Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
artfilmfan

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1501 Post by artfilmfan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm thinking of getting the Sony BDP S3700 from 220-electronics for its wifi capability (in addition to the multi-region capability). I know that the unit sold at Amazon is not modified to provide multi-region capability, but why are there so many negative reviews posted there for this model/unit that's sold on Amazon? Also, if I do get one from 220-electronics, does this unit perform automatic software update when it is connected to the internet and will the update mess up the multi-region mod/capability?
Last edited by artfilmfan on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Shade

#1502 Post by John Shade » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Artfilmfan, I bought my Sony from Best Buy so it doesn't have the region free capacity sadly, maybe next time. So far I have been happy with it, as I use a Sony 4K also. Now I tend to use the tv for internet, and I will admit that at one point my blu rays would mysteriously not play sound and I needed to do this plug in plug out business. All in all it's worked, but I am not nearly as savvy as others on this board and can't really grade blu ray quality the way they do...

Morbii

#1503 Post by Morbii » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:10 pm

artfilmfan wrote:I'm thinking of getting the Sony BDP S3700 from 220-electronics for its wifi capability (in addition to the multi-region capability). I know that the unit sold at Amazon is not modified to provide multi-region capability, but why are there so many negative reviews posted there for this model/unit that's sold on Amazon? Also, if I do get one from 220-electronics, does this unit perform automatic software update when it is connected to the internet and will the update mess up the multi-region mod/capability?
I still prefer my PlayStation 3 (have never found a player I liked better during normal use, with the exception of that dastardly stop button), so I only use the S3700 for other region playback.

The minor annoyances I've seen so far:
1. It shuts itself off if you pause for long enough. Really not a big deal, and a plus for some (environmentally friendly and all that). The player does start up reasonably fast and is good at remembering your position (unlike a PS3 on the latter point!)
2. The real gripe I have is the default rewind/forward speeds. Forward is way too fast, rewind is way too slow. And further, if you do rewind again, it's then way too fast. This is where the PS3 has always been perfect to me and why it's my preferred player.
3. When you start video (including from a rewind/forward!), the audio takes a few seconds to start playing. I noticed this with my old oppo DVD player too. I suspect it's due to the receiver, though, and the sound processing (the PS3 does the decoding itself, so I think that's why this was never an issue).

It will not update automatically, and will just prompt you every so often (but maybe you can tell it to update automatically), but I think I did one update myself. I believe the 220 site says playback is guaranteed to survive updates, but you can double check.

artfilmfan

#1504 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Thank you both for your replies on the BDP S3700 unit.

David M.

#1505 Post by David M. » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Morbii wrote:
artfilmfan wrote:I'm thinking of getting the Sony BDP S3700 from 220-electronics for its wifi capability (in addition to the multi-region capability). I know that the unit sold at Amazon is not modified to provide multi-region capability, but why are there so many negative reviews posted there for this model/unit that's sold on Amazon? Also, if I do get one from 220-electronics, does this unit perform automatic software update when it is connected to the internet and will the update mess up the multi-region mod/capability?
I still prefer my PlayStation 3 (have never found a player I liked better during normal use, with the exception of that dastardly stop button), so I only use the S3700 for other region playback.

1. It shuts itself off if you pause for long enough. Really not a big deal, and a plus for some (environmentally friendly and all that). The player does start up reasonably fast and is good at remembering your position (unlike a PS3 on the latter point!)
2. The real gripe I have is the default rewind/forward speeds. Forward is way too fast, rewind is way too slow. And further, if you do rewind again, it's then way too fast. This is where the PS3 has always been perfect to me and why it's my preferred player.
3. When you start video (including from a rewind/forward!), the audio takes a few seconds to start playing. I noticed this with my old oppo DVD player too. I suspect it's due to the receiver, though, and the sound processing (the PS3 does the decoding itself, so I think that's why this was never an issue).

It will not update automatically, and will just prompt you every so often (but maybe you can tell it to update automatically), but I think I did one update myself. I believe the 220 site says playback is guaranteed to survive updates, but you can double check.

1. You can turn the eco stuff off in the menu I think?
2. Yeah, I found the same.
3. Sounds like the receiver. Try changing the audio output mode on the player to PCM rather than Bitstream and see if it makes a difference.

And yes, the multi region part is guaranteed to survive firmware updates.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1506 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:54 pm

So I finally broke down and bought a region A-dedicated blu-ray player only to find that they only have HDMI audio out now, nothing to plug into a receiver!

Can anyone recommend ideally a region A player that:
-has traditional audio out for left/right speakers on a receiver
-3d capable
-no noise reduction (as the Samsungs do)?

Thank you!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1507 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:05 pm

I run my Blu-Ray player to the TV, which has old fashioned audio output -- which I run to my receiver. For CDs, I use my old Oppo DVD player -- which I connect directly to the receiver (as well as via HDMI to the TV).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1508 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Probably the right call. Good idea.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1509 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:51 pm

With all the different pieces of equipment, we have a wide array of remote controls, all of which are necessary for one thing or another....

Morbii

#1510 Post by Morbii » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:53 am

David M. wrote:
Morbii wrote:

<snip>

1. You can turn the eco stuff off in the menu I think?
2. Yeah, I found the same.
3. Sounds like the receiver. Try changing the audio output mode on the player to PCM rather than Bitstream and see if it makes a difference.

And yes, the multi region part is guaranteed to survive firmware updates.
I don't recall seeing #1 while going through the options, but I might have missed it as when I did that I wouldn't have known what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip on #3! I was pretty sure it was the receiver, but wanted to be thorough.

For me, the FF/RW is the only real issue I have, and I still consider it pretty minor.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from getting this player, I was just trying to be specific in the context of the question. As to earlier, I recommend it and the PQ and audio are both top notch!

For me, it's also difficult to "change tracks", which is another reason why I still prefer my PS3 for general use. That said, I am a fan of the S3700 and my willingness to use it for other regions only should hopefully extend its life, it being more expensive and harder to obtain and all than region locked players.

John Shade

#1511 Post by John Shade » Thu May 11, 2017 4:29 pm

I think this might be the best place for me to post the following, but I'm sure something like this has been asked before so sorry if this is too repetitive.

I've been region A only for a long time--more and more I'm thinking of getting a region free player. Seems as though most on this board have one, any early recommendations? I already have the Sony listed above which looks great with a 4k capable tv, is there a way I can just switch that player? Any people not recommend I do this? (Maybe in some keyvip getting drowned in blu rays possibility?)

edit: Some useful searching around the board and internet has given me some good options, but not to make this post a complete waste anyone else who wants to chime in feel free..
Last edited by John Shade on Mon May 15, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willoneill

#1512 Post by willoneill » Fri May 12, 2017 9:46 pm

I have a technical question, but not related to home video. I just got back from I, Daniel Blake, not knowing that there would be English subtitles (I found them unnecessary, and oddly enough, wrong a few times). I spoke to one of the theatre staff, and they said that's the way the film came. One on the way home though, I got to thinking that while that was true in the days of film prints, why would that be the case with digital cinema files? Does anyone know anything about this?

knives

#1513 Post by knives » Fri May 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Sometimes it is easier to hard encode the subtitles rather than giving the option to switch it on and off.

MichaelB

#1514 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 13, 2017 4:03 am

knives wrote:Sometimes it is easier to hard encode the subtitles rather than giving the option to switch it on and off.
That doesn't make much sense to me, unless you're talking about making it easier for dimwitted projectionists.

knives

#1515 Post by knives » Sun May 14, 2017 12:05 am

Yes.

Banasa

#1516 Post by Banasa » Sun May 14, 2017 9:39 am

If I recall, in my town there have been people using older digital projectors that no longer can be upgrade their software.This has lead to subtitles not being displayed if certain presenters have chosen a less typical font for subtitles because the system can not recognise them in their current digital format.

Not sure how many instances of this there is, but it has happened.

Morbii

Survivability of blu-rays in heat?

#1517 Post by Morbii » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:51 am

Hopefully this is the right place for this:

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the survivability of blu-rays in heat?

I was excited today about getting 9 separate packages from Barnes & Noble (because fuck software that notices everything is shipping to one address from the same warehouse at the same time). I get to my lockbox to find: 0 packages. Ok, I figured that even though the post office had them yesterday, maybe they still didn't come today. So, I check the tracking, only to find they've all been delivered. I troll around my house/backyard in the usual places where other carriers will leave things and don't find it. I don't know why, but something told me to look behind some bushes in my front yard, which, if you see them, you'd note they are a PERFECT place to put packages if you want to hide them from the recipient for long periods of time. Sure enough, there's a huge stack of packages. Only, there's 10 packages, not 9. 2 1/2 months ago, I had ordered a Bride of Re-Animator BD from amazon.co.uk. They eventually sent me a new one as I never got it. Well, that package was the 10th one. A snail (at some point) had started eating through it (but didn't make it to the BD itself), and it probably even got rained on.

TLDR: A BD in a shipping package (that that is still sealed and in perfect shape) probably sat out there for roughly 2 months, possibly got rained on, and certainly saw multiple days of 100+ temperatures. It most likely did not get any direct sunlight, though. What are the odds that this BD has survived so I can sell it (amazon told me I can do what I want with it if I ever found it)?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1518 Post by tenia » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:37 am

I believe it needs to be lower than minus 20°C or more than 50°C, or an insanely fast change in temperature. So you should be fine.

Morbii

#1519 Post by Morbii » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks.

kekid

#1520 Post by kekid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:09 pm

I am not knowledgeable about the technical jargon pertaining to the production of a Blu Ray disc starting from the original film source. Specifically, what is the precise meaning of terms like restoration, transfer, encode, etc. (I am not sure I know all relevant terms to make a comprehensive list). As a result, I have sometimes posted questions using a wrong term, and people corrected me before answering the question. It will be helpful to me if someone could explain in simple language what these terms mean (please feel free to add additional terms: for example, how can discs produced by different companies from the same encode look different; what is the name of the process that makes them different? etc.). Thank you.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1521 Post by Drucker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:27 pm

I will try to be helpful though I am not one of the experts here:

A restoration is creating a brand new master copy of a film. A company or foundation will take the best available elements (the original camera negative or something as close to it as possible), scan those elements, and then use technology to get the film looking "brand new." If done right, in most cases, the film will look and sound as good as if not better than a brand new copy would have looked theatrically upon release. Nowadays, most things are scanned and uploaded digitally, but in the past this would have been done with photo chemical restoration. A combination of both still occurs frequently I believe.

Check out this trailer on the restoration of The Apu Trilogy which shows how much work it can take.

A transfer and encode are essentially the same thing. Encoding a disc is essentially transferring the "master" on to physical media. The restoration house that does the work described above is often different than the company distributing the film on home video. The former can be done exquisitely and perfectly, but to make sure the restoration looks accurate on home video requires essentially a transcription process to get the video on disc. Sometimes this is done well (like with the above Apu Trilogy) and sometimes it's done poorly.

If I'm way off the mark I will delete.
Last edited by Drucker on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1522 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:42 pm

I believe the big issue with encoding is how to optimally compress a master that's hundreds of GBs large down to 30-50GB so it will fit on a Blu-ray disc.

MichaelB

#1523 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:28 pm

swo17 wrote:I believe the big issue with encoding is how to optimally compress a master that's hundreds of GBs large down to 30-50GB so it will fit on a Blu-ray disc.
Indeed. And a lot of people get hung up on the numbers, but a good manual encode at, say, 30MB/sec may well look noticeably better than an automatic one at 35.

kekid

#1524 Post by kekid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Thank you Drucker, swo17 and MichaelB for your responses. Do I understand from these that if Kino and Arrow were to use the same encode of a film, the Blu Rays will be essentially identical in quality? Or is there some aspect of manufacture that can differentiate the two?

Separately, there has been occasional reference to "skipping/repeating every nth frame" to account for the film speed in ft per second of the original. I recall some discussion (I think) about the Blu Rays of Griffith's Intolerance as done by MoC being superior to that done by Cohen, and it was suggested that Pedro Costa's Colossal Youth will inherently be better in the MoC version than the Criterion version due to some such technical detail. Could you please clarify the basic issue(s) underpinning these situations? Are decisions to account for these issues part of the encode process?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1525 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:35 pm

If it really is the same encode being used by different companies, I don't believe there should be a difference. I don't know how commonly this happens though (other than cases where it's advertised, like when Cohen collaborates with one of the UK labels).

Modern films typically run at 24 frames per second, whereas many silents run at slower speeds. If you showed each silent frame once, it would run at 24fps. If the correct speed is, say, 20fps, then you would need to include 4 duplicate frames along with the 20 intended for that second so that it takes one whole second to see them all.

A separate issue is that something like Colossal Youth was shot in PAL video, as opposed to film. This is much lower than Blu-ray quality, but higher quality than DVD (more lines of resolution). PAL also runs at 25fps instead of 24. So when MoC issued that film on a PAL DVD, you're seeing it just as it was shot. In contrast, when Criterion issued it on NTSC DVD, the frame rate was slowed down, and it was also presented with fewer lines of resolution. Does that make sense?