It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:38 pm 

How are www.LovingTheClassics.com and http://www.robertsvideos.com ? Both have copies of Take Me to Town available, but the former's price is $14.99 (though curiously the VHS is $19.95), the latter's $24.95.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:57 pm 
Dot Com Dom

It's on iOffer for $9...

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:20 pm 

Wasn't familiar with that site, thanks.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm 

SHOCKMASTER wrote:
Yes. Sci-fi films (and novels) are my thing - especially by master filmmakers. I am trying to compile a list of GREAT sci-fi films to track down. If anybody has any suggestions or recommendations please contact me via private message.

I am now also looking for a bootleg copy or whatever of Konstantin Lopushansky's LETTERS FROM A DEAD MAN - it sounds incredible.

I just watched this last night and was blown away by it. Not sure if anyone's interested now (the post I'm quoting is from 12 years ago!), but I just found a version with English subs going here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LETTERS-DEAD ... 2f0aacc216

It's probably either a bootleg or a port of the Russian DVD release (same cover) with (hopefully decent) English subtitles added over the top – either way, it seems to be about the only thing going right now. Anyway, I've purchased a copy with some hesitance, and will report back!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:06 am 

Ugly Swans, Museum Visitor, and Letters from a Dead Man were all available on legit Russian PAL dvd years ago. My records -- I have a list with me, but I'm away from the physical discs for the next two weeks -- indicate that the Ugly Swans disc came with English subs, but that I (or parties even more unsavory) may have had to add them to the other two films.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:56 am 

What I'd give for a decent DVD with English subtitles of Visitor of a Museum! Second Run, et al, are you listening!?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 am 

Anthony Thorne wrote:
Francesco Rosi's ILLUSTRIOUS CORPSES has turned up at a couple of UK bootleg sites, with subs added to a picture taken from the now OOP Italian DVD (the latter 16x9 and with a 5.1 mix). Sadly the subs are of just okay quality, a shame as SBS TV in Australia screened a properly subtitled version years ago and the translation they provided was exemplary. I'm hoping Criterion get to this eventually.

A chap in Armenia(!) has promised to send me a copy of Rosi's THE MATTEI AFFAIR with subs. This is another I'd buy if it popped up properly.

I did get hold of a subbed, 16x9 copy of Umberto Lenzi's KRIMINAL recently. With more obscure Eurocult titles like this I expect fansubbed editions to be a last port of call, with legit Region 1 or 2 releases looking increasingly unlikely.

Don't know if you still are on these boards but this site has a subtitle copy of The Mattei Affair with English subtitles:

http://www.moviedetective.net/product_p/icm.htm

Actually, Movie Detective is loaded with hard to find foreign language films. The quality of about 90% is very good (all are DVD-R) and come in plastic slips, though some titles look like VHS masters. Whenever any titles gets proper release in the U.S. it is promptly removed from the site.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:33 pm 

Is my copy of The Treatment a bootleg? I just picked it up (sealed) from my local Half Price Books. The back of the disc looks a little odd; it's much darker than the other Blu-rays I have. Artsploitation Films is a boutique label, though, so their products could be made differently.

Front:

Back:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:23 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I believe many (all?) of Artsploitations early Blu-rays were MOD BD-Rs, which is what that is

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:08 am 

Their first two Blu-Ray’s (Der Samurai & Horsehead) were BD-R’s. They subsequently rereleased them as pressed discs due to complaints, though never did a recall. They continued with this for a while, though more recently appear to’ve reverted to using BD-R’s for some, if not all of their titles.
PLEASE NOTE: The Blu-ray release of THE TREATMENT is duplicated rather than replicated and limited to 500 copies. Due to customer demand we will be replicating future Blu-ray releases.
I’d get in touch, see if you can’t get a replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am 

Thanks. I figured it could be something like that, but it's nice to have confirmation.

Are BD-Rs of particularly bad quality? Or are they more susceptible to disc rot?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 am 
Dot Com Dom

BD-Rs are unstable. Releases that utilize them are literally not allowed to use the Blu-Ray logo on their packaging

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13