New Films in Production, v.2

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Ovader

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#76 Post by Ovader » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:26 am

Paul Schrader states on his FB profile he begins principal photography for his next film Dying Of The Light on January 27. Irene Jacob is in the cast.

ianungstad

#77 Post by ianungstad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:07 am

Peter Bogdanovich is shooting a new movie this spring. It's titled One Lucky Moon and the cast includes Burt Reynolds, Cybil Shepherd, Willie Nelson and Tom Petty. The logline sounds loopy but potentially fun:

Peter Bogdanovich will direct “One Lucky Moon”, a Luck Films venture about a small town that’s outfitted as a Westworld-style amusement park, complete with staged shootouts and bank robberies, but it’s running dangerously low on real money. Attendance has been waning, resources are nearly tapped, and the show is about to lose its main act to Vegas. On top of everything else, the horses are sick. Harry Joe Hart, a Dallas Real Estate Mogul, has his sights set on Willow as the prime location for a massive shopping complex. He holds property titles to the surrounding residential area and knows he can make a killing with the mall, but in order to build it he must first tear down the town of Willow. But how does he get rid of those pesky thespians?

pzadvance

#81 Post by pzadvance » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 pm

warren oates

#82 Post by warren oates » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Forthcoming from Werner Herzog: An adaptation of a violent Booker winner, starring, among others, Russell Brand, Pamela Anderson and Mike Tyson. Ample evidence that Herzog means what he says when he opines that "one must not look away" from the vulgarity of mass culture. Here's hoping they won't need to rename this one Worse Lieutenant.

FerdinandGriffon

#83 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:35 pm

warren oates wrote:Forthcoming from Werner Herzog: An adaptation of a violent Booker winner, starring, among others, Russell Brand, Pamela Anderson and Mike Tyson. Ample evidence that Herzog means what he says when he opines that "one must not look away" from the vulgarity of mass culture. Here's hoping they won't need to rename this one Worse Lieutenant.
Too bad the book is beyond execrable. The laziest, dullest, and loudest satire of American culture imaginable.

warren oates

#84 Post by warren oates » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:44 pm

Ha! That's exactly what the literary blog I first read this in said. Then again, they also noted that bad books sometimes make good movies. And Herzog has never been particularly respectful of any text. Though the listed screenwriter is Andrew Birkin (brother of Jane, uncle of Charlotte Gainsbourg), who adapted and directed the excellent, underrated film of The Cement Garden.

Sonmi451

#85 Post by Sonmi451 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 am

Fairly old news now, but in case you missed it, Colin Farrel and Rachel Weisz have been cast in Yorgos Lanthimos' new project, The Lobster. Great, so my favorite young director casts perhaps my least favorite male actor.

FrauBlucher

#86 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:12 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#87 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#88 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Jack Black to star [as R.L. Stine?] in very meta in-production Goosebumps movie

Not that I can think of anyone on this forum who might be remotely interested by this news...

Cold Bishop

#89 Post by Cold Bishop » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:33 am

Ringo Lam is back in what is the first of two potential movies, and the as-of-now secretive project has a title (in Chinese, at least).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3602278/reference
http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/ringo-lam- ... ction-film

Along with John Woo and Tsui Hark considering teaming up again and, based on Woo's nostalgic comments, possibly making another "Heroic Bloodshed" film, it's beginning to feel like '89 in here.

feihong

#90 Post by feihong » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Wow! What has Ringo Lam been doing for the last 10 years?

I actually liked his section of Triangle the most of the three--it seemed like a sneak-peek at a kind of masterful, mature Ringo. But when no films were forthcoming, it felt as if that what seemed to be an increased subtlety in his filmic style was never going to get further explored. Hopefully now we get to see some of that.

Has Ringo been directing TV? Commercials?

dwk

#91 Post by dwk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:19 pm

criterion10

#92 Post by criterion10 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Holy moly! Never thought this would happen; the surprising news has easily been the highlight of my day. The original is a huge cult favorite of mine [I even like the fourth one, and the second one isn't terrible either (although the third one certainly is)]. I've long been hoping for a proper conclusion to the series... Let's hope this turns out to be the case.

Edit: Upon some further research, it seems that Coscarelli did not direct nor write this sequel (although he does have some involvement). An epic buzz kill, if you ask me...

Cold Bishop

#93 Post by Cold Bishop » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:03 pm

feihong wrote:Has Ringo been directing TV? Commercials?
I don't think he's been involved in filmmaking at all. He seems to be one of the last of his pre-'97 peers in refusing to make Mainland co-productions. The recent revival of genuine Hong Kong productions probably goes a long way in explaining why he chose to do this now, although he's supposedly been planning projects and working on screenplays since at least 2011.

The thing about Lam is that while, yes, he did a couple of questionable Van Damme films, people forget that he still worked in Hong Kong and made a few films among his best, so its never been a case of him losing his touch. It's also easy to overlook that he is the exact same age as Johnnie To (who's a close friend), which kind of makes you wonder what decade Lam could have had during the naughts had he been working steadily.

Now if only Kirk Wong could get a project off the ground...

feihong

#94 Post by feihong » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:45 am

My favorite of Lam's films is Victim, which does come right in there during the Van Damme era. The interest in a morbid past that worked in uncanny ways upon a contemporary situation was something Ringo carried over from this film into Triangle. If anything, these films felt like a development of greater subtlety and sophistication on Ringo's part. To me that made his decade MIA more unexpected and odd.

FrauBlucher

#97 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon May 19, 2014 8:19 pm

ianungstad

#98 Post by ianungstad » Thu May 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Roman Polanski's D. which has been in the works since 2012 shoots this January. Cast is being kept under wraps. Sounds like another French language film.

The Dreyfus Affair is considered one of the most sensational political scandals in history and an enormous miscarriage of justice. In December 1894, Captain Alfred Dreyfus -- one of the few Jewish officers on the general staff of the French Army -- was subjected to a secret court martial after being accused of passing secrets to the Germans.

Dreyfus was sentenced to life imprisonment and sent to Devil's Island. However, Col. Georges Picquart gradually began to realize that the real traitor was still at large. His efforts to prove his theory caused him to clash with his superiors, and Picquart was framed for crimes he did not commit.

As for Dreyfus, he was eventually was cleared of all charges, but it took 12 years.

Olivier Assayas is also shooting another indie Hollywood film this fall with Robert Pattinson in the cast. Idol's Eye. Logline:

Follows the true story of the burglary that took place at the home of Chicago mob boss Tony Accardo in the late 1970s, and the eighteen people that were murdered later either as retribution or to cover up the murders of the suspects.

colinr0380

#99 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:44 pm

If you want another version of the Dreyfus Affair, it is also the subject of Ken Russell's 1991 TV movie Prisoner of Honor.