Duke Nukem (TBD, 20XX)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Big Ben
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Great Falls, Montana

Duke Nukem (TBD, 20XX)

#1 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:05 pm

John Cena in talks to star in Duke Nukem.

I don't know how many of you have played Duke Nukem but I cannot fathom how they'll make this in this day and age.

User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Posts: 3786
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#2 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:36 pm

I can't argue with the casting but it still sounds like a terrible, terrible idea.

User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Posts: 8613
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Not that long ago there were some rumors that Cena was going to star in the HBO reboot of Watchmen.

User avatar
MoonlitKnight
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#4 Post by MoonlitKnight » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:38 am

I generally can't see Cena as an actor in general. :|

User avatar
mfunk9786
Posts: 11719
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#5 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:40 am

What cultural currency does Duke Nukem have in 2018? Ridiculous.

User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Posts: 8613
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#6 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:31 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:I generally can't see Cena as an actor in general. :|
Then he's doing a good job

User avatar
Dead or Deader
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 12:47 am

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#7 Post by Dead or Deader » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:What cultural currency does Duke Nukem have in 2018? Ridiculous.
90's nostalgia cash-in. That's what people are all hoopla about in 2018, right?

User avatar
Murdoch
Posts: 3197
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#8 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:24 pm

I can only see Nukem working as satire. If it's played straight it's not going to go over well given that the Nukem character was just a conglomeration of 80s action hero tropes and didn't rise above those references.

User avatar
soundchaser
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:32 am

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#9 Post by soundchaser » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Murdoch wrote:I can only see Nukem working as satire. If it's played straight it's not going to go over well given that the Nukem character was just a conglomeration of 80s action hero tropes and didn't rise above those references.
I'd argue it's even less than a conglomeration - it's a distillation of all the worst elements. The infamous hive level in Duke Nukem Forever is more horrifyingly tone-deaf than anything else I can think of in a video game this side of Custer's Revenge. Played straight, it would get (rightfully) slaughtered by critics. Played as satire, who is its audience?

User avatar
Banasa
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:35 am

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#10 Post by Banasa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:33 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:What cultural currency does Duke Nukem have in 2018? Ridiculous.
In 20XX, all the cards will fall into Duke Nukem's place.

User avatar
Murdoch
Posts: 3197
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#11 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Murdoch wrote:I can only see Nukem working as satire. If it's played straight it's not going to go over well given that the Nukem character was just a conglomeration of 80s action hero tropes and didn't rise above those references.
I'd argue it's even less than a conglomeration - it's a distillation of all the worst elements. The infamous hive level in Duke Nukem Forever is more horrifyingly tone-deaf than anything else I can think of in a video game this side of Custer's Revenge. Played straight, it would get (rightfully) slaughtered by critics. Played as satire, who is its audience?
I don't know, but it can't be any smaller of a pool than the one craving a Duke Nukem movie in 2018.

User avatar
Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved
Posts: 5846
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Duke Nukem (TBD, 20XX)

#12 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:46 pm

Rather than playing it straight or as a satire, isn't it more likely they'll go the Deadpool route?

I played Duke Nukem 3D as a kid and was disappointed to discover on growing up that all of Duke's best lines were plagiarized from They Live and the Evil Dead films.


User avatar
Luke M
Posts: 1475
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: Duke Nukem (TBD, 20XX)

#14 Post by Luke M » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Goddammit I have to see this now

Post Reply