Manoel de Oliveira on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
cinemaguild

Re: Manoel de Oliveira on DVD

#126 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:27 am

Manoel de Oliveira's latest film, THE STRANGE CASE OF ANGELICA, will open in New York on December 29 at the IFC Center. It'll play around the country throughout the winter and spring.

Here's the theatrical poster:

You can see the trailer here.

Thanks!

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#127 Post by ola t » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Portuguese Fnac now have a listing for the Aniki Bóbó DVD, with not only Douro, Faina Fluvial but also Famalicão (1941) included, and with English and French subtitles. The DVD is not actually available yet, though -- not even for pre-order.

Fiery Angel

#128 Post by Fiery Angel » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Museum of the Moving Image in Queens celebrates its grand re-opening in January with many screenings, including "a rare screening of Manoel de Oliveira’s five-hour masterpiece Doomed Love in a restored print."

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#129 Post by ola t » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

Ordered and received the Aniki Bóbó DVD. Quality looks excellent at first (very quick) glance. Perhaps it's worth mentioning that only the feature itself has English subtitles -- none of the extras do, although Douro, Faina Fluvial doesn't need them since it is silent and title-less (except for one introductory title which I think only appears in one of the three versions).

John Cope

#130 Post by John Cope » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:02 pm

An excellent close reading and systematic analysis of Oliveira's classic early short film, A Caca (The Hunt). The short film itself is available via this page or Vimeo direct with either embedded subs or sub files easily available elsewhere if you know where to look, which, it goes without saying, is well worth doing.

zedz

#131 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:04 pm

I should mention here that the BluRay of The Strange Case of Angelica is easily one of the releases of the year. Superb transfer and a Criterion-level extras package (and by that I mean proper Criterion, not just 'Criterion of 2011'), with all of the extras illuminating different aspects of the feature. Particularly valuable is the passage in the fine Cineastes de notre temps episode from the 90s in which de Oliveira outlines the story for Angelica (which he'd been planning to make for decades) and reveals its basis in his own experience: a fantastic window into artistic inspiration.

Also, coming back to Angelica after making my way through that massive '100 Years' box set, I'm convinced that it's one of the director's greatest films.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#132 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:30 pm

The Angelica set also has an utterly ravishing transfer of de Oliveira's very first film -- which I liked even more than Angelica (which I liked a whole lot, mind you).

knives

#133 Post by knives » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:44 pm

zedz wrote: Also, coming back to Angelica after making my way through that massive '100 Years' box set, I'm convinced that it's one of the director's greatest films.
Admittedly I've seen a paltry seven but I surely agree with you on this. I also love in regards to the Blu how Cinema Guild seemed to be working the extras around a thesis, so of like how did he get here. The inclusion of the first film of course indicates this, but even the commentary seems to explore what in Oliveira's life made him go from this silent proto-realist to whatever you want to call his recent work. It's a wonderful way to build a DVD and I hope that more are built like this.

Stefan Andersson

#134 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:15 am

Oliveira´s Le soulier de satin has been announced for DVD release Marc 6 in France. 410 minutes, 4:3 format, no English subs. The screenplay, as published in the Avant-Scène du Cinema magazine, is included in PDF form. More info in French here.

whaleallright

#135 Post by whaleallright » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Wow, I remember Paolo Branco's company, once upon a time, promising THE SATIN SLIPPER would be released in 2005 (!). All things in good time

Stefan Andersson

#136 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:17 am

Oliveira´s Amor Perdicao will be released on DVD in Portugal later in the year, along with earlier versions (1943, 1921), following a few 35mm showings scheduled for March, April and November. This is one of the tie-ins (the others are non-cinema-related) with the 150th anniversary of the novel "Amor Perdicao", and a book, "Memories of Prison", both by Camilo Castelo Branco.

On April 1, Oliveira will attend a theatrical showing of Amor Perdicao in Guimaraes, European Capital of Culture 2012. Showings in Guimaraes will include both the TV version and the reedited cinema version, using different takes. Sounds like this film is now receiving serious rerelease treatment.

All according to recent online info in Portuguese.

BTW, I just saw a photo of Oliveira receiving his latest honorary doctorate. He looked as fit as ever.
Last edited by Stefan Andersson on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

knives

#137 Post by knives » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:07 pm

Please update if you find out there are English subs on the disc. Thanks greatly.

Stefan Andersson

#138 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:18 am

Oliveira will shoot his contribution to the Guimaraes anthology film Histories of Cinema on April 23-28. Casting call is out for extras, 16-75 years old, of various nationalities.

No shooting dates fixed yet for Oliveira´s upcoming feature project A Igreja do Diabo (The Church of the Devil) according to a Brazilian online article (March 28).

According to Portugese TV news from Guimaraes, Oliveira is working a project in Brazil (Igreja I assume) and another, unnamed, in Spain (perhaps the documentary on the architect Álvaro Siza mentioned in El Pais last year).

Stefan Andersson

#139 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat May 26, 2012 11:04 am

Oliveira is now shooting his part of the anthology film in Guimaraes. It´s supposed to run 20 minutes in the finished film. The story concerns a conquistador visiting the city and meeting a tourist guide (Ricardo Trepa).

Brief info in Portuguese plus a few on location photos here:
http://www.guimaraesdigital.com/index.p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... s&id=48514
http://radiofundacao.net/informacao/cul ... -guimaraes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite a few lively photos here, with Oliveira looking spry as usual:
http://www.guimaraes2012.pt/index.php?cat=48&item=42822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief on location video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGRTm79vx6w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The April dates I mentioned above must have been for the casting call only.

Preparing this shoot must have been at least one cause as to Oliveira not making a personal appearance at Cannes this year.
Last edited by Stefan Andersson on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan Andersson

#140 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 am

Oliveira´s new French-language film Gebo et l´ombre now scheduled for the Venice Film Festival according to online Italian and Portuguese press releases, for example this one:
http://cinesplendor.com.br/novo-longa-m ... ro-poster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frances

#141 Post by Frances » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Pics taken today at portuguese Fnac - http://www.fnac.pt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#142 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Did you buy the last copy? The fuckers have it as 'Indisponivel' on the website

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#143 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:53 pm

They probably ran out of dildo boxes to ship it in

Frances

#144 Post by Frances » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:22 pm

I didn't buy it, not that interested. It was the only copy.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#145 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Maybe you should have snapped it up, if for nothing else than to turn a trick. It's going for double that amount elsewhere.

zedz

#146 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:15 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Did you buy the last copy? The fuckers have it as 'Indisponivel' on the website
It has been "indisponivel" on its website for a very long time - until it isn't. I had to wait patiently for more than a year, checking back every so often until I found it available, then I pounced (sometime last year). So don't give up hope.

Frances

#147 Post by Frances » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:39 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Maybe you should have snapped it up, if for nothing else than to turn a trick. It's going for double that amount elsewhere.
I don't have €150 to spare like that ;)

But if anyone wants it, i can help.

Stefan Andersson

#148 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:40 am

Trailer for Gebo et l´ombre: http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/trailer- ... the-shadow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
French dialogue, Portuguese subtitles. Portuguese actors seem dubbed into French. Trailer music excerpted from Violin Concerto in D Minor, op. 47, by Finnish composer Jean Sibelius. Music in the film is composed by Shostakovitch and Busoni (probably the Italian Ferruccio Busoni) according to this early French review:
http://www.avoir-alire.com/gebo-et-l-ombre-la-critique" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stills gallery (almost similar to trailer): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ID2ZDKWoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The film will be previewed Sept. 6, at the Cinematheque Francaise, attended by Oliveira and several cast members, as kickoff for an Oliveira retrospective. Program in French: http://www.cinematheque.fr/data/museo/c ... 000297.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regular opening in Paris Sept. 27 (distr. Epicentre Films) and Sept. 27 in Portugal (distr. ZON Audiovisual, Lusomundo).

In July, MO spent around a week in hospital in Oporto for a respiratory infection and heart failure. He was discharged on doctors´ orders to return to hospital for fysiotherapy sessions. He expects to get back to work shooting A Igreja do Diabo (The Devil´s Church) in Brazil.

John Cope

#149 Post by John Cope » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:23 pm

Someone put up all of Satin Slipper (with English subs) in three parts on YouTube right prior to its re-unveiling at the NYFF. Not an ideal way to see it, of course, but if you can't attend the fest and have no other recourse (and there aren't many others yet) it will suffice. Just prepare yourself for the duration and the demands.

knives

#150 Post by knives » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks, I wish more of his older films were available.