Cohen Film Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Zaki

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#476 Post by Zaki » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Sudden Fear is currently sold for $9.99 on amazon.com; Howard's End for $13.49. For Cohen BR's these are pretty good prices.

rohmerin

#477 Post by rohmerin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:46 pm

What a wonderful film The official story is!!! I've just watched an old print. In France has been restored and released but only on DVD + book with: Entretien avec le réalisateur Luis Puenzo

- Entretien en 4 parties avec le réalisateur (40 min) : « Un scénario sous haute tension », « Filmer l’histoire », « Les comédiens », « Négation et révélations » - Module sur la restauration + 1 livre de témoignages sur l’histoire du film

When is out in the States?

and behind a VERY strange name is this beauty that looks German Chunchuna Villafañe

FrauBlucher

#478 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:00 pm

jazzo

#479 Post by jazzo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:18 am

Just a quick question that, perhaps, someone here has an answer to.

I really wanted to pick up Arrow's new blu-ray of City of the Dead. I have a multi-region player, and this clearly is the best version of the film available.

But.

I would prefer to purchase a Region A version, if possible. Now I know VCI has their blur-ray, but it has been ripped by most as being inferior, even, to their own earlier DVD of the film (which I own, and am quite satisfied with for now).

Since Cohen shared the restoration with Arrow, does any think a Region A disc from them is possible? They are quite behind on their releases. Still no sign of THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE, and that's months and months late, so I'm not hopeful.

Jameson281

#480 Post by Jameson281 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm

jazzo wrote:Just a quick question that, perhaps, someone here has an answer to.

I really wanted to pick up Arrow's new blu-ray of City of the Dead. I have a multi-region player, and this clearly is the best version of the film available.

But.

I would prefer to purchase a Region A version, if possible. Now I know VCI has their blur-ray, but it has been ripped by most as being inferior, even, to their own earlier DVD of the film (which I own, and am quite satisfied with for now).

Since Cohen shared the restoration with Arrow, does any think a Region A disc from them is possible? They are quite behind on their releases. Still no sign of THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE, and that's months and months late, so I'm not hopeful.
Cohen has said on Facebook that both titles will be released in the U.S. at some point, but offered no idea of what sort of timeline we're looking at. They were especially vague about CITY OF THE DEAD; I think in that case they said it would come out here "eventually." So I share your frustration.

Ribs

#481 Post by Ribs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:20 am

BR.com's forums say Cohen confirmed that a UK label will be doing versions of Howard's End that fix some of the problems on that release - question becomes whether or not it's Arrow or MoC, right?

(If there were more than just the two ready restorations - Howard's End and Maurice - I'd totally bet on it being Arrow as an Academy box, but I could kind of just as easily imagine it just being two attached MoC releases)

cana7cl

#482 Post by cana7cl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:17 am

rohmerin wrote:What a wonderful film The official story is!!! I've just watched an old print. In France has been restored and released but only on DVD + book with: Entretien avec le réalisateur Luis Puenzo

- Entretien en 4 parties avec le réalisateur (40 min) : « Un scénario sous haute tension », « Filmer l’histoire », « Les comédiens », « Négation et révélations » - Module sur la restauration + 1 livre de témoignages sur l’histoire du film

When is out in the States?

and behind a VERY strange name is this beauty that looks German Chunchuna Villafañe

I understand "Chunchuna" is a nickname. Her real name is Elba.

FrauBlucher

#483 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat May 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Zaki

#484 Post by Zaki » Sun May 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Can anyone name the two Keaton films to which Cohen does not own rights?

kcota17

#485 Post by kcota17 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:42 pm

The Cameraman and Spite Marriage?

Roscoe

#486 Post by Roscoe » Sun May 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Couldn't Cohen just do a proper release of the Brownlow documentary on Keaton, A HARD ACT TO FOLLOW?

MichaelB

#487 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 22, 2017 9:41 am

Roscoe wrote:Couldn't Cohen just do a proper release of the Brownlow documentary on Keaton, A HARD ACT TO FOLLOW?
Does that even exist in HD form? As a mid-80s British TV documentary, the master may well be SD PAL.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#488 Post by tenia » Mon May 22, 2017 9:47 am

Ribs wrote:BR.com's forums say Cohen confirmed that a UK label will be doing versions of Howard's End that fix some of the problems on that release - question becomes whether or not it's Arrow or MoC, right?
It will be the BFI.
And it seems the Cohen replacement discs with the proper AR suffers from an incorrect color range encode...

Roger Ryan

#489 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon May 22, 2017 12:12 pm

kcota17 wrote:The Cameraman and Spite Marriage?
Right, I believe the article should have specified that Cohen owns all but two of Keaton's silent films which would be the ones quoted above. These two were produced through MGM and are now owned by Turner/Warner Brothers (although a licensing to Criterion seems likely). I don't know if Cohen has acquired any of Keaton's sound films, most of which were produced through MGM, Columbia, and the poverty-row Educational Pictures, with the occasional outlier like the French-produced Le Roi des Champs-Élysées, but I doubt it. That said, the company could certainly license clips from the later work to flesh out the documentary.

Costa

#490 Post by Costa » Mon May 22, 2017 5:41 pm

tenia wrote:
Ribs wrote:BR.com's forums say Cohen confirmed that a UK label will be doing versions of Howard's End that fix some of the problems on that release - question becomes whether or not it's Arrow or MoC, right?
It will be the BFI.
And it seems the Cohen replacement discs with the proper AR suffers from an incorrect color range encode...

what do you mean exactly?
By the way, looking at the initial screenshots I wasn't very happy with the general encoding either.
I hope BFI does it better.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#491 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Maurice coming in September

Costa

#492 Post by Costa » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:Maurice coming in September
2 things for me:
1) hope it includes deleted scenes (although i fear it won't since Criterion released them)
2) i assume they will be careful about the AR, so I hope it has a better encoding than Howards End which wasn't anywhere near the high standards of other blurays

Werewolf by Night

#493 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:50 pm

Specs for Maurice have been announced:
  • NEW 4K restoration of the film
    NEW on-stage Q&A session with James Ivory and cinematographer Piere Lhomme
    NEW conversation between James Ivory and director Tom McCarthy
    James Ivory and cinematographer Piere Lhomme on the making of Maurice
    The Story of Maurice (this is the same documentary from the Criterion/HVE DVD)
    Conversation with the Filmmakers (also from the Criterion/HVE DVD)
    Deleted scenes and alternate takes with commentary by director James Ivory (also from the Criterion/HVE DVD)
    Original theatrical trailer
    New restoration trailer
    Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature
I recently revisited Maurice and the other Merchant-Ivory adaptations of Forster novels. In the documentary on the Criterion/HVE DVD of Maurice, Rupert Graves talks about being embarrassed by his performance in A Room with a View and promising James Ivory that he would give a much better performance as Alec Scudder in Maurice. The irony of that is that he is perfectly fine in Room, his first film role—completely believable as Lucy's happy-go-lucky younger brother—whereas he nearly ruins Maurice with a broad, almost burlesque characterization totally at odds with James Wilby's far more subtle performance.

HitchcockLang

#494 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:33 pm

So I have been sitting on my hands for a while. I always knew I would get around to buying Cohen's Jamaica Inn and Thief of Bagdad but neither was a high priority for me, but now it looks as if both are out of print and going for insane prices on Amazon and eBay. What happened there? Was there a rights issue? Is Cohen going to rerelease these titles or should I try to snap them up if I see an opportunity?

DeprongMori

#495 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Looks like Cohen will be releasing the new restoration of James Whale's The Old Dark House, based on their Facebook post today.

The Old Dark House

Finch

#496 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:40 pm

^ Excellent news!

FrauBlucher

#497 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Costa

#498 Post by Costa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:54 pm

I just got back from holidays and saw some screenshots at bluray.com for Maurice - one of my most anticipated releases ever!

I understand these are jpegs, but they remind me the bad encoding days of Criterion!
look at the sky: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screensho ... position=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or the coat on the left: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screensho ... position=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

personally, I'll wait for a European bluray in case it's better.

Ribs

#499 Post by Ribs » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Cohen will be releasing Howards End themselves in the UK. Totally within their power but I've felt their partnerships with the UK labels have been very fruitful at producing the best versions of their titles and hope this doesn't mean that they'll be doing the same for the Rivette titles or even other Merchant Ivory restorations.

Costa

#500 Post by Costa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:59 am

Ribs wrote:Cohen will be releasing Howards End themselves in the UK. Totally within their power but I've felt their partnerships with the UK labels have been very fruitful at producing the best versions of their titles and hope this doesn't mean that they'll be doing the same for the Rivette titles or even other Merchant Ivory restorations.
I saw it and was disappointed.
I didn't know Cohen can release in UK too like Criterion.
I was hoping someone else picks this up, because I really don't like their encoding.
Let alone the issues with Howards end (wrong gamma in the fixed disc).