TCM Vault Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Dirk

Re: TCM Vault Collection

#201 Post by Dirk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:31 pm

It seems that there's some release date shuffling going on again, this time with the Capra set. TCM's shop says it's now coming out on Sept. 27; Movies Unlimited is saying Oct. 6.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#202 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:58 pm

perkizitore wrote:I just got my Film Noir Collection Vol. 3 from Movies Unlimited and only My Name is Julia Ross is a DVDR, all the other discs seem factory pressed.
Which is a scary idea indeed because the idea being floated around was that maybe it was only the Universal titles that would eventually go DVD-R

Props55

#203 Post by Props55 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:52 pm

And even scarier is the possibility that you'll get a mixture of pressed/burned media within one set! :x

triodelover

#204 Post by triodelover » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Dirk wrote:It seems that there's some release date shuffling going on again, this time with the Capra set. TCM's shop says it's now coming out on Sept. 27; Movies Unlimited is saying Oct. 6.
If you are talking about the Early Collection, I've had mine a week or more. All pressed DVDs and so far exceeding my expectations for both PQ and audio. Have watched Forbidden and Ladies of Leisure and watching The Bitter Tea of General Yen now. I had been getting by with a download of Yen that was a VHS rip. This is a great leap forward.

Dirk

#205 Post by Dirk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:24 pm

To be fair, I haven't ordered the set yet, so I was going off of what the website listing says. I've been waiting for the next time TCM offers a code for 20 percent off. Found out with the last one a few weeks ago that the codes no longer include preorders.

triodelover

#206 Post by triodelover » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Dirk wrote:To be fair, I haven't ordered the set yet, so I was going off of what the website listing says. I've been waiting for the next time TCM offers a code for 20 percent off. Found out with the last one a few weeks ago that the codes no longer include preorders.
I preordered when the set was first mentioned here and got my shipping notice on the 4th, which was the release date when I placed the order. If there's a problem with the set that would have delayed further shipments, I haven't found it yet, but I have two films to go. maybe they got a larger preorder response than anticipated, though I'll admit that seems a stretch.

Max von Mayerling

#207 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Odd that you have your set in hand (but glad to hear you are happy with it). I received the following email from TCM on September 7:

Dear TCM Patron,
Thank you for your recent order of Frank Capra: The Early Collection. Due to a printing error, TCM has delayed the release date of the collection. There is a reprint in progress and the new expected availability date is September 27, 2012. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience in this matter.
Please be assured that your credit card will not be charged until the item has physically shipped from our warehouse.
We thank you once again for your continued support of the TCM Vault Collection.

Sincerely,

Turner Classic Movies

knives

#208 Post by knives » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:10 pm

Sounds like a typo on the packaging.

Dirk

#209 Post by Dirk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Which is exactly what happened with the Columbia Noir III set. I think that set had an incorrect film description on the inner packaging.

Ashirg

#210 Post by Ashirg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Eddie Muller reports in Back Alley Noir forum -
The Glass Key and The Blue Dahlia will probably be out before the end of 2012, produced by Universal, packaged and distributed by Turner Classic Movies.

triodelover

#211 Post by triodelover » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:14 am

Just checked to see that the last two discs were in fact the films they should be (they are). The only thing I can find is some incomplete descriptions of some extras on one flap of the digipack, the worst of which leaves off Ron Howard's name on one of the Yen extras and Jeanine Basinger's last name on Forbidden. Credit where credit's due and all that.

Ashirg

#212 Post by Ashirg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:15 pm

TCM Vault goes blu with a release of Blu-ray/DVD Combo of the new restoration of The Iron Petticoat on November 19:
"The Turner Classic Movies Vault Collection presents THE IRON PETTICOAT in a Two-Disc BluRay/DVD Combo Edition.

Bob Hope and Katharine Hepburn - two of Hollywood’s biggest stars – appear together for the first and only time in one of the most unlikely pairings in the history of movies. A charming Cold War romance and political satire in the tradition of Ninotchka, this comic battle of the sexes pits a defecting Soviet jet pilot (Hepburn) against a U.S. army captain (Hope) who is charged with turning a diehard communist into a patriotic capitalist.

The Iron Petticoat (1956), has not been seen since 1966 and has been completely restored and remastered for this Blu-ray/DVD release.

McCrutchy

#213 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:21 am

Regarding The Iron Petticoat, do we know if this release will used pressed media, recordable media, or any combination of the two?

captveg

#214 Post by captveg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:01 pm

The Blu-ray will most definitely be pressed. BD-Rs are far too problematic compatibility-wise to use for a retail release.

Max von Mayerling

#215 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:14 pm

Two new TCM Vault pre-orders: Universal "Dark Crimes" (Noir) & a Carole Lombard set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#216 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Looks like Dark Crimes contains The Glass Key, Phantom Lady, and The Blue Dahlia, while the Lombard set has No More Orchids, Brief Moment, and Lady by Choice.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#217 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Dirk

#218 Post by Dirk » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 pm

That image isn't loading properly (at least on my computer). Did you mean to link to this?

knives

#219 Post by knives » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 pm

That is indeed what he linked to. It should be worth it for the curious just for the Sturges film.

warren oates

#220 Post by warren oates » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:51 pm

knives wrote:That is indeed what he linked to. It should be worth it for the curious just for the Sturges film.
Agreed. Backlash is underrated and full of nicely staged set pieces. Sturges really could direct the heck out of widescreen. What about the Boetticher? Is it in the same league as the Ranown films? Is it better than Westbound?

Max von Mayerling

#221 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:30 am

TCM is now listing a "Glenn Ford - Undercover Crimes" set for March.

kingofthejungle

#222 Post by kingofthejungle » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:37 pm

warren oates wrote:
knives wrote:That is indeed what he linked to. It should be worth it for the curious just for the Sturges film.
Agreed. Backlash is underrated and full of nicely staged set pieces. Sturges really could direct the heck out of widescreen. What about the Boetticher? Is it in the same league as the Ranown films? Is it better than Westbound?
Boetticher's Horizons West is an interesting picture. Technically speaking, it's kind of creaky (in the same league as Seminole) -- but it's a fun little picture, and Robert Ryan gives a hell of a good performance. I'm looking forward to owning a copy, but it certainly won't get played as often as his Ranown films.

Dirk

#223 Post by Dirk » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Max von Mayerling wrote:TCM is now listing a "Glenn Ford - Undercover Crimes" set for March.
Does anyone recommend any of these films? Link here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#224 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:23 pm

It's basically yet another Noir set, and godblessit

Noiradelic

#225 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Joseph H. Lewis directed The Undercover Man, though I haven't seen it.