It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:38 am 

Unlike Howard's End, the Rivette films aren't Cohen restorations so I'd be surprised if they released them in the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:54 pm 

Ribs wrote:
Cohen will be releasing Howards End themselves in the UK. Totally within their power but I've felt their partnerships with the UK labels have been very fruitful at producing the best versions of their titles and hope this doesn't mean that they'll be doing the same for the Rivette titles or even other Merchant Ivory restorations.

Reckon they might just do Merchant Ivory, since they still have at least one active deal with a UK label (Eureka have The Old Dark House and King of Hearts coming up in the New Year). I imagine Arrow will have one or two more Cohen-sourced titles too. I'd be surprised if Cohen just tried to release whatever they could over here, Criterion UK-style.

Seems the BFI failed to secure Howards End; I could've sworn they had confirmed a Dual Format release in a press release somewhere. Maybe they requested to port over all the Cohen extras, and Cohen responded by deciding to just port over the entire release? Either that or Sony weighed in and weren't willing to work with the BFI. Who knows...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:23 pm 

Just got The Old Dark House. The restoration looks fantastic, but there's one strange thing with the audio - at 57:20, some loud hiss kicks in on the soundtrack. Eventually it goes away, but it's strange - I'm not sure if it was noise introduced into the soundtrack or if it's inherent in the soundtrack and they actually just processed everything else with heavy noise reduction. (The latter is very possible because it does sound like it was cleaned up quite a bit.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:00 pm 

A 4K resto of La Belle Noiseuse is coming.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 pm 

John Doe wrote:
A 4K resto of La Belle Noiseuse is coming.

fantastic! I had bought the Japanese Blu-Ray 3 years ago or perhaps more than that it was just upscaling...

I hope that this will be added quickly to the Cohen Blu-Ray coming soon...

By the way, but this is a trailer : the ratio doesn't look to be 1:33...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:07 am 

Quote:
the ratio doesn't look to be 1:33

OAR is 1:1:37 (1:1.33 is a TV ratio). The image is made to fit multiplex theaters widescreen projectors (35 mm / they didn't have academic ratio objects), so that it can be projected in widescreen (1:1.66) without loosing too much information in the picture, but the intended ratio is 1:1.37.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:38 pm 

Pepsi wrote:
OAR is 1:1:37 (1:1.33 is a TV ratio). The image is made to fit multiplex theaters widescreen projectors (35 mm / they didn't have academic ratio objects), so that it can be projected in widescreen (1:1.66) without loosing too much information in the picture, but the intended ratio is 1:1.37.

It was definitely 1.37:1 when I saw it in a large London cinema on its original release. By then, Academy was such an unusual ratio to encounter with brand new releases in West End first-run cinemas that I tend to remember such things - and since the distributor owned the cinema in question, I suspect they got the ratio right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:34 pm 

my mistake : I was thinking 1:37 whereas the ratio of the trailer looks wider (like 1:66 or something like that)- but it's just a trailer by Cohen.
The Japanese blu-ray (X4 restoration) is 1:37 ratio...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 am 

La Belle Noiseuse
If a UK company (Artificial Eye has it on DVD) will release this on Blu-Ray, please announce it before (and not afterwards) the Cohen release date. Then you get my money instead of Cohen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:35 am 

Pepsi wrote:
La Belle Noiseuse
If a UK company (Artificial Eye has it on DVD) will release this on Blu-Ray, please announce it before (and not afterwards) the Cohen release date. Then you get my money instead of Cohen.

UK Distributor “Well shit, we gotta get that Pepsi money!” *runs to PR department, tie flying behind him, hastily-drafted press release in hand.*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 am 

If Cohen puts out a worthy release (and one lives in the US) why would one shun it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:57 am 

Cohen is a good label, but I think there's an expectation that if they're not just porting their release over and it's being licensed by Arrow or the BFI or MoC (all of which have varying degrees of stakes in the Rivette game) they'd maybe do a marginally better encoding job and make new features.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 pm 

The Two of Us 4K remaster coming to theaters later this month with a blu-ray coming next year

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21