Milestone

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Milestone

#651 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:50 pm

Got my set in today, thanks Milestone!

What A Disgrace

#652 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:10 pm

According to the latest update of the Milestone 2016 catalogue, The Magic Box will be released on November 15. Retail price is $99.99 for the DVD, $119.99 for the Blu-ray.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#653 Post by barryconvex » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Got mine today too. It really is a thing of beauty, the fact that it has movies in it that one can watch is almost secondary to its awe inspiring cube-ness...Thank you Milestone!!

senseabove

#654 Post by senseabove » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:24 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:According to the latest update of the Milestone 2016 catalogue, The Magic Box will be released on November 15. Retail price is $99.99 for the DVD, $119.99 for the Blu-ray.
And for other folks who didn't realize it, "The Magic Box" is the 3-disc Shirley Clarke collection that will have her Robert Frost doc, various shorts, and misc other material.

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#655 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:31 pm

I'm still waiting for both my volume 1 and volume 2. I made two separate orders. Hope that didn't complicate things for Milestone.

Oedipax

#656 Post by Oedipax » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:53 am

My shipping label was created over the weekend but so far no movement on the sets shipping (unless USPS is just slow to track it).

fdm

#657 Post by fdm » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:12 pm

If they were media mail orders they are going to take longer.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#658 Post by barryconvex » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:52 pm

I live just over the GW bridge from the good people at Milestone so of course mine got here quick. Media mail is tough to figure out-i've had packages take two weeks and packages take two days both traveling from California to NYC. As long as it's got a tracking number the USPS can't lose it (I guess they technically could but then they'd be on the hook for it) and because it's packed so well the chances of damage to the set are slim.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#659 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:06 pm

That's because media mail only goes out in batches every few days. Sometimes you luck out and don't have an extra wait, but it's not something you can bank on.

drdoros

#660 Post by drdoros » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:30 pm

Just want to say that the last orders went out today. It took 24 hours to ship 240 copies and then another five days to pack them up and ship them! We thank everybody here who bought the set, thank you for your patience, and we hope you'll enjoy them!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#661 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:43 pm

Milestone announced on FB that they've renewed the rights for I Am Cuba, with DCP and Blu-ray to come

starmanof51

#662 Post by starmanof51 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:Milestone announced on FB that they've renewed the rights for I Am Cuba, with DCP and Blu-ray to come
\:D/ \:D/ Was holding out for a blu!

SpiderBaby

#663 Post by SpiderBaby » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:14 pm

Great news. Would be cool if they could keep the cigar box packaging for it.

kekid

#664 Post by kekid » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:37 pm

I am sorry to differ, but I found that cigar box packaging impractical (wastes precious shelf-space), and unable to protect the discs within (I had to return damaged discs more than once). Though it is perhaps not their design, I also found the two polish films boxes ridiculously large. I hope they design their future offerings in packaging that is more functional. There are many examples of packaging that is beautiful yet functional. Please understand that I admire Milestone's efforts to offer some unique material, and that they are doing this with very few people. My comment is intended to encourage them to reconsider their packaging decisions.

Gregory

#665 Post by Gregory » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 pm

The Polish Cinema sets are not Milestone releases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#666 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:06 am

The I Am Cuba set was great because it looked nice on a shelf but terrible because the slimline cases used inside it didn't have the hubs extended out far enough to prevent the discs from becoming dislodged. As far as I know no one ever got a set without at least one of the three discs floating about

drdoros

#667 Post by drdoros » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:28 pm

The I am Cuba hub problem was due to a really bad lab who is happily, now out of business.

Roscoe

#668 Post by Roscoe » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Will FILM and NOTFILM be coming out from Milestone?

drdoros

#669 Post by drdoros » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:36 pm

1) Yeah, the I am Cuba lab sucked. They're out of business now. That won't happen again. (Or at least, not THAT way.)

2) Give us some time. We're restoring six films and have a lot of releases coming up. And the 2K master will be very expensive so I have to find a way to budget it. So IAC will be out sometime next year.

3) Yes, of course Notfilm (and Film) will be coming from Milestone. We produced it!

L.A.

#670 Post by L.A. » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Take all the time you need for the work on I am Cuba. I am more than happy to wait and many thanks for releasing this again.

Finch

#671 Post by Finch » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:58 pm

So excited for the Blu-Ray of I AM CUBA. Bring it on.

drdoros

Re: Milestone and Mary Pickford Foundation

#672 Post by drdoros » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 am

For release October 17, 2016

Milestone Film & Video, Inc. thanks Mary Pickford Foundation for the opportunity to distribute the films in the library of the Mary Pickford Foundation for the past twenty years.

All inquiries concerning the Mary Pickford collection should now be directed to Elaina Archer of Mary Pickford Foundation at 310-339-3921.

What A Disgrace

#673 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:18 am

The Magic Box is being displayed on Milestone's website, but clicking on the picture leads to Ornette: Made in America. I'm excited to hear more details about the set, so this is a little frustrating!

drdoros

#674 Post by drdoros » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:32 am

Okay! I've put it up now online: http://milestonefilms.com/products/the- ... ley-clarke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, I'm always reluctant before it's released because Shopify has it as SOLD OUT and people worry. But here's the info here as well:

EXPERIMENTAL – DISC 1
1. Brussels Loops (58:52)
2. Bridges-Go-Round 1 (4:07)
3. Bridges-Go-Round 2 (4:16)
4. Scary Time (16:02)
5. Skyscraper (21:11)
6. Butterfly (3:41)
7. Tongues (20:22)
8. Savage/Love (26:20)
9. 24 Frames Per Second (2:59)
10. Three Video Variations on 24 Frames Per Second (11:39)

Shirley Clarke’s favorite movie characters were Groucho Marx, Betty Boop and above all, her beloved Felix the Cat. Clarke’s impishness, sense of adventure, and desire to battle society’s norms were all inspired by Felix. Clarke’s bold experimentation in these short films influenced hundreds of filmmakers and challenged the conventions of her time. First up is a feature-length collection of brilliant silent 3-minute vignettes now known as the Brussels Loops. Commissioned for the 1957 American Pavilion at the Brussels World Fair, most were shot by the acclaimed documentarian D.A. Pennebaker and edited by Clarke. Since the producer refused to allow them to be shown with music, Clarke said she cut them as jazz pieces. With the Loops comes a longer, rough-cut version of Pennebaker/Clarke’s wonderful short Gestures (that later was shortened and became Melting Pot) and a Pennebaker/Clarke short called World Kitchen, which never screened. World Kitchen is courtesy of Mr. Pennebaker and makes its world premiere here.

Bridges-Go-Round is seen in its two versions fully restored from the Clarke’s 16mm negative (its earliest version can be seen in the Brussels Loops). Scary Time and Skyscraper are courtesy of the Museum of Modern Art and were restored by Metropolis Post. Scary Time was commissioned by the United Nations which then banned it for years because of its disturbing images of disease and famine. Skyscraper, nominated for a 1961 Academy Award® for best documentary short, was a collaboration between Clarke, Willard van Dyke, Irving Jacoby, D.A. Pennebaker and Shirley’s friend John Sylvester White (later known as the principal in Welcome Back, Kotter). Butterfly was a film created by Shirley Clarke and Wendy Clarke for a 1967 New York screening protesting the Vietnam War. It was only shown the one time and never seen again until it was rediscovered while working on Project Shirley. Tongues and Savage/Love are two brilliant video collaborations from the playwright Sam Shepard, actor/playwright Joseph Chaikin and director Clarke. They feature visual effects that were astonishing for the time. Finally, 24 Frames Per Second was created for a Los Angeles County Museum of Art exhibition on Persian art and is one of her boldest experimentations in fast-cut editing. Following it are some video variations that may never have been screened.

DANCE – DISC 2

1. Shirley Dancing – A Photo Gallery (1:11)
2. Fear Flight (10:57)
3. Jelly Roll Morton (1:48)
4. Home Movies #20: Dance Tests. (5:53)
5. Dance in the Sun (Approx. 7:03)
6. In Paris Parks (Approx. 12:37)
7. In Paris Parks outtakes (9:08)
8. This Is Not In Paris Parks (14:20)
9. Decroux (15:30)
10. Bullfight (9:18)
11. Bullfight Outtakes (1:35)
12. Rose and the Players – Part 1 (13:19)
13. Rose and the Players – Part 2 (6:45)
14. A Moment in Love (9:06)
15. Four Journeys into Mystic Time: Initiation (28:13)
16. Four Journeys into Mystic Time: Trans (7:38)
17. Four Journeys into Mystic Time: One-Two-Three (8:20)
18. Four Journeys into Mystic Time: Mysterium (13:52)

A late bloomer because of what can now be diagnosed as dyslexia, Clarke found her identity as a dancer while in high school — perhaps a little late to become really accomplished at it. Shirley Dancing, made up mostly of photos that have not been seen since the late 1930s, does show a dancer of passion and charisma. Her transition from dancer/choreographer to filmmaker now seems like a natural progression, but her archives reveal how much work, dedication, intelligence and courage were needed to become an accomplished artist, especially in a medium dominated by men. Documenting that transition are newly discovered collaborations with the great dancer Beatrice Seckler (Fear Flight, Clarke’s first attempt at filmmaking) and an astonishing Holy Grail-like glimpse of choreographer/dancer Anna Sokolow’s famed A Short Lecture and Demonstration on the Evolution of Ragtime by Jelly Roll Morton (1952). Home Movies #20 Dance Tests dates from 1953 and shows Clarke working on her film technique before she shot her first “official” film later that year — Dance in the Sun starring the dancer Daniel Nagrin.

In 1954 Clarke and her family traveled to Paris to make a film with the famed French mime, Étienne Decroux. However, when she got there and found her star was elsewhere on tour, Clarke spent her time there taking her daughter Wendy out to play. She later said this inspired her to make In Paris Parks (1954), a giant leap forward in filmmaking technique and one of her best shorts. Wendy is the young girl playing with the hoop and stick in the film. Thanks to the cooperation of John Klacsmann and the Anthology Film Archives, this most recent restoration — off of Clarke’s original A/B rolls — reveal missing shots (and much better color) that have not been seen in many, many years. In Paris Parks Outtakes reveals a little more of the filmmaking process. However, discovered in her archives for the first time, was another can labeled “outtakes,” that shows that Clarke was also making a second film in Paris! Though not fully edited or finished, it presents a loving view of the city in the early 1950s. Because of the confusion that occurred when we first looked at this reel, we have called the second film This is Not In Paris Parks. We commissioned Donald Sosin to compose a new score for it.

In 1955, Clarke did get a chance to make a film with Decroux. Unfinished, it is not certain what this film was meant to portray but remains a fascinating portrait of his art. Bullfight is another collaboration with Anna Sokolow and it is the only record of the great dancer in performance. In the piece, Sokolow plays the matador, an audience member and the doomed animal. The Bullfight Outtakes , most of it shot by photographer Peter Buckley, exposes the beauty of the footage before it was manipulated for the final product.

Clarke and Sokolow envisioned their next collaboration as a much more ambitious film of extended length. Entitled The Rose and the Players and based on a painting by Pablo Picasso, it was to be a multi-layered film of humor and great beauty. The first part is the complete choreography for one of the dances and it’s a joy to see Sokolow in front instructing the dancers. The second part is color test footage shot on location in New Jersey of the scenes that were to follow — sadly, this film was never completed. However the project did evolve into Clarke and Sokolow’s masterpiece, A Moment in Love (1957). The disc finishes with four remarkable films Clarke did in the 1970s with choreographer Marion Scott, Four Journeys into Mystic Times. The last film, Mysterium is courtesy of the Museum of Modern Art. Sadly, the original negatives are missing, showing there is still future work to be done for Project Shirley!

ROBERT FROST AND THE HOME MOVIES – DISC 3

1. Robert Frost: A Lover's Quarrel With The World (52:05)
2. Christopher and Me (16:00)
3. Shirley Brimberg Home Movies (when she was young) (5:46)
4. Home Movies #10 Wedding and Pregnancy (7:43)
5. Home Movies #18 Florida (4:59)
6. Home Movies #14 With Helen Tamiris, Amala Shankar, Shirley (4:13)
7. Home movies #15 Shirley with camera (8:12)
8. Home Movie #16 Summer Camp and Edith Stein (11:06)
9. Television interview Shirley Clarke in Minneapolis (3:19)
10. Lion’s Love Outtakes (13:10)
11. The Brimberg and Clarke Photo Albums (5:46)

TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 132:19

Robert Frost: A Lover’s Quarrel with the World won an Academy Award® for Best Documentary in 1964 — but not without controversy. Producer Robert Hughes took over the film during editing after Shirley Clarke was let go by WGBH. How much each did remains a question but Clarke is credited as the director and attended the Oscars®. This is the long-unseen complete version, restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive and the Academy Film Archive.

Next is a “lost” children’s film, Christopher and Me, produced by Edward Foote and utilizing the incredible talents of Richard Leacock, D.A. Pennebaker and Shirley Clarke. It was rediscovered at the request of Mr. Pennebaker who had written a song for the film and used to sing it to his children when they were young. Christopher and Me is courtesy of George Foote, Jr.

The seven Clarke home movies, courtesy of the Wisconsin Center for Film & Theater Research, open a window into the personal life of Shirley (Brimberg) Clarke. Here you can see her early childhood in New York City and at their New Jersey summer home, Shirley with her beloved Felix the Cat doll, her wedding to Bert Clarke, their honeymoon, the first image of her holding the Bolex 16mm camera the couple received as a wedding present that she later used to start her career, the childhood of their daughter Wendy, some of their close friends (including Edith Stein and dancers Helen Tamiris and Uday Shankar), and even a shot of her dancing on the beach.

There is the very early in her career Television Interview (1956) of Clarke giving an indication of the trials she faced as a woman filmmaker. There’s also an on-the-set home movie shot in 1969 during Agnes Varda’s Lion’s Love that shows Clarke at ease and having fun as an actress. The parting treat of Project Shirley: The Magic Box is a photo gallery created from the photo albums of the Brimberg and Clarke families courtesy of Wendy Clarke.

What A Disgrace

#675 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:45 pm

That sounds absolutely lovely. Almost certainly the highlight of this year's short / mid length film compilations.