New Australian DVD and BD Releases

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
charal

Re: New R4 Australian Titles

#1151 Post by charal » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:14 am

The R4 HAIL MARY DVD transfer looks as good as the other films from the same period available on the Universal label. The only minus is that the subs are in bright yellow. If you found it at a low price (as I did last year) then get it.

Perkins Cobb

#1152 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:02 am

Gillian Armstrong's High Tide out on DVD from Umbrella this week. Its debut in any region, I believe, and I've been eager to give it a look.

John Edmond

#1153 Post by John Edmond » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:00 pm

I have to say the Australian Border's current DVD sale is worth a look at - all stocked dvds (two disks or less) are $10 or 3 for $25. Walked in to pass time, and came out with 24 DVDS (aka pretty much MADMAN/UMBRELLA dvd I had ever considered purchasing). Considering they also gave me $30 worth of vouchers as a thank you gift it came out at around $7 a DVD - when most had a RRP between $35 and $40.

mrmarbach

#1154 Post by mrmarbach » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:01 pm

zedz wrote:If you're interested in Greenaway, The Tulse Luper Suitcases is, as far as I know, only available in Australia. The films are a mixed bag, but it's a good quality release.

The Australian edition of Mizoguchi's The Loyal 47 Ronin is the best English-friendly version around, and the huge Herzog documentary box is also essential (and not available retail anywhere else, to the best of my knowledge).
Thanks for the tips. I picked up the Greenaway box set (A$69) which I look forward to - was big into Greenaway when I was at college, and curious what I make of him now. Tulse Luper I haven't found in a store yet (JB said they had 30 copies in stock for the whole of Australia).

Picked up 47 Ronin. It'll be my first Mizoguchi: is it actually the best place to start?
charal wrote:The R4 HAIL MARY DVD transfer looks as good as the other films from the same period available on the Universal label. The only minus is that the subs are in bright yellow. If you found it at a low price (as I did last year) then get it.
Thanks. I picked it up for A$10, will probably watch on hotel tv tonight.

GaryC

#1155 Post by GaryC » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:36 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:Gillian Armstrong's High Tide out on DVD from Umbrella this week. Its debut in any region, I believe, and I've been eager to give it a look.
I saw that on its UK cinema release over twenty years ago, and I remember it being very good. A notable early role for Claudia Karvan (14 at the time), though not her debut as her IMDB bio claims.

zedz

#1156 Post by zedz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:05 pm

mrmarbach wrote:Picked up 47 Ronin. It'll be my first Mizoguchi: is it actually the best place to start?
Almost certainly not, but the best starting points (Ugetsu and Sansho) are readily available in various regions. I'd recommend at least renting one of those first.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1157 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:20 pm

I actually think the Eclipse Mizoguchi box set is a better place to start -- as these films are more representative of his overall body of work -- Ugetsu and Sansho (and 47 Ronin) are all fairly atypical.

That said -- as long as one doesn't write off Mizoguchi on the basis of 47 Ronin (without exploring his work further), I don't see much harm. ;~}

mrmarbach

#1158 Post by mrmarbach » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:01 pm

I watched the whole of 47 Ronin last night and loved it. It makes such inexorable progress, and the way he sustains it for the final hour or so, even after it is clear they are all going to be ordered to commit Harakiri, is very impressive. I'd have had a slightly easier time if the image had been better, but hey.

I was thinking of getting one of the MoC double-packs as I am mainly R2. But the Eclipse box would be possible too.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1159 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:30 pm

No overlap between the Eclipse box set and the MOC Mizoguchi sets.

While I'm at it, let me shill for my favorite Mizoguchi film -- Chikamatsu monogatari (Crucified Lovers). ;~}

I was dubious about 47 Ronin before watching it -- but found it mostly quite powerful. I've now seen other versions (older and newer), and find Mizoguchi's the most impressive.

zedz

#1160 Post by zedz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:56 pm

The MoC Mizoguchis are a wonderful group of releases. If I were you I'd wait for the soon-to-be-released box gathering them all together. This will likely be the most economic way of getting an instant Mizoguchi collection.

marnum

#1161 Post by marnum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:17 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:No overlap between the Eclipse box set and the MOC Mizoguchi sets.
Akasen Chitai (Street of Shame) being an exception.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1162 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:39 am

> Akasen Chitai (Street of Shame) being an exception.

Oops -- forgot that.

Finch

#1163 Post by Finch » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:48 pm

Madman have Hitch's The Lodger in their January lineup.
Original Score (mono)
New 1999 score composed by Ashley Irwin
Alfred Hitchcock's 1940 radio play of The Lodger
Alfred Hitchcock’s 1927 thriller DOWNHILL / WHEN BOYS LEAVE HOME
A booklet containing The Lodger - A Story of the London Fog: Hitchcock making cinema by Dr Brian McFarlane, Adjunct Associate Professor, School of English, Communication & Performance Studies, Monash University; and Alfred Hitchcock's The Lodger: A Theory (or two) by Ken Mogg, author of several works about Hitchcock including The Alfred Hitchcock Story
Madman also confirmed that their Dead Man (Jarmusch) Blu-Ray will now be released in March 2011 instead.

Perkins Cobb

#1164 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:13 am

I am considerably less delighted than I originally was with my score during the recent Madman sale, now that I realize the following films in their Screen Icons Collections are English dubs without the original French soundtracks as an option: A Woman at Her Window (in the Romy Schneider set), Weekend at Dunkirk (in the Belmondo #1 set), and La Scoumoune (in the Belmondo #2 set). This information is not clearly conveyed on Madman's website. On the plus side, if you don't share my allergy for bad dubbing, you'll find these all on offer in the trade forum very soon.

Also, their standalone disc of La Scopone Scientifico is also an unusually poor transfer -- it's derived from a battered and very faded theatrical print. Far below the standards of most of the Studio Canal fare that's popped up in various regions; I'm guessing these problems are why all of these haven't surfaced anywhere outside of Australia. A shame, since the Comencini is a terrific film.

GaryC

#1165 Post by GaryC » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:18 pm

I don't think it's been mentioned before, but Michael Thornhill's 1974 film Between Wars is released on 12 January by Umbrella. It's also an early DOP credit for Russell Boyd.

I haven't seen it - it did apparently get a UK 16mm cinema release and there's a record of a TV showing on Channel 4 in 1987.

mrmarbach

#1166 Post by mrmarbach » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:41 am

mrmarbach wrote:I picked up the Greenaway box set (A$69) which I look forward to - was big into Greenaway when I was at college, and curious what I make of him now. Tulse Luper I haven't found in a store yet (JB said they had 30 copies in stock for the whole of Australia).
I read somewhere else (probably this thread) that some R4 titles are actually region-free because of the Australian position on region-coding. I just tried "Drowning by Numbers" from this set in my R2 laptop and it plays - despite saying R4 on the box, the DVD case, and the disc. Just for info...

GaryC

#1167 Post by GaryC » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:07 pm

mrmarbach wrote:
mrmarbach wrote:I picked up the Greenaway box set (A$69) which I look forward to - was big into Greenaway when I was at college, and curious what I make of him now. Tulse Luper I haven't found in a store yet (JB said they had 30 copies in stock for the whole of Australia).
I read somewhere else (probably this thread) that some R4 titles are actually region-free because of the Australian position on region-coding. I just tried "Drowning by Numbers" from this set in my R2 laptop and it plays - despite saying R4 on the box, the DVD case, and the disc. Just for info...
It depends on the distributor. Umbrella's titles are usually region-free, while Roadshow and Madman's are Region 4 only. But there are exceptions to this.

Perkins Cobb

#1168 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 am

GaryC wrote:I don't think it's been mentioned before, but Michael Thornhill's 1974 film Between Wars is released on 12 January by Umbrella. It's also an early DOP credit for Russell Boyd.
Umbrella does love to hide things on its website.

Seems they have a 16:9 edition of Schepisi's Iceman coming out on February 10. The US DVD is pan & scan.

devlinnn

#1169 Post by devlinnn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:39 am

Leisen's Frenchman's Creek released Feb 2 from Universal as a $10 cheapie.

But considering the cancellation of their January releases (She Done Him Wrong / One Desire / I Saw What You Did / Counterpoint), I wouldn't hold my breath just yet.

Finch

#1170 Post by Finch » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Madman to release Yamadas and Laputa on 20 April on Blu-Ray

Have emailed them to check if the Dead Man Blu-Ray is still happening.

perkizitore

#1171 Post by perkizitore » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Both are up for pre-order from chaos.com with free shipping.

Finch

#1172 Post by Finch » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:36 am

Yes but even on chaos they are still rather expensive at £24.99. If a UK announcement isn't made anytime soon though, I'll bite the bullet (for Yamadas anyway, not interested in Laputa).

Finch

#1173 Post by Finch » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Madman have confirmed to me that Dead Man is still on track for a March Blu-Ray release but they haven't specified the street date as yet.

TMDaines

#1174 Post by TMDaines » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:35 am

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/promotions.php

Devoted DVD currently has a clearance sale and I noticed Fellini's Intervista on there. Am I right in thinking that this release is a good one and as good as any out there? I googled for some reviews but unfortunately couldn't find any.

Norbie

#1175 Post by Norbie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:06 am

It's great to see many people talking about releases of Fellini's Intervista, Leisen's Frenchman's Creek, Schepisi's Iceman, Michael Thornhill's 1974 film Between Wars, Greenaway's The Tulse Luper Suitcases and many more.

I have a question about an Umbralla Entertainment release that i purchased at the recent "Buy 2 get 1 Free" JB-HI sale.

The first copy didn't work, so i got a second one - and it still didn't work!!! This is the first time i have come across a problem in regards of a BR not playing in my player.

Oh...buy the way... the title is Dawn of the Dead (George A Romero's version).

Thanks.