It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:02 am 

Haynes' latest starts shooting next week. It's an adaptation of Brian Selznick's sophisticated children's book, Wonderstruck (Selznick also wrote The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which became Scorsese's Hugo). Like the book, the film will tell parallel stories in two time periods, 1927 and 1977. The 1927 portion will be shot as a silent film, with the lead and much of the supporting cast comprised of deaf actors. Julianne Moore will also star in the silent portion. The 1977 portion stars Oakes Fegley (of the upcoming Pete's Dragon remake) with Michelle Williams. Haynes' usual collaborators including Ed Lachmann and Sandy Powell are on board. I can't wait to see what he does with this material. Amazon Studios is financing and distributing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:35 am 

Damn excited about this one. And very curious to see how far he goes with the "silent" section - i.e. will it be heavy with words still, or will he use the conceit to free him to do pure, visual, wordless cinema? (Unlike The Artist which heavily relied on title cards.)

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:56 pm 

The first clip looks absolutely gorgeous.

And here's the first poster.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:02 pm 

Haynes is one of my favorites, but I'm not sure how great this will come out unless they changed quite a bit. Just like Hugo the book, I found the book interesting at first but incredibly anti climactic and disappointing come the end.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:02 am 

Variety review confirms what I suspected. Just like Hugo, first rate director unable to over come Selznick sub parts book.
It appears they changed absolutely nothing from the book. I still believe Haynes will make a great first hour or so, but nothing can change the anticlimactic fizzle of an ending

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:10 pm 

Hell, I loved Scorsese's Hugo, I think that was a genuinely great film - but the mixed reviews for Wonderstruck has me a bit worried. Wish I could find a review from a critic I really liked.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:19 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Most reviews are singling out the poor central child performance in the film, sounds like there are more than structural issues at play here

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:55 pm 

I liked Scorsese's film, which focused a lot more on Mellies rather than the automaton and the child. The back half of the film is way better than the first. It's also much better than the book. Having read both Hugo and Wonderstruck in anticipation for this film, I was vastly disappointed. The way everything coalesced in the end of Wonderstruck is incredibly disappointing. It's a shame because I rather liked the concept (which Haynes made Cinematic with the silent BW/modern color) but the amount of contrivances that all lead to a shrug were disconcerting. I hoped Haynes will realize the weak ending but it appears they changed nothing. I'll still see it as with Hugo sometimes the adaptation improves, but seeing Selznick wrote this and the reviews I'm not expecting much.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:48 pm 

Ugh. From Sight & Sound:

Todd Haynes’s split-era kids’ yarn provides sumptuous but saccharine cinephilia: Haynes’s adaptation of Brian Selznick’s twin-track children’s detective adventure revels in the eloquence of silent cinema and gorgeous evocations of vintage New York, but falls dramatically flat

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:17 am 

dda1996a wrote:
Variety review confirms what I suspected. Just like Hugo, first rate director unable to over come Selznick sub parts book.
It appears they changed absolutely nothing from the book. I still believe Haynes will make a great first hour or so, but nothing can change the anticlimactic fizzle of an ending

i actually thought the majority of the movie was a little bit of a fizzle but the ending sequence was beautifully shot and realized. overall i thought the movie was pretty good.