Yugoslavian films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
L.A.

Re: Yugoslavian films on DVD

#26 Post by L.A. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Vito

#27 Post by Vito » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:49 am

http://www.film-center.si/sl/novice/744 ... a-blurayu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently it went officially on sale yesterday, other two releases planned for this year are Sedmina and To so Gadi.

Big Bang will be selling it for 15 euros, a cinema called Kinodvor and a bookstore Konzorcij (part of the Mladinska Knjiga chain of stores). Out of all of these, Kinodvor might end up being the most flexible when it comes to international orders.

L.A.

#28 Post by L.A. » Mon May 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Vito wrote:Out of all of these, Kinodvor might end up being the most flexible when it comes to international orders.
Indeed, this is where I got my copy of Dolina miru. Thanks for the tip.

Main feature subtitled in: English, French, Croatian and Slovenian.

Extras: photos from the film, 2016 presentations and reports in Cannes (in Slovenian), trailer (in Slovenian) and about the restoration process ("Erased Scenes" and "Documents of Time").

dobrien

#29 Post by dobrien » Wed May 24, 2017 4:18 am

L.A. wrote:
Vito wrote:Out of all of these, Kinodvor might end up being the most flexible when it comes to international orders.

Extras: photos from the film, 2016 presentations and reports in Cannes (in Slovenian), trailer (in Slovenian) and about the restoration process ("Erased Scenes" and "Documents of Time").
Does Kinodvor sell Blu-rays to international customers via online order? Their website does not seem to list 'Dolina Miru' at present and an email to their office address has, so far, not received a response. Thanks.

djvaso

#30 Post by djvaso » Thu May 25, 2017 8:12 am

dobrien wrote:
L.A. wrote:

Does Kinodvor sell Blu-rays to international customers via online order? Their website does not seem to list 'Dolina Miru' at present and an email to their office address has, so far, not received a response. Thanks.
Neither Kinodvor nor any other seller support international online payment. One can buy at Kinodvor via bank transfer and invoice must be issued to and paid by the same person.
BTW, I am still waiting for someone to bring my copy from Slovenia.

dobrien

#31 Post by dobrien » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:24 pm

L.A. wrote:

I ordered my copy from videoart.si, with a little help from translation software. The shipping cost me as much as the Blu-ray, but delivery to the UK took only a few days and it was securely packaged. The restoration is very impressive and while the extras aren't subtitled it was worth the purchase. If it matters, my Blu-ray player identifies the disc as a BD-R, which may deter some. Perhaps there will be a pressed Blu-ray release further down the line in another country, but with a title like this the odds aren't great.

djvaso

#32 Post by djvaso » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:37 pm

I was very surprised when I found out in a private conversation that Jugoslovenska Kinoteka had published 3 Blu-rays named "Serbia in the Balkans Wars". I have try to find some pieces of information in Internet and my search gives only a brief notice in the document "Audiovisual Policy - Film Heritage".
UPDATE
My nephew hас bought these Blu-rays today and I'll get them in a month but my expectations are low with regards to quality.
Jugoslovenska Kinoteka also announced that three vintage films about Belgrade presented at XIX Nitrate Film Festival (programme is here) will be released on Blu-ray and DVD.
Finally, they will begin full digital restoration some of the 100 best Serbian movies chosen by a undisclosed jury last year. But they didn't mention where they will find money.

djvaso

#33 Post by djvaso » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 am

Finally I have got these Jugoslovenska Kinoteka Blu-rays which are actually titled "Balkan Wars of Dyoka Bogdanovich I-III". Some pieces of information about releases: single-layer BD-Rs, MPEG-2 compression, menu in Serbian/English, Serbian intertitles with optional English subtitles, 4-page Serbian/English booklets.

htdm

#34 Post by htdm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:08 am

djvaso wrote:Finally I have got these Jugoslovenska Kinoteka Blu-rays which are actually titled "Balkan Wars of Dyoka Bogdanovich I-III": single-layer BD-Rs, MPEG-2 compression...
Hmm, how do they look?

djvaso

#35 Post by djvaso » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:40 am

I think that they are very decent. But judge yourself:
HRH Crown Prince Alexander at the Crni Vrh Battlefield (1913)

Colonel Nedich in Battle (1913)

Serbian Cities Veles and Shtip (1913)

Gramberg Hospital

Return of Mr. Pashich, Mr. Venizelos and Mr. Vukotich from Turn Severin to Belgrade (1913)

Life of Serbian Soldiers in Banyitsa Army Camp (1913)

djvaso

#36 Post by djvaso » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:00 am

Jugoslovenska Kinoteka has also released the following Blu-rays:
- The Life and Deeds of the Immortal Vožd Karađorđe (Живот и смрт бесмртног Вожда Карађорђа) (1911) directed by Ilija Stanojević 'Čiča' - Limited Combo Edition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_ ... 1or%C4%91e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- In God We Trust (Са вером у Бога) (1932) directed by Mihajlo Al. Popović
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234646/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Belgrade between two World Wars: Beograd (1919) directed by D.W.Ivanoff & W.Matusevisch, Beograd, prestonica Kraljevine Jugoslavije (1932) directed by Vojin M. Đorđević and Beograd (1932) directed by Julius Schmitt & Lavoslav Reichl

djvaso

#37 Post by djvaso » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:50 pm

dobrien wrote:
L.A. wrote:

I ordered my copy from videoart.si, with a little help from translation software. The shipping cost me as much as the Blu-ray, but delivery to the UK took only a few days and it was securely packaged. The restoration is very impressive and while the extras aren't subtitled it was worth the purchase. If it matters, my Blu-ray player identifies the disc as a BD-R, which may deter some. Perhaps there will be a pressed Blu-ray release further down the line in another country, but with a title like this the odds aren't great.
I am finally found some time to watch this movie and I am not impressed with technical specifications of the disc:

djvaso

#38 Post by djvaso » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 am

I have ordered Blu-rays but my stupid brother brings me DVDs. :shock:
Now, I have to wait at least a month for the proper releases.
Last edited by djvaso on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djvaso

#39 Post by djvaso » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Slovenian Film Centre has released a second Blu-ray in its Si-Fi Klasika edition: Funeral Feast (Sedmina) (Pozdravi Mariju) (1969) directed by Matjaž Klopčič.
https://www.film-center.si/sl/novice/75 ... -blu-rayu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope that the film will be better represented on Blu-ray disc than The Valley of Peace was.

djvaso

#40 Post by djvaso » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 pm

djvaso wrote:Finally, they will begin full digital restoration some of the 100 best Serbian movies chosen by a undisclosed jury last year. But they didn't mention where they will find money.
They find.
"Ten cult movies that marked Serbian and regional cinematography will be digitally restored and ready to be screened in top picture and sound quality in theaters, said on a joint press conference of the Yugoslav Film Archive and Vip mobile on the occasion of the presentation of the 'Vip Kinoteka' project."
http://www.kinoteka.org.rs/vip-kinoteka ... e-bastine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Normally, I would ask a head of Kinoteka's Center for digital restoration about possible Blu-ray releases but he ignored my last two e-mails so I won't.

djvaso

#41 Post by djvaso » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:32 pm

I personally bought two Blu-rays in Kinoteka's shop yesterday:

In God We Trust

Belgrade

In God We Trust

djvaso

#42 Post by djvaso » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 pm

I hope the negotiation between Jugoslovenska Kinoteka and a big Serbian distributor about releasing movies from Vip Kinoteka project on factory pressed English-friendly Blu-ray discs will be successful.
These movies are restored so far:
Who's Singin' Over There? (1980)

When I Am Dead and Pale (1967)

Special Education (1977)

The Marathon Family (1982)

and these two are announced:
The Beauty of Vice (1986)

The Elusive Summer of '68 (1984)
Last edited by djvaso on Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

djvaso

#43 Post by djvaso » Sun May 27, 2018 9:31 am

A classik Serbian TV horror Leptirica (The She-Butterfly) directed by Đorđe Kadijević will be released in July in limited dual format edition (990 pieces) by Ostalgica.

djvaso

#44 Post by djvaso » Tue May 29, 2018 9:31 am

Real Pests! (To so gadi) (1977) in June

vertovfan

#45 Post by vertovfan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I received in the mail today three DVD sets from the Cinematheque of Macedonia:

Branko Gapo / Бранко Гапо
6 DVDs with 6 feature films:
Days of Temptation / Денови на искушение (1965, 104 min.)
Times Without War / Време без војна (1969, 80 min.)
A Shot / Истрел (1972, 98 min.)
The Longest Journey / Најдолгиот пат (1976, 126 min.)
Times, Waters / Време, води (1980, 139 min.)
A Macedonian Saga / Македонска сага (1993, 113 min.)

Stole Popov / Столе Попов
4 DVDs with 4 feature films:
The Red Horse / Црвениот коњ (1981, 124 min.)
Happy New Year ’49 / Среќна нова ’49 (1986, 125 min.)
Tattoo / Тетовирање (1991, 128 min.)
Gipsy Magic (1997, 135 min.)
1 DVD with 3 documentary films:
Fire / Оган (1974, 12 min.)
Australia, Australia / Австралија, Австралјиа (1976, 82 min.)
DAE (Mother) / ДАЕ (1979, 16 min.) (Oscar nominee for best documentary)

Ljubisha Georgievski / Љубиша Георгиевски
4 DVDs with 4 feature films:
Under the Same Sky / Под исто небо (1964, 77 min.)
The Mountain of Anger / Планината на гневот (1968, 81 min.)
The Republic in Flame / Републиката во пламен (1969, 105 min.)
The Price of a Town / Цената на градот (1970, 85 min.)
1 DVD with 3 documentary films:
No / Не (1966, 13 min.)
A Path / Патека (1967, 8 min.)
Sic transit gloria mundi – Heraklea / Sic transit gloria mundi – Хераклеа (1974, 10 min.)
+ Interview with Ljubisha Georgievski (45 min.)
+ Documentary film “77/55” (45 min.)

Each of the sets includes a bilingual booklet in Macedonian and English, and the covers indicate subtitles in English, Macedonian, and Albanian. I’m not a fan of this type of case because I’ve received broken ones so many times, and in fact there was some minor damage to these as well, but luckily the discs themselves look alright. Payment was via bank wire transfer and was more difficult than I expected (something to do with paying in Euros to a non-SEPA [Single Euro Payments Area] country) but it eventually worked with XE Money Transfer (https://transfer.xe.com). I contacted the Cinematheque via the email at the bottom of their website (kinoteka@ukim.edu.mk) and their response to this and subsequent emails was always prompt and helpful. I’m very much looking forward to diving into these sets!

Many of the films are also available for streaming (free, most with English subtitles) on the Cinematheque of Macedonia website:
http://maccinema.com/info/splash.html

I was also lucky enough to find a copy of France Štiglic’s Wolf’s Night (Волча ноќ) (1955) on eBay. It appears to be an earlier release from Cinematheque of Macedonia, and it too includes English subtitles (plus several other languages) and a booklet in Macedonian and English. It’s a World War II partisan drama, notable for depicting the protagonists as prone to normal human weaknesses rather than unfailingly heroic.

djvaso

#47 Post by djvaso » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Unfortunately, there won't be Serbian classics on Blu-rays. The producer and right owner of these restored movies Centar Film (now more or less a shell company) is not interested in releasing them on physical media. They even blocked the ultra-limited-not-for-sale releases for Vip Mobile (backer of the project). Instead, they sold them to RTS (Serbian Broadcasting Company). The very first peace of news about broadcasting didn't even mention Jugoslovenska Kinoteka and Vip and one could get impression that RTS had done digitization and restoration. Furthermore, the original introduction on every movie which states ”The digitization and restoration of this movie has been provided by Vip” was replaced by logo “50+ Years of Centar Film”.

vertovfan

#48 Post by vertovfan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:20 pm

That’s really too bad, since there are some wonderful films on that list. I wonder if they’ll show up on a streaming service eventually.

djvaso

#49 Post by djvaso » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:03 pm

I have got some releases from Si-Fi Klasika as a gift and I'll post theirs specifications soon.

djvaso

#50 Post by djvaso » Tue May 28, 2019 11:55 am

I am very disappointed, only DVDs [-X