L'assassino

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: L'Assassino

#26 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Is anyone having trouble playing the blu? My LG had no trouble when I popped in two other B blus (The Killers and Boy Meets Girl) but after a dozen tries switching it to Region B it still gives me the region warning menu.

chatterjees

#27 Post by chatterjees » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:28 pm

My disc is fine. You can turn off the machine and restart by pressing 2 (=B). I have an LG too. I always turn on my LG by pressing 2, not the power button.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#28 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Mine only turns on when I use the power button, but I tried it anyway. No luck that way.

David M.

#29 Post by David M. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:46 pm

That's really weird - there's nothing special about the region locking on that disc. It sound like a glitch in the multiregion playback feature of your player.

easydreamer

#30 Post by easydreamer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:09 am

Some of the Region B discs I tried have the region lock screen in video (the video counter is running when the lock screen is shown). So if I get that region lock screen shown in the region A mode, then switch to the Region B mode, the video resumes from where I left off - the region lock screen. In this case, I just start the disc from the beginning (my Oppo gives the option to resume the video or start from the beginning when the play button is pressed), and the disc starts up fine.

I'm not sure if the L'assassino disc has the same kind of region lock screen, though (hope to get the disc soon)...

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:07 am

antnield

#32 Post by antnield » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:01 pm

MichaelB

L'Assassino

#33 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:30 am

Blu-ray.com:
This very beautiful Blu-ray release of the great Italian director Elio Petri's first feature film, The Assassin, sums up perfectly everything that makes Arrow Video such a special label -- it offers English speakers the opportunity to discover a fantastic but virtually unknown film which no other label would have bothered to release in an English-speaking territory. A great, great release which will appear on my Top 10 list at the end of the year.

olmo

#34 Post by olmo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:27 am

MichaelB wrote:Blu-ray.com:
This very beautiful Blu-ray release of the great Italian director Elio Petri's first feature film, The Assassin, sums up perfectly everything that makes Arrow Video such a special label -- it offers English speakers the opportunity to discover a fantastic but virtually unknown film which no other label would have bothered to release in an English-speaking territory. A great, great release which will appear on my Top 10 list at the end of the year.
Arrow made a sound judgement in retaining the Italian title, The Assassin sounds less inviting and far more trad. It conjures images of the Sly Stallone vehicle. *shudder*

MichaelB

#35 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:34 pm

I honestly don't know where The Assassin came from - it's never been anything other than L'Assassino for the entire period that I worked on the project, and it was also called L'Assassino when it opened theatrically in Britain in 1963. As far as I'm aware, Arrow has never called it anything else.

Saimo

#36 Post by Saimo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:27 pm

A striking debut film. For anyone interested in Elio Petri early works, I also suggest the chapters on Italian nouvelle vague in our recent Titanus book.

ellipsis7

#37 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:58 am

Just to say Saimo, of the two marketplace sellers of your impressive looking Titanus book on Amazon, the publisher Edizioni Sabinae has immediate availability however they only ship within Italy on current settings, while Amazon.it itself estimates shipping within 4-6 weeks & no guarantee of availability even at that stage... Any possibility of rectifying these, I wonder?...

Saimo

#38 Post by Saimo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:02 am

OT: the book is already available in many Italian bookshops, so I don't know why Amazon.it estimates 4-6 weeks. I think they will probably dispatch much earlier...

MichaelB

#39 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:35 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:27 pm

US version coming in April

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: L'assassino

#41 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:17 am

US version calls this film The Assassin, presumably to secure a purchase from that old forum member Trees.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: L'assassino

#42 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 am

Trees' face when he checks the Arrow release