Toni Erdmann [Untitled U.S. Remake] (Lisa Cholodenko, 201X)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.

hearthesilence

Re: Toni Erdmann (Maren Ade, 2016)

#2 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Adam McKay is co-producing alongside Will Ferrell and Jessica Elbaum
This doesn't fill me with any optimism.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#3 Post by Brian C » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Well, I can't say I'm too excited about the movie itself, but I'm still glad to know that Nicholson willing to act again. I just assumed that he was in poor health or otherwise unable to act in films, so I'm happy that's apparently not the case.

hearthesilence

#4 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:45 pm

It is nice that's he back (in a lot of ways, he's one of my favorite performers), but it's been a while since I've seen him in anything worthwhile. Looking at his filmography, the last performances I liked came in 2001 and 2002 with The Pledge and About Schmidt, and I either hated or had no interest in just about every film he's done since then. The one exception - The Departed - was a qualified success, and it was nearly torpedoed by his over-the-top performance.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:00 pm

How Do You Know was one of the best films of the year, but not because of anything Nicholson did in it

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#6 Post by Brian C » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:12 pm

domino harvey wrote:How Do You Know was one of the best films of the year, but not because of anything Nicholson did in it
I remember you saying this before, and I really want to argue with it ... just not badly enough to actually watch the film!

Professor Wagstaff

#7 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Brian C wrote:Well, I can't say I'm too excited about the movie itself, but I'm still glad to know that Nicholson willing to act again. I just assumed that he was in poor health or otherwise unable to act in films, so I'm happy that's apparently not the case.
Louis C.K. tried to get Nicholson for Horace and Pete. According to C.K. Nicholson told him, "...the writing is terrific, but I'm not gonna do it.... You know what I did today? I went out to the tree in my yard and I sat under it and I read a book. And when I was done, I went back inside.' "

As a fan of Nicholson's work, I still hope we get more films from him, but if he doesn't need the money or to have his ego placated, he might as well enjoy his golden years.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:43 pm

I am certain they offered him an astronomical amount of money to say yes to this. Everyone has their price

Kirkinson

#9 Post by Kirkinson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:04 am

domino harvey wrote:I am certain they offered him an astronomical amount of money to say yes to this. Everyone has their price
I'm sure he's getting an astronomical amount of money either way, but FWIW, the Variety article claims it was Nicholson who approached Paramount (because he loved the original), not the other way around.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:58 am

I'm shuddering just imagining the amount of corners that'll need to be cut, particularly in the way the film deals with sexuality

John Shade

#11 Post by John Shade » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:26 am

I'm excited to see Nicholson again, but I'm equally intrigued by this How Do You Know? as a great film off-shoot. I actually liked that movie, but I like almost all of the stars and the director; still I think it was a bit long. I usually receive some ridicule for claiming Spanglish as one of the best of the early '00s.

And I take back what I said about Sandler's film being the only American version of Toni that we need, if nothing else just to see Jack on a weird farewell tour.

Ribs

#12 Post by Ribs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:37 am

I think this is some modestly inspired casting, though I do wonder if Nicholson is already just too "weird" that the joke of him putting on a comic persona might not land as well. I think that balance was the key to casting it, but it also ruled out a lot of the more interesting names.

Knowing Adam McKay and Will Ferrell are involved on a production level doesn't give me much hope they'll be going for "actually great movie," which is a modest shame. It's being reported that Kristen Wiig is attached as the daughter, which is also fine casting if a little unexciting.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#13 Post by Shrew » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:04 pm

McKay and Ferrell are producers because it's under their Gloria Sanchez company, which aims to get female talent behind the camera. Hence they're looking for a female director. I wouldn't read too much into the film's quality based on their names although the comedy will surely be broader.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#14 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Fuck, fuck, fuck:

Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner in talks to write the remake

Nobody at Paramount saw their own film (Young Adult) and though to call up Diablo Cody for this? They decided to court a [wo]manchild who has never written anything outside of the purview of a narcissistic overgrown teenager to pen a screenplay about an accomplished adult professional's complicated relationship with her father? A remake of a film that should have won the Palme d'Or? Really?

Big Ben

#15 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Always nice to see things that immediately remind me of everything wrong in the universe and that it is wholly indifferent to our suffering. This is awful news.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#16 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Always nice to see things that immediately remind me of everything wrong in the universe and that it is wholly indifferent to our suffering. This is awful news.
Looking forward to the James Franco remake of The White Ribbon

knives

#17 Post by knives » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:26 pm

I would like to see that actually.

Big Ben

#18 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 pm

No no what we all want to see is James Franco's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridan. Which was or is a thing.

Regardless I shudder to think Jack Nicholson would consider coming out of retirement to star in film written by Lena Dunham. The Universe is THAT cruel.

hearthesilence

#19 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Can we get Gwyneth Paltrow to play the daughter?

furbicide

#20 Post by furbicide » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Big Ben wrote:No no what we all want to see is James Franco's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridan. Which was or is a thing.

Regardless I shudder to think Jack Nicholson would consider coming out of retirement to star in film written by Lena Dunham. The Universe is THAT cruel.
*shrug* As much as I'm not thrilled about the idea of Toni Erdmann being remade, I'm more interested in a film written by Lena Dunham than one starring Jack Nicholson at this point in time.

felipe

#21 Post by felipe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:54 pm

As much as I despise the idea of remaking a pretty much flawless film, this got me kind of excited for seeing Wiig and Nicholson on those roles.

Oedipax

#22 Post by Oedipax » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Can't wait to see how the original's critique of neoliberalism is transposed onto Dunham's Clinton-boosting marketplace feminism. (Actually I can wait, preferably for as long as I live.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Hey, give Dunham a break, one of her horrible tattoos is of a German film

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#24 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:Hey, give Dunham a break, one of her horrible tattoos is of a German film
Triumph of the Will or Stroszek?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Turns out I was thinking of the lead singer of Best Coast and her Berlin Alexanderplatz tat. It was foolish of me to believe Lena Dunham had ever enjoyed a good movie, so I apologize for impugning her reputation by suggesting otherwise