It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 887 Lost in America
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:13 pm 

Lost in America

Image Image

In this hysterical satire of Reagan-era values, written and directed by Albert Brooks, a successful Los Angeles advertising executive (Brooks) and his wife (Julie Hagerty) decide to quit their jobs, buy a Winnebago, and follow their Easy Rider fantasies of freedom and the open road. When a stop in Las Vegas nearly derails their plans, they're forced to come to terms with their own limitations and those of the American dream. Brooks's barbed wit and confident direction drive Lost in America, a high point in the string of restless comedies about insecure characters searching for satisfaction in the modern world that established his unique comic voice and transformed the art of observational humor.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New conversation with director Albert Brooks and filmmaker Robert Weide
• New interviews with actor Julie Hagerty, executive producer Herb Nanas, and comic writer and director James L. Brooks
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by critic Scott Tobias

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:05 pm 

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Not that we needed much more confirmation for Lost in America, but Albert Brooks directly confirmed its future release on Twitter.

I hope they use the original poster artwork, it's probably my favorite official poster from a Hollywood movie from that era. That being said, I can't believe I still haven't seen it yet, probably because I've always suspected that it doesn't live up to the poster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:59 pm 

It's a classic film. So glad to see Criterion is getting it, and hopefully developing something with Brooks that could mean other films of his coming in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:59 pm 

I hope we get a nice tribute to the late Monica Johnson on this. I'd love to know more about her working relationship with Brooks on his finest films.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:02 pm 

The cover for this should be a copy of the CC edition of Easy Rider lying in a trash can.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:30 pm 

Or an egg in a nest with a mute sign over it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:32 am 

Albert Brooks making his first appearance on Letterman (on NBC's Late Night), where he jokes about finding the financing for Lost in America. This was taped on November 24, 1982, a few years before the film was finally made.

Post subject: Re: 887 Lost in America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:08 pm 

July 25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:43 pm 

Beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:55 pm 

Ooh, I appreciate that snippet in the review here that Criterion's used clips from the two Brooks films that preceded it in the supplements. I assume they'll be on the backburner like any other Director Criterion gets a few at a time of, but it's a very encouraging sign they'll be coming.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 pm 

I haven't gone through the special features outside of the Albert Brooks-Robert Weide interview yet, but while that didn't have any clips from his previous movies, it does end with Brooks telling Weide, after they reveal a behind-the-scenes secret about Lost in America, "Let's ruin the other movies!". And the conversation sidesteps almost everything about Real Life and Modern Romance, leaving plenty of room for future conversations about those ones. Not that either of those is really a concrete smoking gun, but they are at least mildly encouraging about the possibility of future Brooks releases.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:41 am 

bluray.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:39 am 

Jeez, Svet, how about some spoiler alerts on that review?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:14 pm 

Amazing how hysterical this was after so many viewings. I watched a handful of favorite scenes before skipping to the extras, and even though they repeat some of the same clips over and over again, I was cracking up each and every time. The two scenes about Mercedes are especially impressive after watching the extras because 1) we now know who was the voice on the other end of the phone and 2) the man in the other scene is Brooks's manager, and if he's never acted before, it's pretty slick how he nails the delivery of his lines when he reacts to Brooks's actions.