The Boondock Saints

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

The Boondock Saints

#1 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:58 am

THY KINGDOM COME. THY WILL BE DONE.

Boston, Massachusetts. Home of clam chowder, the Red Sox and Harvard. Home, too, to some of the roughest, toughest criminals ever to walk the streets. When the bungling McManus brothers, Conner (Sean Patrick Flanery, Saw 3D) and Murphy (Norman Reedus, The Walking Dead), inadvertently end up taking out a pair of Russian Mafiosi, they realise they’ve found their calling and embark on a mission to cleanse their city of criminals, inspired by the tactics of on-screen vigilantes like Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson. But their vigilante antics soon attract the attention of Paul Smecker (Willem Dafoe, To Live and Die in LA), an FBI agent with his own unique approach to fighting crime, setting the stage for an epic confrontation that will redefine the words “truth” and “justice”.

Released in early 2000 in the wake of the infamous Columbine High School massacre, writer/director Troy Duffy’s tale of ultra-violent vigilantism was all but buried during its brief theatrical run but went on to enjoy a second wind on home video and has since attained cult status. With its irreverent humour and unflinching portrayal of violence, The Boondock Saints offers its own distinctive take on the seedy world of organised crime.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the director’s cut of the film
  • Original 5.1 lossless English audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by writer/director Troy Duffy
  • Audio commentary by actor Billy Connolly
  • Outtakes
  • Deleted scenes
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Chris Malbon
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Kieran Fisher

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Forthcoming: The Boondock Saints

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:03 am

Ribs wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:58 am
Available on Amazon Prime to stream soon, a release is forthcoming.

Werewolf by Night

#3 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:14 am

I'm sure my brothers and male cousins would all be"stoked" about this if they cared about physical media.

aox

#4 Post by aox » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:18 am

From Criterion?

Ribs

#5 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:23 am

See the subforum.

Soothsayer

#6 Post by Soothsayer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:26 am

3 days early

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:28 am

lmao

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:48 am

Image Image

Banasa

#9 Post by Banasa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:59 am

Even the Facebook page who usually have some sort of devotees are mostly laughing at this one.

aox

#10 Post by aox » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Ribs wrote:See the subforum.
Ah, thanks. I grabbed the thread from the front landing page so I assumed Criterion.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#11 Post by cdnchris » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:25 pm

aox wrote:
Ribs wrote:See the subforum.
Ah, thanks. I grabbed the thread from the front landing page so I assumed Criterion.
I've fixed this so it hopefully won't cause confusion again (funny that the final push to fix the ambiguity was confusion that Criterion was releasing Boondock Saints [vomits in mouth]).

Big Ben

#12 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm

This movie was really popular with groups of people when I was in High School. That's precisely what I remember this movie being. A really shitty thing that a lot of people liked in High School.

Lost Highway

#13 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:47 pm

A release of this could almost be redeemed if it included the documentary Overnight.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:48 pm

I watched it for our 90s List Project. Spoiler Alert: It's actually worse than you think

Big Ben

#15 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:I watched it for our 90s List Project. Spoiler Alert: It's actually worse than you think
"Bro Cinema" is actually a really accurate description of what it is. One kid I knew in school that was obsessed with it even had the trench coat to match it. The movie seems to operate in this sort of weird place where it's somehow engaging enough for some people to become a cult film yet stupid and unaware enough for it to not be a "good" cult film in any sense. I hesitate to even call it trash because at least John Water's films know what they are.

Boosmahn

#16 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm

Exactly where does the line between self-conscious trash and actual garbage begin? Like Ben said, John Waters knows that such movies of his like Female Trouble or Pink Flamingos are meant to shock, disgust, and be generally bad, which is an example of a filmmaker who knows what he's making. Arrow is known for releasing Giallo horror, slashers, and other exploitation titles, so isn't this another "so-bad-it's-good" movie? Or, if I'm understanding correctly, this is a Tarantino-copycat that falls short of even schlock value?

Gregory

#17 Post by Gregory » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:21 pm

If you watch Overnight (highly recommended by the way), I think it's plain to see that Duffy thought he was the next hotshot auteur genius and deserved to be treated as such. He let every ounce of clout and power that came his way go to his head and demanded to be treated with the respect accorded a powerful genius, a legend, so I'd say he was definitely not knowingly making trash cinema but that he'd made "one of the best independent films ever made."

Lost Highway

#18 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Though Waters himself always referred to his films as trash, citing Hershell Gordon Lewis and Russ Meyer as influences, they were more in the tradition of Warhol‘s films. A bunch of friends hanging out, enacting a comment of trash cinema. They were anarchic and subversive, anticipating Punk, but I don’t think they ever really were trash at all.

Soothsayer

#19 Post by Soothsayer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Lost Highway wrote:A release of this could almost be redeemed if it included the documentary Overnight.
That would involve paying for it. Not sure redemption is the right term in this case.

Lost Highway

#20 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:56 pm

Soothsayer wrote:
Lost Highway wrote:A release of this could almost be redeemed if it included the documentary Overnight.
That would involve paying for it. Not sure redemption is the right term in this case.
True, but I remember few documentaries making me cringe as much as this one did, a true Hollywood cautionary tale. It gives some context as to whyThe Boondock Saints is as bad as it is, in a way the feature would serve as an extra to Overnight. For me it was the only reason to watch The Boondok Saints, though I didn’t actually make it to the end.
Last edited by Lost Highway on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Big Ben

#21 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:56 pm

Gregory wrote:If you watch Overnight (highly recommended by the way), I think it's plain to see that Duffy thought he was the next hotshot auteur genius and deserved to be treated as such. He let every ounce of clout and power that came his way go to his head and demanded to be treated with the respect accorded a powerful genius, a legend, so I'd say he was definitely not knowingly making trash cinema but that he'd made "one of the best independent films ever made."
This is spot on. Duffy completely lacks the self awareness of John Waters and that's the big key here. The Boondock Saints has all the hallmarks of a trash film but none of it is in any way self reflective and that's why it's bad in my opinion. Duffy acts like he's the second coming and he really just comes off as a totally aloof asshole.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:15 pm

I haven't seen Overnight but based on what I've heard I doubt Arrow ends up including it over involving Duffy in new extras. Can't imagine he'd sign off on including it and equally can't picture Arrow choosing it over an interview with Duffy. Maybe I'm wrong (and I'd never buy this regardless)

dda1996a

#23 Post by dda1996a » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:24 pm

I will definitely choose that film over a new interview with him, unless that interview is a post script to Overnight or something. Only seen Overnight but I doubt he will have anything interesting to say except maybe insult Branagh again

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Remember when Ray Carney got tricked into letting Duffy address his class?

EDIT: Apparently this is actually in Overnight! Curious to watch the whole train wreck now

Gregory

#25 Post by Gregory » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:47 pm

A few years back, here, I wrote a little about Overnight and the Carney classroom incident, and shortly after that post I stayed up until about three a.m. watching Overnight for the first time and reading about it. Not planned, but I couldn't stop watching it, and the next day I had Duffy echoing in my brain, leaving me wondering if I'd dreamed or imagined certain parts of it.

Domino, knowing that you're a fan of Jon Wurster characters, you definitely have to watch "the whole train wreck." Duffy is so close to Philly Boy Roy (both the hubris and some of Roy's more absurd cinematic visions) that people should call him Boston Boy Troy.