TCM Vault: The Lady From Shanghai

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
kekid

Re: TCM Vault: The Lady From Shanghai

#76 Post by kekid » Thu May 29, 2014 3:09 pm

isakborg wrote:For what it's worth, I just emailed TCM customer service and was emailed back that a new disc of Lady would be the same as the Lady I had received when it was first released. However, since I was asking for an exchange, which would be a cost to TCM, it might very well be that the upgrade is not being advertising. Which would make no sense if so - why would you go to the expense of an upgrade and keep it quiet?
I had the exact same experience today. The woman I spoke to told me that they are the TCM shop, not the TCM network (her words). The description they (the shop) have of this item is exactly identical to what they shipped me, hence I will gain nothing if I were to re-order it. She asked me to try the TCM network, and gave me their number. I am not sure that this is going to resolve the issue.

If anyone finds a way through this mess, please post here, so that the rest of us can know how to get the corrected version. Thank you.

EddieLarkin

#77 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri May 30, 2014 2:35 am

David Hare sent me a PM to advise that he too recently received this in an order from MU and can confirm what the HTF poster has said. New disc, higher bit rate and so on. So despite what TCM and MU reps say, this seems like a safe purchase now, at least from the latter outlet. I never bought this originally and so will bite the bullet myself and place an order. It'll be going back if they send me the old version!

EddieLarkin

#78 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri May 30, 2014 12:28 pm

And now, definitive confirmation that a new disc exists.

Zaki

#79 Post by Zaki » Fri May 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Can anyone tell whether or not the new improvements include SDH?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Hold off on making Movies Unlimited orders until the weekends, as they usually send out coupons and deals in weekend emails. I'll be sure to pass them along in the USA Bargains Thread next time one arrives for those not on the mailing list

kekid

#81 Post by kekid » Sat May 31, 2014 11:42 am

domino harvey wrote:Hold off on making Movies Unlimited orders until the weekends, as they usually send out coupons and deals in weekend emails. I'll be sure to pass them along in the USA Bargains Thread next time one arrives for those not on the mailing list
The Lady from Shanghai is backordered at Movies Unlimited. I hope when it is re-stocked, we have the corrected version.

EddieLarkin

#82 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat May 31, 2014 12:14 pm

What makes you think it's backordered?

rwaits

#83 Post by rwaits » Sat May 31, 2014 1:13 pm

Just got off the phone with TCM and they're not budging on a replacement, or even acknowledging that there is an issue here. Apparently after the initial release, TCM removed the Mueller commentary from the disc's special features description on their website, so the rep basically implied that the disc I have is as-advertised (as we all know they were promoting the Mueller commentary 6 months ago). She said she could not authorize an exchange, and because I'm outside of the 30 day window, I'm pretty much stuck with this disc (which I haven't even opened). Kudos for fixing this release, but this customer service is horrid.

If anyone makes some headway with this situation please keep us posted.

EddieLarkin

#84 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat May 31, 2014 1:29 pm

There is apparently at least one person on TCM's phone line who knows the score.

kekid

#85 Post by kekid » Sat May 31, 2014 2:15 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:What makes you think it's backordered?
I got an e-mail from Movies Unlimited, indicating change of status to backorder.

EddieLarkin

#86 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat May 31, 2014 2:56 pm

I ordered mine about 36 hours ago, and have so far only received my order confirmation. I suppose I either I got one before they ran out, or I'll get the same email you did at some point.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#87 Post by cdnchris » Sat May 31, 2014 5:32 pm

I got a backorder email as well. Ordered it yesterday. I'm assuming they got a bunch of orders all at once.

Feego

#88 Post by Feego » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 pm

According to The Digital Bits, there is now an exchange program in place at TCM:
Finally today, you’ll recall that we told you a couple days about that TCM Shop has put together a new and improved version of The Lady from Shanghai on Blu-ray. Well, the good news is that there’s finally an exchange program for those who have already purchased the previous version. If you call TCM Shop at 888-982-6746 and tell them you’d like to exchange your copy, they’ll mail or e-mail you a prepaid label that will let you send back the old Blu-ray (case, discs and all). TCM will then send you the corrected version in exchange. Note that they’re going to ask you for your original order number, so be sure to have it handy. Thanks to Bits reader John H. for the update.

Max von Mayerling

#89 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Also, the TCM Shop page for the Lady From Shanghai now states "**New Version**" and lists the Eddie Muller Commentary among the features.

EddieLarkin

#90 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:40 pm

I received my new disc from MU. Compare this cap from my disc with this one from the old.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#91 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm not sure one can 100% compare them, but while the compression issues are gone, isn't the new disc much darker ?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#92 Post by Drucker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Honestly, there were some scenes when I saw the restoration in theaters where I was shocked at how dark it was. The silhouetted images of them walking through the aquarium are near-black at points, for example.

pzadvance

#93 Post by pzadvance » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:45 pm

chatterjees

#94 Post by chatterjees » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:34 pm

"Transparent DVD-sized Keep Case inside cardboard slipcase"...when will they ever learn???

EddieLarkin

#95 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:37 pm

The new version is Blu-ray sized.

chatterjees

#96 Post by chatterjees » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:12 pm

So, Gary got a special DVD casing?

EddieLarkin

#97 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:19 am

After watching this disc I can say for certain that something is totally off with the level of darkness. Many of the dark scenes were people are wearing dark coloured suits, there is little detail there, just black blobs. David Hare posted over on HTF about his experience with trying to correct this issue, and found that simply bumping up the brightness was a workable solution. I tried it myself and sure enough those black blobs now reveal real detail, and the disc looks much better (with the already acknowledged superior encoding).

EddieLarkin

#98 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:05 pm

giovannii84

#99 Post by giovannii84 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:10 am

EddieLarkin wrote:Peculiar development.
What are Mill Creek releases like ? I'm not familiar with this label

Zot!

#100 Post by Zot! » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:30 am

giovannii84 wrote: