New York City Repertory Cinema

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: New York City Repertory Cinema

#276 Post by Drucker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:49 am

They were advertised as imports. Never got to make it out, unfortunately.

Black Hat

#277 Post by Black Hat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:21 pm

Druck I don't know if it was you or someone else who made mention of the bizarre starting showtimes at Metrograph but that is so true... not sure what they're thinking with that especially since it's such a pain in the ass to get to for most people.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#278 Post by Drucker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:39 pm

Yep that was me. I would say there's at least a 50% chance that when they announce a film is screening I won't be able to make it because of time of day (again: often 4:30/9:30 on a weekday!)

I get the sense that cinemas purposely program the most popular films on the days/times with lowest turnout (every year Lincoln Center has amazing films playing Christmas Eve/New Year's Day), to try to compensate for low turnout those times would offer. I get it, but as an NJ commuter, it means I miss some good stuff. Film Forum generally has at least has a more traditional showtime of like 3/5/7/9pm.

That Tanner retrospective at Metrograph only showed one film at seven pm on a weekday. I don't get it.

Black Hat

#279 Post by Black Hat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Agreed, at the same time we're so bloody spoiled... these are totally rich people problems.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#280 Post by Drucker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Absolutely.

FrauBlucher

#281 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:29 pm

I've been frustrated by their showtimes. That's why I haven't been there yet.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#282 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:26 pm

hearthesilence wrote:BAM is holding a retrospective next month and Paul Thomas Anderson will be there to introduce three films (Demme's three best narrative films, IMHO), and to do a Q&A for Married to the Mob with Paul Lazar.
Updates on this: The Sunday afternoon screening of Citizen's Band will now have an introduction from Paul Thomas Anderson and producer/SXSW founder Louis Black (who is completing a book on Demme). Black will also be on the A-end of a Q&A with Anderson after Something Wild, as well as a conducting a Q&A with Fab Five Freddy after Monday's screening of The Manchurian Candidate. Apparently tickets are running low if their Twitter account's to be believed.

okcmaxk

#283 Post by okcmaxk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:11 pm

If anyone is going to the showing of After Hours at Metrograph Friday night, let us know if there's any talk about a Blu-ray release as there's going to be a Q&A with Griffin Dunne and Amy Robinson after the film. Thanks!

Black Hat

#284 Post by Black Hat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:45 pm

I was just scoping out some of the Demme movies, always was a fan, and BAM's now 20 bucks for a ticket???

hearthesilence

#285 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Well looks like I won't be able to make it to the Paul Thomas Anderson screening of "Married to the Mob." Before I list it elsewhere, anyone want it for $20? That's without the ticket processing fee and just the seat price, so it couldn't be more fair. Again it's tomorrow night at 6:45pm and in 35mm.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#286 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:16 am

What an absolutely magnificent weekend (concluding with Citizen’s Band tomorrow). BAM did an incredible job curating prints (Something Wild and Married to the Mob were from Tarantino’s collection) and the discussions after the films were just wonderful, enlightening, and so imbued with love and loss of a dear friend of all the participants. I can’t help but see Demme and his work in a much richer light, and considering that was the goal, it was a wild success.

Oh, and meeting Paul Thomas Anderson was cool, although, of course it would be

hearthesilence

#287 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:19 pm

A new 70mm print (or prints) of Lawrence of Arabia is screening at MoMI and set to tour the U.S. and the U.K. for the remainder of the year. It comes courtesy of Park Circus who also distributed the 4k DCP restoration back in 2012 - indeed, the released trailer for the new 70mm print is nearly identical to the one cut for the DCP restoration, the only change being a title that now says "70mm Presentation" rather than "New 4k Restoration"

With that in mind, does anyone know if this 70mm print is the 4k restoration printed to film?

I've seen the film projected a number of times - twice in 70mm, once in an archival 35mm print of the "original" (shorter) theatrical cut, an excellent 35mm print of the restored cut, and the 4k restoration I've already mentioned. It's tempting, but if it's really the 4k restoration printed to film, I don't want to shift my plans around and head out to Queens for a five-hour excursion.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#288 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:29 pm

That's what I assume it is. The 70mm print that played a few years ago was from an earlier Harris restoration and was a bit faded towards yellow. There was no advertisement as new 70mm print at that time.

hearthesilence

#289 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:54 pm

The more I think about, the more I have to agree - what else could it be? After all the time and work spent on the restoration, and given the state of the best film elements available, those digital files must be considered the best printing elements anyone could access now from a practical standpoint.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#290 Post by Drucker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Sam Fuller retrospective of his war movies coming to MOMI.

The Big Red One re-construction will be playing in 35mm. Actually seems like everything here is.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#291 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:19 am

Not sure where this belongs, but saw Rio Bravo in 35 at Lincoln Center last night. I have to say the colors really closely match with the existing blu-ray, but this print was faded and messy, and definitely seemed to unnaturally lean yellow and red. That said, it was a great experience, and was one of theatrical experiences I've ever had. Even messy and beat-up, this print is worth seeing.

hearthesilence

#292 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:02 am

Oh man, I've never seen it projected, and it's one of my favorites. Bummer that the print's beat up though, otherwise I'd definitely go.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#293 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am

hearthesilence wrote:Oh man, I've never seen it projected, and it's one of my favorites. Bummer that the print's beat up though, otherwise I'd definitely go.
Some scenes were very clean, but there are definitely a noticeable amount of faded scenes.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#294 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Kelly Reichardt retrospective at MOMA in September. All but the last two films in 35mm.

hearthesilence

#295 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:37 pm

It looks like MoMA will be screening ALL of John Cassavetes's films, but showtimes will all fall on the weekdays at 1:30 p.m.

Black Hat

#296 Post by Black Hat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:21 am

Little known fact, back in the 70s lunch time was always Cassavettes target demo.

Druck I saw Rio Bravo today and noticed the same, kind of a silly movie but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

J Adams

#299 Post by J Adams » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:22 am

I don't really care what Film Forum does, and I'd rather they just fold up and die. To sit amongst ancient losers who are there because they have nothing better to do will not be helped by revised seating. I'm a tall, so don't care. Once they largely abandoned 35mm, this became the worst repertory theatre in NYC. Their innumerable DCP RESTORATIONS!!!!! are just irrelevant, as they generally coincide with blu-ray restorations.

dda1996a

#300 Post by dda1996a » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:16 am

No clue what you're talking about. They had a great summer double bill program with many 35mm prints, they're showing a lot of Wiseman on 35mm. I caught their Godard double bill which was great