Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Gordon

#101 Post by Gordon » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:58 am

I have Stalker and A Short Film About Killing lined up from Amazon after ordering them in the £7.97 sale. Stalker is listed as "Delivery: 1-2 weeks", which doesn't bode well. I guess that the sale was popular!

Matango

#102 Post by Matango » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:59 am

Stick with it...I think they are hoping we cancel.

peerpee
not perpee

#103 Post by peerpee » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:05 pm

Amazon eventually sent a friend of mine TEN copies of APU TRILOGY for 9.99 each -- so they do deliver --- eventually.

(he gave them as Xmas presents)

What A Disgrace

#104 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:06 pm

I would definitely stick with it, if I were you. I had ordered Werckmeister Harmonies and The Apu Trilogy, at their extra low prices, way back when the sale began, and finally got them early in December. You'll get them, eventually.

I wish the Jean Vigo Collection had gone on sale. If I had to wait a whole half of a year for that to ship, I would still be a happy man.

zedz

#105 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:05 pm

I was drip-fed the titles I ordered very slowly. I finally received Apu just before Christmas, but The End of Summer is still AWOL.

mbowmanh

#106 Post by mbowmanh » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:46 pm

My "End of summer" and "Regeneration" were both canceled by amazon.co.uk as undeliverable.

zedz

#107 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:52 pm

My End of Summer was just cancelled as well, so I've sent an extremely obnoxious rant to Customer Services. I'll report back if I hear anything.

EDIT: That was quick! Amazon insists that the disc is no longer available and any new orders made for it would not be able to be filled (and they say they'll be updating their website accordingly soon). They have issued a gift certificate for my inconvenience, however, so if you're in the same boat, it's worth making a fuss.

Matango

#108 Post by Matango » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:42 am

Did they give a reason for it being not available? It's not OOP as far as I know. And how much was the certificate for, so I know what to shoot for when they cancel mine? Thanks.

Titus

#109 Post by Titus » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:38 am

Well, shit. I haven't gotten the email yet, but I assume my End of Summer will be cancelled as well. I just hope Stalker will ship out soon.

mbowmanh

#110 Post by mbowmanh » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:03 am

I got my reply last night: for the "Regeneration" they offered me a "gift certificate" for 3.00 GBP and for "End of Summer" they told me to buy it from their Auctions or Zshops sites. I will abstain from a commentary.

Matango

#111 Post by Matango » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:05 am

Here's a surprise. I just got a reply from Amazon, and they tell me that my End of Summer is in fact on the way, and is currently in their rather Barbarellaesque-sounding "Fulfilment Centre". Less specific on Dolls, but it's going to come eventually, they say.

...and a few hours later, The End of Summer is in the mail, they say. I'm not gloating here, just mentioning this in case any other EoS purchasers might want to take up the issue, and hopefully get the product that Amazon UK seem to be otherwise backing away from.

Titus

#112 Post by Titus » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Hmmm, they just sent me an email saying they've dispatched End of Summer and it's on it's way. Strange considering I didn't even place my order until mid-December.

You guys might want to take it up with them again as, apparently, they've gotten more in stock.

mbowmanh

#113 Post by mbowmanh » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:18 pm

After 5 emails, they finally got the situation straightened out. I had ordered both "Regeneration" and "End of Summer" at the discount price and their count-offer was to have one at discount. They finally agreed to both at discount. The question now being, hoe long will I actually have to wait for delivery; I order originally in November and early December.

otis

#114 Post by otis » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:24 am

Matango

#115 Post by Matango » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:32 am

Just got my End of Summer in the mail. Plays ok, but that's some sloppy package production...poor quality cover shot and a disc label so blurry it makes me dizzy. If I didn't know better I'd think it was a pirate. Come to think of it, I don't know better...But surely not from Amazon, right?

Daze

#116 Post by Daze » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:59 pm

Does Artificial Eye release any region 1 discs? Or do they have a working relationship with a region 1 label?

I'm dying to see the early Angelopoulos films.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#117 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:22 pm

Matango wrote:Just got my End of Summer in the mail. Plays ok, but that's some sloppy package production...poor quality cover shot and a disc label so blurry it makes me dizzy. If I didn't know better I'd think it was a pirate. Come to think of it, I don't know better...But surely not from Amazon, right?
The color balancing is off -- significantly. this should be a very warm looking film -- emphasizing rich golds. browns, reds and green. This version has a sort of icy blue cast overall. Very disappointing.

solent

#118 Post by solent » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:02 am

IVAN'S CHILDHOOD & MIRROR plus much more going for 65% or more off at Amazon now. Also Tartan Bergman's icluding PERSONA & KNOW ALL THESE WOMEN. I held off of MIRROR expecting this to happen [having got STALKER cheap last year] but I ordered it today after a routine search & subsequent shock.

The only obvious question about MIRROR is: Is this old stock [with one audio Russian track] or new [with the restored original audio]? I emailed Amazon and await a reply.

ben d banana

#119 Post by ben d banana » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:19 am

From the Tarkovsky thread:
porquenegar wrote:
King of Kong wrote:I may have already asked this question, but I'm thinking of picking up the Artificial Eye edition of Mirror. Could amazon.co.uk be trusted to send me the newer version with the mono soundtrack?
I picked up Stalker during the recent sale and it included the mono soundtrack even though it wasn't listed on the descriptions blurb. Apparently the initial Artificial Eye discs of didn't include the mono track but do now. I can't tell you for sure but chances are good that you will get the updated disc.
King of Kong wrote:I just received my Mirror, and it comes with mono! Yeeeeah!

spencerw

#120 Post by spencerw » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:01 am

Daze wrote:I'm dying to see the early Angelopoulos films.
It looks as if the Greek New Star label will beat AE to the punch, given that they propose to issue all 12 of Angelopoulos's films, in transfers supervised by the director, by the end of March. The first three releases (Travelling Players, Ulysses' Gaze and Weeping Meadow) can be picked up on eBay for about $35, including postage.

Titus

#121 Post by Titus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:25 pm

spencerw wrote:It looks as if the Greek New Star label will beat AE to the punch, given that they propose to issue all 12 of Angelopoulos's films, in transfers supervised by the director, by the end of March. The first three releases (Travelling Players, Ulysses' Gaze and Weeping Meadow) can be picked up on eBay for about $35, including postage.
Not to derail this thread from AE, but is there any online retailer that would ship these discs to the US? The ebay seller is charging $46 a piece, plus $5 shipping. At $50 a pop, I think I'd rather wait out the AE releases.

spencerw

#122 Post by spencerw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:58 pm

Not to derail this thread from AE, but is there any online retailer that would ship these discs to the US? The ebay seller is charging $46 a piece, plus $5 shipping. At $50 a pop, I think I'd rather wait out the AE releases.
Follow this link for the Travelling Players at $35.90, including postage: http://tinyurl.com/cbhuy. See the same seller's stock for the other discs.

spencerw

#123 Post by spencerw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:49 pm

Gordon

#124 Post by Gordon » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:06 pm

The Double Life Of Veronique listed at Play.com, with a 24th April release, for £16.99:

www.play.com/title:880743

* Conversation with Kieslowski
* Interview with Irene Jacob
* 'Kieslowski, Polish Filmmaker' documentary
* Short films: 'The Musicians' (1958) / 'Factory' (1970) / 'Hospital' (1976) / 'Railway Station' (1980)

Great stuff! Or should I wait for a region 1, ie. Criterion edition?

spencerw

#125 Post by spencerw » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:28 pm

It seems likely that it will be a port of the MK2 release. Judging from the review at DVDrama the MK2 transfer is drawn from a meticulous new restoration ("quite simply perfect", says dvdrama). Will Criterion do better? How long will we have to wait to see?