It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indicator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 am 

Final specs for The Border:

Last edited by MichaelB on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:47 am 

Final specs for Charley Varrick:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:50 am 

...and final specs for The Fortune.

Everything’s bang on schedule for the 22 January release date.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:24 pm 

I'm watching Experiment In Terror at the moment and I was wondering if anyone else noticed the high pitched metallic noise accompanying the entire soundtrack? Does my copy have some sort of audio glitch or is this just a part of the master? It exists on both the 5.1 and mono tracks and I've never had this error with any blu-ray.

None of the reviews make mention of it. Bizarre.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 am 

Indicator's March releases:

Quote:
GUMSHOE
(Stephen Frears, 1971)
Release date: 19 March 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (World Blu-ray premiere) - pre-order here

This brilliant feature debut from director Stephen Frears (My Beautiful Laundrette, Dangerous Liaisons, The Grifters) is an affectionate – and uniquely British – tribute to the Hollywood detective movies of the 1940s. Starring the great Albert Finney (Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Murder on the Orient Express, Skyfall) as a Liverpool bingo caller who dreams of being a private eye and then finds himself suddenly contacted for what appears to be an actual piece of detective work.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• New interview with director Stephen Frears (2018)
• New interview with screenwriter and actor Neville Smith (2018)
• New interview with Director of Photography Chris Menges (2018)
• The Burning (1967, 31 mins): Frears’ haunting debut short film
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Robert Murphy, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD037
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071168

Quote:
OTLEY
(Dick Clement, 1969)

Gerry Otley (Tom Courtenay – The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Billy Liar, 45 Years) is a charming scrounger who stumbles unwittingly into espionage, murder and double crossing as he is mistaken for a spy, kidnapped, and then becomes romantically embroiled with a sexy foreign agent, played by Romy Schneider (Purple Noon, Ludwig, Death Watch).
Adeptly balancing thrills and laughs, this Sixties comic spy thriller from writer-director Dick Clement (TV’s The Likely Lads, Porridge, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet) is a stellar addition to the British canon of post-Bond spy flicks.

• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with director Dick Clement
• The Guardian Lecture with Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais (2008): archival audio recording of an interview conducted by Dick Fiddy at London’s National Film Theatre
• New interview with actor Tom Courtenay (2018)
• New interview with actor Phyllida Law (2018)
• New interview with actor Freddie Jones (2018)
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Laura Mayne, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film

#PHILTD036
BBFC cert: PG
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071151

Quote:
THE PASSENGER
(Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975)
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere) - pre-order here

In one of the most acclaimed films of all time, Michelangelo Antonioni (Blow-up, Zabriskie Point) directed international star Jack Nicholson (The Last Detail, The Border, Wolf) and Maria Schneider (Last Tango in Paris) in an elliptical and fascinating thriller about alienation and lost identities. Now finally making its Blu-ray debut in the UK, this essential work from one of cinema’s most renowned and celebrated film artists is accompanied by an array of fascinating and insightful extra features.

• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with actor Jack Nicholson
• Audio commentary with screenwriter Mark Peploe and journalist Aurora Irvine
• New interview with actor Steven Berkoff (2018)
• New interview with actor Jenny Runacre (2018)
• Antonioni: 'Profession Reporter' (1975, 4 mins): the director discusses the film in an interview conducted at the 1975 Cannes Film Festival
• Michelangelo Antonioni – à propos du cinéma (1975, 5 mins): Antonioni discusses his philosophy of cinema
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Amy Simmons, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray

#PHILTD049
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071243

Quote:
TOWN ON TRIAL
(John Guillermin, 1957)

Investigating a murder in a small English town, a brusque Police Inspector (John Mills – Hobson's Choice, Ice Cold in Alex, Young Winston) discovers that virtually everyone he encounters has something to hide. Setting the template for British crime thrillers for decades to come (including recent TV hit Broadchurch), director John Guillermin’s audacious, often salacious, drama is untypical of mainstream British cinema of its time. An intelligent and gripping police-procedural thriller and macabre melodrama, Town on Trial is a rare treat which is ripe for rediscovery.

• Original mono audio
• The John Player Lecture with John Mills (1970): archival audio recording of an interview conducted by Margaret Hinxman at London’s National Film Theatre
• New interview with actor Elizabeth Seal (2018)
• An appreciation by film historian and journalist Barry Forshaw (2018)
• Adventure in the Hopfields (1954, 60 mins): starring Mandy Miller (The Snorkel), this Children's Film Foundation drama from director John Guillermin was once thought to be lost
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Neil Sinyard, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film

#PHILTD050
BBFC cert: TBC
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071250

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 am 

What an excellent slate! I suspect the Antonioni may get the lions-share of the attention this month, but those other titles are, for me, just as worthy. Gumshoe will be very high on my list of purchases in the coming-months, not only because it's a fine film, but because those extras are pretty ace in themselves. The Burning (Frears short film) is a really fine, tense piece of work. I only saw it recently (it pops-up occasionally here in the UK on Talking Pictures), but it's almost worth the price-tag alone.
I've never seen Town on Trial, but it sounds right up my alley (50's, British). The inclusion of the CFF film is a welcome surprise, especially since the BFI's periodic releases have seemingly come to a halt.

Keep up the good work Indicator!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 am 

Had heard rumours Frears' Gumshoe was on its way (curious to see it) but never thought they'd manage to bag Antonioni's The Passenger! Day one for me. The kind of title I assumed Criterion would grab (and Eureka are probably quietly seething too). Might even be their biggest debut to date?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 am 

I suppose it's a shame that Indicator couldn't or wouldn't replace or re-do the Nicholson and screenwriter commentaries on The Passenger? I've heard they're not very good at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 am 

The Passenger? That's pretty amazing. I've been waiting to see that on Blu for a long time and with extras to boot. I think Nicholson himself owns the rights though? MGM gave them to him in exchange for something if I'm remembering correctly. Or am I mistaken?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 am 

Costa wrote:
Anyone know from which film is this clue for next batch?

swo17 wrote:
I assume that film's title is a reference to like a nightclub or something in an old noir but I'm not finding anything on that front.

mistakaninja wrote:
The mob place in the '54 Dragnet film was called The Hot Spot, but that was colour too. I Wake Up Screaming was originally called Hot Spot, but it was a reference to the electric chair rather than anything specific in the picture.

Guessing this turned out to be Town on Trial. The synopsis on TCM reads,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
"Following a lead from a matchbook found in Molly's rooms, Halloran stakes out a local roadhouse..."

Haven't seen the picture, but that seems to fit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 pm 

I'm buying Gumshoe and Town on Trial for the extra films on the Blu-rays, and I might as well get Otley. The Passenger goes without saying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
...and final specs for The Fortune.

Everything’s bang on schedule for the 22 January release date.

I have the transcript of the Nichols and May talk somewhere - it's wonderful on paper and I'm sure even better to hear. Honestly, those two hadn't lost a step since their days a comedy duo. One of my favorite one-liners from Nichols comes after May compliments him on a hilariously strange metaphor involving a prostitute.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 pm 

We wanted to include one of their original routines, but the licensing fee was eye-watering. But in many ways this was more appropriate, as it’s entirely about working in the film industry, and it’s not by any means Ishtar-specific.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 pm 

I hear ya. I'm glad there's a recording of that talk, Nichols made a lot of post-screening appearances in NYC, and I wasn't sure how many of them were ever recorded. (I've seen May introduce a screening of Mikey and Nicky at MoMA, so she does make the occasional appearance as well.)

Their original albums are classics - for anyone who's curious, I don't think their own records are hard-to-find in great condition on used vinyl. I picked one up for peanuts not too long ago. And of course there's always YouTube...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm 

... so does this mean we shouldn’t be expecting Indicator to put out Ishtar?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 pm 

Ribs wrote:
... so does this mean we shouldn’t be expecting Indicator to put out Ishtar?

I'd love to see Mikey and Nicky instead (Anyone know it's status?) but in this day and age Ishtar would be an interesting relic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:52 pm 

THE PASSENGER

There's listed a third commentary: Audio commentary with film historian Adrian Martin.
Also it's now Limited Edition of 5,000 copies, instead of 3,000 earlier. So someone other than I, have also pre-ordered this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:36 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I was already getting it, but hooray for Indicator enlisting the new King of Commentaries!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:03 am 

Auto cleanup is bad for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 pm 

Pepsi wrote:
So someone other than I, have also pre-ordered this.
That was me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:33 pm 

CineOutsider on Charley Varrick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 pm 

Got this on a good Koch Media Blu-ray last year and was knocked out by how good it was - truly one of Siegel's best. How is the Indicator version compared to the Koch - haven't found any reviews that compare the two. I ended up triple dipping, on a whim, the Indicator Big Heat and Lady from Shanghai; and found the Indicators unexpectedly yielding so much more visually than the first Twilight Big Heat (which was good) and the Mill Creek and corrected TCM Lady from Shanghai's that Indicator has become for me a label on which to keep close watch. In short - any comments from anywhere concerning the Indicator vs the Koch Charlie Varrick?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:28 pm 

isakorg2 wrote:
In short - any comments from anywhere concerning the Indicator vs the Koch Charlie Varrick?

Here's Caps-a-holic.

Post subject: Indicator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm 

Final specs for Ship of Fools:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Despite the line-up suggesting otherwise, the commentary was commissioned by and is exclusive to Indicator. (Mill Creek has the US rights, so a Twilight Time commentary isn’t going to be happening any time soon.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:07 am 

Final specs for Hammer Volume Two: Criminal Intent and it's...wow!

The Snorkel

Never Take Sweets from a Stranger

The Full Treatment

Cash on Demand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next