Jean Grémillon

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Zazou dans le Metro

#126 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:32 pm

davidhare wrote:Merci zazou! Any release date?
Unfortunately not. This and Golgotha are just listed under Pathé - 'Aucune date communiquée
on dvd.fr

Kinsayder

#127 Post by Kinsayder » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:55 pm

dvd.fr have been listing this title as "announced" for years. See page 3 of this thread.

Zazou dans le Metro

#128 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:52 am

Kinsayder wrote:dvd.fr have been listing this title as "announced" for years. See page 3 of this thread.
Sorry, should have trawled back 2 years to see your post. Still, hope springs eternal.

HerrSchreck

Re: Jean Grémillon

#129 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 pm

Still no streeting of L'Etrange Monsieur Victor?

I found this great attribution to Gremillon, which neatly sums up his aesthetic:
Grémillon rejected what he referred to as "mechanical naturalism" in favor of "the discovery of that subtlety which the human eye does not perceive directly but which must be shown by establishing the harmonies, the unknown relations, between objects and beings; it is a vivifying, inexhaustible source of images that strike our imaginations and enchant our hearts."

Knappen

#130 Post by Knappen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:13 am

No sign of Victor it seems, but given the fact that this is one of the bigger Raimu films it should only be a question of time before they get it out (like the not-so-good transfer of Duvivier's Panique starring Michel Simon that came out last month). Probably a quarrel over money between heirs of the people involved.

HerrSchreck

#131 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:49 pm

The whole Grem situation is maddening, man. It's terrible to be so profoundly whalloped by such films and hafta sit there like a slackjawed retard trying to dope out a word or two for halting fucking gist here & there. Maldone is one thing since there's no staccatto verbiage flying by on the audio track, and you can babelfish the cards for the general idea (and Grem is so atomically gifted the thing hardly needs cards, frankly).

But Dainah, Lise (was watching this last night with eyes welling up... not a common occurrence lemme tell you), Gueule-- so enormously frustrating. It's like somebody is whipping up the most bitching cuisine causing you to salivate all over your dry goods, you got your eyeballs on the pot hanging over the chef's shoulders and the aroma all up your nose driving you into hyperventilation... and the man will only give you a little taste here & there. Pattes Blanche is a rare pleasure in that the vhs dupes floating around are professionally subbed.

I dunno why there's NO Grem with subs in any English speaking market. But I openly plead with CC-- what in fluck's sake are you guy's waiting for? You've obviously picketed the rights down-- USE them. Stop the senseless torment of helpless cineastes! It's got to be about the profoundest, now that Borzage has been released from purgatory, cinematic emergency on deck at present.

Notwithstanding, aside from the raw power of these amazing masterpieces, you have Jean Gabin... instant sell for many. His performance in Gueule D'Amour may be the best of his entire career. Gueule at least, so beautifully restored, a fabulous digibeta collecting dust, s/b a full fledged CC and MoC (collaborate a la Vampyr or overlap, who cares I'll doubledip).

Knappen

#132 Post by Knappen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:52 am

Haha.

Shreck's unsubbed French film marathons.

Actually in the case of Victor some boots circulating have Spanish subs. And there's an American vhs of Lumière d'été.

HerrSchreck

#133 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:13 pm

Huh.. didn't know that.. and of course Pattes Blanche was an Interama vhs from some english region, at least. I was talking strictly DVD.

Actually, after some futzing around, I think you're referring to the French vhs. I can't find reference to a US vhs of this film.

Knappen

#134 Post by Knappen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:35 am

Yeah, come to think of it I was thinking of a thing recorded from Australian television in the 80's.

HerrSchreck

#135 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:54 am

Furthers errors will be dealt with severely, but can be atoned for via unearthing more rare Gremillon.

Knappen

#136 Post by Knappen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:57 pm

HerrSchreck

#137 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:43 pm

First I Image'd.

and then housecleaning Image'd.

Zazou dans le Metro

#138 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:15 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:First I Image'd.

and then I Image'd.
Hey Schrecko..You been taking lessons from Fabrice Luchini?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_3D9xXjqgVs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I tried to find the example in Intimate Strangers that's even better but this will do as a primer)

HerrSchreck

#139 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:33 pm

See that? You embarassed my smiley guy away by associating him with French Comedy, which is never funny (I think there's actually something in the civil code-- Tati was given a rare permit). Now all that remains is someone vaccuuming up the cigaret ashes and confetti from the party..

Zazou dans le Metro

#140 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:31 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:See that? You embarassed my smiley guy away by associating him with French Comedy, which is never funny (I think there's actually something in the civil code-- Tati was given a rare permit). Now all that remains is someone vaccuuming up the cigaret ashes and confetti from the party..
Well rather than jump to the defence of french comedy (I'm no Clarence Darrow ) I was thinking along the lines of 'excruciating' rather than 'funny'.

GringoTex

#141 Post by GringoTex » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:02 pm

You guys have hyped Gremillon so much, I better not be disappointed.

Knappen

#142 Post by Knappen » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:59 am

Bah. We'll start badmouthing him when he becomes available to the masses and start up a French Comedy thread instead.

HerrSchreck

#143 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:11 pm

It's time to start praising Amelie effusively.

Tommaso

#144 Post by Tommaso » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:42 pm

You will begin to love Amelie once you've seen Fanfan....

HerrSchreck

#145 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:13 pm

I can think of more pleasurable forms of self abuse.

Knappen

#146 Post by Knappen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:54 pm

To get back to business:

The Cinémathèque francaise are showing Maldone february 21st and their program is advertising a 102 minutes print. This is 20 minutes more than the Arte rip that I, and probably a lot of you out there, have in my collection. One should never take such information too seriously (hello IMDb!), but I'm anxious to see if there is more material saved from the original three hour version that was cut before commersial screenings of the film. (Unfortunately the can I "found" on the previous page of this thread only contained confined duck)

HerrSchreck

#147 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Keep us posted and well-stocked.

Knappen

#148 Post by Knappen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:11 pm

I'll send some duck for christmas.

Michael

#149 Post by Michael » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:44 am

There are movies that I can get through just fine without needing to know the language. How much French language is essential in following Gueule d'Amour? My French is very slight and would I be able to follow the film without English subs?

HerrSchreck

#150 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Yes. Absolutely-- and if you need help pm me or david.