Code Red

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
hammock

Code Red

#1 Post by hammock » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:33 pm

I checked the list twice but could not find Code Red anywhere!?

Their site: http://www.codereddvd.com/
Entire catalog listed with covers, releasedates, synopsis and UPC at Criterion Dungeon: http://criterion.mono.net/18589/Code%20Red
Stay tuned with new releases from Code Red (and many other great boutique labels) by liking us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CriterionD

knives

Re: Code Red

#2 Post by knives » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:01 pm

So, of the eight or so versions on the Nightmare disc which is the best one to go with (also I feel jipped that the second disc is a completely unprofessional looking DVDR

cinemartin

#3 Post by cinemartin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:07 pm

It's not actually a dvd-r, it's just made to look like a bootleg, no? I could be wrong, but I though that was it. And that disc, incidentally, is the one to go with.

knives

#4 Post by knives » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Hmm, you're right. I wonder why they would do the art in that style?

cinemartin

#5 Post by cinemartin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Yeah, kind of a pointless choice - one that creates unnecessary confusion. But if I remember it correctly, that disc has the 2011 telecine transfer, so maybe it was just a quick and cheap, "cleverish" choice.

Koukol

#7 Post by Koukol » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm

knives wrote:Hmm, you're right. I wonder why they would do the art in that style?
CodeReds owner, Bill, has an unique sense of humor.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Also, before you pay ridic third-hand market prices for the OOP Code Red DVDs, double-check with Code Red's Big Cartel page where he sells what remains of his stock directly (all pressed, no DVD-Rs)

Props55

#9 Post by Props55 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Unfortunately it appears he's out of stock on TRAPPED (aka CHATWILL'S VERDICT aka BAKER COUNTY USA) directed by William Fruet (WEDDING IN WHITE) and photographed by Mark Irwin. Luckily I scored at least one copy for my personal archive (and can now shitcan the dupey, smeary VHS dubdown of an equally crappy 3/4 master) but the price on this one has shot into the stratisphere in third party land. FULL DISCLOSURE: This was my first film in a craft position (as opposed to PA) and I've rarely had more pure, cinematic slumming fun. If you can imagine a combination of DEATH WISH, STRAW DOGS, MACON COUNTY LINE and DELIVERANCE rolled into one great satisfying drive-in flick with a kick-ass finale and one artfully foreshadowed death gag then this is it.

I'd also highly recommend THE VISITOR (still available) which was one of many spectacularly cheesy Italian horror/sci-fi films to be shot in Georgia in the late '70s. Any film with John Huston as an intergalatic Moses (with a small army of bald minions), Glenn Ford as a harried homicide detective attacked by a hawk in the front seat of a police cruiser (trained by no less than Ray Berwick!), Sam Peckinpah as an sympathetic abortionist(!), Franco Nero as Christ (!!!) and an 18-wheeler version of the Mothership from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS as realized by special effects master Bob Shelley must be seen to be believed!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:29 pm

Code Red's first Blu-ray titles available for order now (they're en route to the head honcho now): Fulci's Voices from Beyond and 80s slasher Just Before Dawn

manicsounds

#11 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:02 am

If those blurays listings of special features are complete, then Code Red is really scaling back on bonus materials. Almost barebones.

Grand Wazoo

#12 Post by Grand Wazoo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Apparently Code Red is releasing four William Mishkin produced Andy Milligan films with the goal being Blurays if the transfers are up to snuff. Included are:

Torture Dungeon
The Rats Are Coming, The Werewolves Are Here
The Man With Two Heads
Bloodthirsty Butchers

Grand Wazoo

#14 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:22 pm

Pre-orders are up on the Big Cartel store for a bunch of limited blurays:

The Redeemer: Son of Satan (limited 1,000)
Nail Gun Massacre (limited 1,000)
Savage Streets (limited 1,000)
Mary Mary Bloody Mary (limited 1,000)
Neon Maniacs (limited 1,200)

AlexHansen

#15 Post by AlexHansen » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:39 am

Is Mary Mary Bloody Mary anywhere near as good as it sounds?

Grand Wazoo

#16 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:05 am

The infamous OOP Nightmare dvd is back in stock, though on facebook Code Red made clear that a blu is forthcoming as well.

manicsounds

#17 Post by manicsounds » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:19 am

The Code Red guy really just wants to sound like a pretentious ass even in the product description. "Nightmare" is also the infamous DVD with the 95-minute Italian interview that they forgot to subtitle in English...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:03 am

Forty dollars with shipping goes down even sweeter with insults and intimations of everyone else's idiocy

Grand Wazoo

#19 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:09 am

I really like a lot of the product he (Bill Olsen) puts out but he seems to do everything in his power to undermine his business with exploits like that and bizarre rants on various social media sites. Who in the world insults buyers in a product description? What benefit could that bring?

And yeah, Nightmare has the unsubbed interview and 2nd disc that looks like a DVD-R yet is pressed. I wonder if this will carry over into the blu release. I hope he at least translates that interview.

med

#20 Post by med » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Never sold 100,000 people was boasting it will sell.
Well, I'm glad he wasn't able to hit his goal in human trafficking.

That's what he's talking about, right?

Adam X

#21 Post by Adam X » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Grand Wazoo wrote:I really like a lot of the product he (Bill Olsen) puts out but he seems to do everything in his power to undermine his business with exploits like that and bizarre rants on various social media sites. Who in the world insults buyers in a product description? What benefit could that bring?

And yeah, Nightmare has the unsubbed interview and 2nd disc that looks like a DVD-R yet is pressed. I wonder if this will carry over into the blu release. I hope he at least translates that interview.
It's quite something he manages to blame the customer for his releasing the interview unsubbed, when for all the discussion online it would appear the reason was the cost wasn't justifiable for the subtitling at the time.

It's been mentioned that the interview will be subbed on the BD. Or possibly there's a new interview with the director included. Or maybe both, what I read was a little unclear. The subbed interview was posted in full on YouTube a while back, not sure if it's been pulled or not.

Anthony Thorne

#22 Post by Anthony Thorne » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:12 am

for all the discussion online it would appear the reason was the cost wasn't justifiable for the subtitling at the time
The entire NIGHTMARE interview was subbed for Bill for free at the time - and Bill was quite aware of this - by an enterprising UK-based translator who remains active in both the commercial and fan subtitling fields. It never appeared on the final disc as Bill then bizarrely ignored numerous repeated emails from that same translator once the job had been done, eventually leading the UK translator to give up in disgust and scrap all the work he'd done for free.

Orlac

#23 Post by Orlac » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:13 am

I quite like the films Code Red releases, but the owner is a wacko. Often the covers and menus trash the films before you even watch them - the low point being the Cinema Toilet menu for the fairly decent Italian flick The Night Child.

Perkins Cobb

#24 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Well, sure, the guy is a whackjob, but you kind of have to be to keep running a one-man indie label these days. And at least he does (mostly) professional quality work, unlike "real" companies like VCI or Pathfinder.

It's galling to have to buy discs off his website with no discounts and a HUGE markup but, on the other hand, so many of them have gone expensively OOP that I've at least made my money back, and maybe a small profit, by reselling some. Although that seems to have leveled off somewhat, now that the newer releases have a habit of reappearing on his website after being unavailable for a while.

EddieLarkin

#25 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:00 am

The Nightmare Blu-ray is now available from Code Red's ebay store.

It will apparently be cheaper when it's up on the Code Red shop, which is down until the end of this month.