The Walking Dead

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Bill Thompson

Re: The Walking Dead

#51 Post by Bill Thompson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 am

I didn't think it was stereotypical at all.
SpoilerShow
One just found out something terrible about her daughter, and honestly an emotionally dead reaction like hers is pretty common in that situation. It was also contracted nicely with Darrell's reaction of outrage and finally stoic hate. The only other real female reactions on the show are both extensions of what those characters have always been doing, and they didn't show emotion, but common sense in the form of trying to get the men in their lives to do the right thing. The accident that Lori had wasn't due to emotion, but doing a typically non-gender thing of not paying attention to the road. Overall I thought it was a great episode, with a slow burn that ended in a great payoff.

Murdoch

#52 Post by Murdoch » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:33 pm

oldsheperd

#53 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Murdoch wrote:Image
Pretty much. I think the show missed the zombie craze by a few years.

dx23

#54 Post by dx23 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 pm

The comic is the same way so I'm not surprised that the show follows a similar path. Still, so far the episodes of season 3 have blown away the incredibly slow pace of season 2.

colinr0380

#55 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 am

On a tangent has anyone else been playing the episodic Walking Dead game by Telltale? Four out of the full five episodes have been released so far and it takes an approach of giving you choices and branching the narrative (albeit in a limited manner) off in different directions depending on who you choose to save or let die, or what you decide to do in a crisis situation such as letting someone die by being ripped apart by zombies keeping your presence low, or mercy kill the character which has the unfortunate consequence of alerting the zombies to your position (it then keeps track of your choices and gives you a tally on how many other players chose the same thing, or differently, in each situation).

Despite the second episode having an over familiar premise that was immediately obvious (one which involves reaching a seemingly idyllic farmhouse with an injured member of the party who the characters entrust into the care of the well fed matriarch, with everyone then being surprised when he goes missing. Only thinking to ask questions during the banquet meal that has been prepared!) most of the material has played in a commendably low key manner, especially the parts on and around the train in episode three (where one of the choices simply involves breaking the news to the girl that you are protecting that you need to cut her long hair to make her less easy to grab in the event of a zombie attack!)

It is currently performing the almost impossible feat of making Quick Time Events relevant and non-annoying! I've never actually read any of the comics or watched any of the show so it is difficult to really compare it, although from what I hear this is in the same art style as the comics and has more of a tangential plot with mostly different characters from the series:
SpoilerShow
However one of the characters that you sympathise with at first and who then commits some terrible deeds out of grief and anger in episode three, with a big choice being whether to kill her or let her escape from mob justice (I let her escape in the group's min-van, leaving us to desperately try and get the train going), apparently turns up later on in the TV series to kill a few beloved characters in that other group.
There's one more episode to go, so it could all fall apart still, but it is excellent so far, with the format really capturing that episodic novel quality that Stephen King tried to capture with the multi-part release of The Green Mile over five months.

colinr0380

#56 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:49 pm

If anyone is interested in the Walking Dead game (with its shattering conclusion which really explores the limits of interactivity in gaming in an interesting way, removing choice and functions away from the player until you get to "Press X to futilely rattle the bars of the locked gate in a vain attempt to save another character" kinds of situations) but have not played it yet, you might be interested to watch through this series where the Twenty Sided team play through and comment on the first episode.

dx23

#57 Post by dx23 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:43 pm

The Walking Dead has been renewed for a 4th season but Glenn Mazzara is out of the show as the creative force, in a move similar to what happen with Darabont.

On a side note, the Walking Dead game app is free right now for iPad users.

dx23

#58 Post by dx23 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:41 pm