MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Finch

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3651 Post by Finch » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:20 pm

rapta wrote:Walter Hill's Hard Times
Oh God, yes. I'd kill for more Walter Hill though I'd have thought Second Sight would have gotten there first, seeing as they have other Hill films already (but then Studio Canal had The Driver). If Eureka/MoC got Hard Times, I'd peg it more as a Eureka Classics title though. Wouldn't really care which brand it ends up in with so long as someone does release it.

rapta

#3652 Post by rapta » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Finch wrote:tenia mentioned on BR.com that Kevin Lambert switched from MoC to Arrow and I wish Kevin best of luck in the new position of course but as Jon Robertson surely can't run MoC single-handedly with all the best will in the world, I wonder who's taking Kevin's place at MoC? Is Nick Wrigley coming back? Didn't he do the Paths of Glory cover?
There's a guy called Jacob who has now taken over, according to the auto response I just got. I seem to remember Kevin CCing some of my emails to him so I guess it was a transition before he left.

There are at least two others in the team handling other aspects too. Don't know if Nick Wrigley is back but he'd have a hard time keeping it shtum on Twitter (his account blurb still says that he left in 2012).
Finch wrote:
rapta wrote:Walter Hill's Hard Times
Oh God, yes. I'd kill for more Walter Hill though I'd have thought Second Sight would have gotten there first, seeing as they have other Hill films already (but then Studio Canal had The Driver). If Eureka/MoC got Hard Times, I'd peg it more as a Eureka Classics title though. Wouldn't really care which brand it ends up in with so long as someone does release it.
Yeah Second Sight have covered a couple of 'em, but they haven't licensed any Sony titles to Blu-ray since The Flight of the Navigator and Short Circuit and I'm sure they would've got this before now if they could have.

I wouldn't mind either if it was MoC or Eureka Classics and would buy it either way if Eureka were to release it. Of course the ultimate Walter Hill release would be the original theatrical cut of The Warriors though...but Hard Times would suffice in the meantime!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3653 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:21 am

People here might be quicker than elsewhere to be aware of that kind of things, but Kevin has left Eureka and is now Head of Catalogue Production and Acquisitions at Arrow.

Like people over at blu-ray.com, I of course wish him the best in his new position and hope he'll keep on working like he has been at MoC. I'm quite certain his work here has been hugely appreciated (or at least, I hope so !).

rapta

#3654 Post by rapta » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:23 am

tenia wrote:People here might be quicker than elsewhere to be aware of that kind of things, but Kevin has left Eureka and is now Head of Catalogue Production and Acquisitions at Arrow.

Like people over at blu-ray.com, I of course wish him the best in his new position and hope he'll keep on working like he has been at MoC. I'm quite certain his work here has been hugely appreciated (or at least, I hope so !).
I'm sure he will be - why else would they have hired him?

Do we know if he'll be covering Arrow Video and/or Arrow Academy and/or Arrow Films though? I wonder if he'll be allowed to be as vocal as he was on the Eureka thread on BR.com about Arrow releases (though he may just be way too busy for any of that, considering the frequency of Arrow's output).

Anyway, I do hope MoC can keep up with him gone. I'm sure his replacement will do a great job, and probably already has (I notice he's been part of the team for the past several months already). With things like this apparent Sony deal, more Taiwanese/Chinese titles, and more silents, it could prove to be an exciting chapter for Eureka - as well as Arrow.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3655 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:13 am

What A Disgrace

#3656 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:22 am

Continuing the trend of second-tier films from Hollywood auteurs. I'll buy it, though.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3657 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:34 am

Final announcement, a November #mastersofcinema release "one of the greatest British films of all time!" to be revealed Thurs at 4pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3658 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:37 am

Drucker wrote:
Final announcement, a November #mastersofcinema release "one of the greatest British films of all time!" to be revealed Thurs at 4pm
Carry On Up the Jungle [-o<

rapta

#3659 Post by rapta » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Drucker wrote:
I reckon it might be Kes, but I'd be even happier with Sunday Bloody Sunday. Obviously both have been released by Criterion already but they've been strangely absent in the UK (on Blu-ray at least). Same goes for A Taste of Honey...

Luke M

#3660 Post by Luke M » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:18 am

Powell and Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death?

rapta

#3661 Post by rapta » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:45 am

Luke M wrote:Powell and Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death?
That would obviously be a dream release, but ITV have that one and don't tend to license to other UK labels other than Network for some reason. However, they did license it to a German label last year for some reason, so I don't see why it hasn't got a UK release yet! Safe to say it'd be a day one purchase, and even better if they did license it to MoC or BFI because we'd get a much better encode (and extras, and guaranteed a booklet). ITV hardly release anything themselves anymore, so why not license it to a label who does want to release it?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3662 Post by Drucker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:15 am

Based on recent releases, I'm not expecting anything too exciting or a debut of anything. With that said, considering the Sony title was a bit of an unexpected coup, Barry Lyndon in the correct aspect ratio and with some extras would really be awesome.

Lowry_Sam

#3663 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:16 pm

Drucker wrote:
Hell Drivers

rapta

#3664 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:35 am

My suspicions confirmed: it's
SpoilerShow

andyli

#3665 Post by andyli » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:11 am

SpoilerShow
Wow, Kes is deservedly one of the greatest British films. It was restored in 6K years ago and had a wonderful Criterion blu-ray, so I wonder what MoC can add to that edition. Maybe a commentary track?

RossyG

#3666 Post by RossyG » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:49 am

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Drucker wrote:
Hell Drivers
Coming from Network, if the rumours are true.

What A Disgrace

#3667 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:15 am

Less disappointing than I thought it would be. I'll get it. It sounds like they may go all out on this one, as they did with their edition of If....

rapta

#3668 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:58 am

Yeah, they're calling this one the 'definitive' release, so I assume they're gonna try and top Criterion's effort.

However, some have pointed out they may not be able to get Cathy Come Home in any better condition than Criterion already did, so may have to do without it. That's okay with me if it means we get different supplements to replace it, as I'm sure the BFI or somebody will restore and release it one day.

As for other upcoming MoC titles, we definitely know E. A. Dupont's Varieté is coming soon (most likely November/early December), and somebody on here spilled the beans about Anthony Mann's The Man from Laramie (so we know they might now have a deal with Sony, which could also mean John Huston's Fat City too). Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Creepy should be coming to Blu-ray soon too (probably December) and I seem to remember them pretty much confirming we'd get Fritz Lang's Der Müde Tod [Destiny] soon as well. Then there have been other rumours concerning Hou Hsiao-hsien's Daughter of the Nile (or more Taiwanese titles anyway, which could also mean King Hu's Legend of the Mountain) and a title sourced from Deutsche Kinemathek which will most likely be G. W. Pabst's Pandora's Box or an upgrade to Carl Th. Dreyer's Vampyr (and if not, then possibly a different Pabst). So yes, a lot to look forward to in the coming months!

What A Disgrace

#3669 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:45 am

Announcements coming tomorrow. I just received Olive's Johnny Guitar Signature Edition, so I imagine it will be joining the Masters of Cinema series.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3670 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:29 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:I just received Olive's Johnny Guitar Signature Edition, so I imagine it will be joining the Masters of Cinema series.
I just made a pre-order today, so I guess that can be considered backup for you.

Ribs

#3671 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:31 pm

To be fair, they say there are four announcements coming but only one is for MoC - so nobody should get their hopes up for a stacked set of MoC titles for the end of the year.

rockysds

#3672 Post by rockysds » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:11 am

Amazon links up for the expected MoC of The Man From Laramie, plus DF Eureka releases of Lords of Dogtown, Roxanne and the series Maid Marian and her Merry Men on dvd.

rapta

#3673 Post by rapta » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:41 am

Very happy about Lords of Dogtown (which I have a soft spot for), and have never seen Roxanne but will happily buy that too at some point. Solid acquisitions from the Sony library so far from Eureka!

Extremely glad we're getting The Man from Laramie before the New Year - I thought it would be a way off, and we were more likely going to get the Buñuel or Dupont titles first! I expect we'll see those two in January/February now (and perhaps Lang's Destiny sometime in the new year too).

Forrest Taft

#3674 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:42 am

Eureka also confirms that they've acquired the rights to the new restonration of Der müde tod. I guess we all suspected this was coming from MoC, but nice to get a confirmation.
Revealed! We are pleased to announce that we have acquired the rights to the 2k digital restoration of Fritz Lang's DESTINY (aka Der müde Tod) which premiered at Berlinale 2016. More details about the Masters of Cinema release will be revealed over the upcoming months. Watch this space...

Finch

#3675 Post by Finch » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:49 pm

They also got the Japanese film Harmonium which got very good reviews in Cannes. Likely MoC title for 2017.