:Guys, come on: it's not like there was any stunning imagery directly from the film they could just toss on the cover, like with Graduation. They did the best they could to cobble something together, and we should be thankful.
I mean what's even more hilarious is that there's now fifty more minutes to choose from.

kcota17

#807 Post by kcota17 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Why was a film about a family given a cover missing an additional brother and the father??

The Narrator Returns

#808 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 pm

My impression of the cover after first-glance managed to go even lower when I realized it was one of the other kids in the right-hand corner and not Pitt. Pitt being there would at least make this a visual representation of the film's dynamic (Jack pushed into a corner by the dueling forces of his parents), this is just nothing at all.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#809 Post by tenia » Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Big Ben wrote:
DarkImbecile wrote:Guys, come on: it's not like there was any stunning imagery directly from the film they could just toss on the cover, like with Graduation. They did the best they could to cobble something together, and we should be thankful.
I mean what's even more hilarious is that there's now fifty more minutes to choose from.
That's exactly my thought. Especially since I've litterally been using a ton of screenshots from the movie as wallpaper on my computer desktop for years now.
However, I'm also quite disappointed by the new extras which are quite light, seemingly. I'm eager about the new cut, but The New World also had quite a few new extras along with all the various cuts.

KJones77

#810 Post by KJones77 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:04 pm

tenia wrote:
Big Ben wrote:
That's exactly my thought. Especially since I've litterally been using a ton of screenshots from the movie as wallpaper on my computer desktop for years now.
However, I'm also quite disappointed by the new extras which are quite light, seemingly. I'm eager about the new cut, but The New World also had quite a few new extras along with all the various cuts.
It is a release that advertises "more!" though, so additional features should be on the way.

Luke M

#811 Post by Luke M » Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 pm

I don’t much care for the Tree of Life cover but the other ones are all fantastic.

Boosmahn

#812 Post by Boosmahn » Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 pm

I find something in all Criterion covers even if they're bad: Tom Jones, Election, and Sid and Nancy to name a few.

But Tree of Life... it's terrible.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#813 Post by swo17 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:18 pm

I like it--both cosmic and intimate.

FrauBlucher

#814 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue May 15, 2018 5:24 pm

I don't mind The Tree of Life cover. It may be one of those that looks even better in person.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#815 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm

I don't despise the cover image, but it is frustrating that they felt they had to patch something new together when doing a google search for Tree of Life yields hundreds of images that A) would have looked better entirely on their own and B) would be more thematically relevant to the film than what they came up with.

The kerning is just odd.

movielocke

#816 Post by movielocke » Tue May 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Are they trying to match tree of life’s color scheme to the new world?

It’s really bad kerning on the title, but why not go with the amazing baby foot artwork?

black&huge

#817 Post by black&huge » Tue May 15, 2018 5:44 pm

The Tree of Life cover is great

bearcuborg

#818 Post by bearcuborg » Tue May 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Not really into this thread, but they all look pretty strong-however-Tree of Life is the only I haven’t seen, so I can’t really judge.

ptatler

#819 Post by ptatler » Tue May 15, 2018 9:06 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:It may be one of those that looks even better in person.
Maybe it's lenticular and, if you tilt the cover, it turns into a family of dinosaurs.

Bumstead

#820 Post by Bumstead » Wed May 16, 2018 11:39 am

The backlash on social media has been loud and vigorous. Neil Kellerhouse's brand is getting a very public beating. If Criterion proceeds anyway, then they must really think this is a work of art!

Finch

#821 Post by Finch » Wed May 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Careful what you wish for. They could pull a Cries and Whispers and make it worse still.

StevenJ0001

#822 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:14 pm

I check into this thread every month just to peruse the range of reactions to each batch of covers, but the Tree of Life cover is so incomparably terrible that I am finally moved to voice my opinion. Ghastly! (Such an unflattering shot of Chastain, too--her nose may as well have been illuminated by a spotlight--and that's just one of so many sins committed here!)

movielocke

Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#823 Post by movielocke » Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:I check into this thread every month just to peruse the range of reactions to each batch of covers, but the Tree of Life cover is so incomparably terrible that I am finally moved to voice my opinion. Ghastly! (Such an unflattering shot of Chastain, too--her nose may as well have been illuminated by a spotlight--and that's just one of so many sins committed here!)
aha! They were going for the big nose selfie aesthetic with this cover! Clearly the cover indicates she’s taking an anachronistic selfie which indicates time travel which explains the films voyage through time! Who knew that the film was actually a critique of smart phones and how their overuse is collapsing the space time continuum resulting in Sean penn being caught in purgatory? Never would have figured it out without the tip off from the cover

Bumstead

#824 Post by Bumstead » Thu May 17, 2018 5:22 am

StevenJ0001 wrote:Ghastly! (Such an unflattering shot of Chastain, too--her nose may as well have been illuminated by a spotlight
My guess is Kellerhouse boosted the illumination on the nose to create three-dimensionality (separation of foreground from mid-ground). A common lighting technique, very poorly used in this case.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#825 Post by tenia » Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 am

Part of the issues I have with this cover is how over-crowded it feels, especially with the younger kid on the bottom right corner. He also adds a weird perspective in terms of eye direction : Chastain is looking down, one kid is looking to the left, the other one is looking up.
The whole compilation of this gives a very disjointed aspect to the the cover, adding a layer of a patchwork aspect.