Elia Kazan Film Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Frankinho007

Elia Kazan Film Collection

#1 Post by Frankinho007 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Fron the Home Theater Forum:
On November 9th, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release the Elia Kazan Film Collection, an 18-disc DVD gift set including A Letter to Elia and 15 of Kazan’s most acclaimed and noteworthy films. The full collection, in addition to the documentary, includes: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945), Boomerang! (1947), Gentleman’s Agreement (1947), Pinky (1949), Panic in the Streets (1950), A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), Viva Zapata! (1952), Man on a Tightrope (1953), On the Waterfront (1954), East of Eden (1955), Baby Doll (1956), A Face in the Crowd (1957), Wild River (1960), Splendor in the Grass (1961), and America, America (1963). Of the collection, 5 films have never before been released on DVD: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Viva Zapata!, Man on a Tightrope, Wild River, and America, America. The Elia Kazan Film Collection will be available for $199.98 U.S. / $349.98 Canada.

andyli

Re: Fox 75th Anniversary releases

#2 Post by andyli » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:59 pm

I'll rob a bank if they release this baby in Blu-ray.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Frankinho007 wrote:Fron the Home Theater Forum:
On November 9th, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release the Elia Kazan Film Collection, an 18-disc DVD gift set including A Letter to Elia and 15 of Kazan’s most acclaimed and noteworthy films. The full collection, in addition to the documentary, includes: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945), Boomerang! (1947), Gentleman’s Agreement (1947), Pinky (1949), Panic in the Streets (1950), A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), Viva Zapata! (1952), Man on a Tightrope (1953), On the Waterfront (1954), East of Eden (1955), Baby Doll (1956), A Face in the Crowd (1957), Wild River (1960), Splendor in the Grass (1961), and America, America (1963). Of the collection, 5 films have never before been released on DVD: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Viva Zapata!, Man on a Tightrope, Wild River, and America, America. The Elia Kazan Film Collection will be available for $199.98 U.S. / $349.98 Canada.
OH MY GOD :shock: :shock: :shock:

Weird that they were able to finagle Splendor in the Grass and East of Eden, but not the Arrangement from WB

Murdoch

#4 Post by Murdoch » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:26 pm

I wonder if any of the titles already out are going to be remasters or if they're just going to box the previous ones. I'd hate to pay $200 when I already have most of the films.

Jeff

Elia Kazan at Fox

#5 Post by Jeff » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:12 pm

The set appears to include titles from Sony, Warner, and the Kazan estate via Julian Schlossberg/Weschester Films.

Tom Hagen

Re: Elia Kazan at Fox

#6 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Jeff wrote: Warner
That stood out when I saw that Streetcar and East of Eden were mentioned as titles in an earlier thread about this box. If Warner will license to Fox, will Warner also license to . . .

Matt

#7 Post by Matt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:03 pm

I doubt Warner is licensing anything. These will probably be the existing DVDs from Warner, who will simply get a cut of each box.

zedz

#8 Post by zedz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:33 pm

My credit card and I are delighted that I have zero interest in this set, but I'm definitely happy that Fox is continuing this fine tradition (and maybe this time they'll get the packaging sorted!)

Raoul on 2011 and the next installment!

John Edmond

Re: Elia Kazan Film Collection

#9 Post by John Edmond » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Nuh-uh. Raoul on 2012 if we can have an installment of Objective Blu-ray!

exte

#10 Post by exte » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:33 am

Amazing news.

Howard Roark

#11 Post by Howard Roark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:29 am

domino harvey wrote:Weird that they were able to finagle Splendor in the Grass and East of Eden, but not the Arrangement from WB
I wonder why WB wouldn't let The Arrangement go, considering they put it OOP a while ago.

But I hope the 5 new titles will be released individually!

Frankinho007

#12 Post by Frankinho007 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:27 am

Howard Roark wrote:But I hope the 5 new titles will be released individually!
According to Classicflix.com they won't!
Also, we've confirmed with the studio that at this time singles will not be available. So anyone wishing to purchase the previously unreleased titles may only do so through this set. For renters, this also means that we will not have those titles available.

oldsheperd

#13 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:39 pm

200 bucks for 15 films. You can already get the previously released dvds pretty cheap, so essentially you're paying 200 bucks for 5 previously unavailable films. That's good. Wayy to hold the consumer hostage, Fox.

perkizitore

#14 Post by perkizitore » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:48 pm

I am pretty confident that this will retail for $140 or less on release date and after a few months you can have it for about a $100.
Considering i only own Boomerang and Panic in the Streets on DVD (i also have promotional newspaper discs of A Face In The Crowd and America, America) that's a must buy set for me.
On the other hand, won't the high profile titles get an HD bump in the next two years? I bet they will, but it's still worth spending up to a hundred bucks for the set.

whaleallright

#15 Post by whaleallright » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:38 am

Packaging reminding me a bit of

manicsounds

#16 Post by manicsounds » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:47 am

Yeah, Scorsese's name couldn't be bigger....

Well, it's happened before. Warner's disc of "Blazing Saddles" was included in the Fox set. Unfortunately, it was the old disc and not the remastered one.

Will they pull the same for Streetcar and dump the snappercase disc in the giftset?

Perkins Cobb

#17 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Would really love to own this, if I were into owning such things. The only film I haven't seen here is America, America, and that's only because the dialogue was literally inaudible on the print that used to run on AMC six times a week.

Of course, it looks like Fox has it rigged so I'll never be able to see just that one, unless I find a pal who springs for the set.

myrnaloyisdope

#18 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm really hoping America, America gets it's own release. It's Kazan's best I think, and blu would be exceptional. I saw a print of it in Toronto last year and I left convinced it was one of the greatest films ever made.

Lino

#19 Post by Lino » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:35 pm

myrnaloyisdope wrote:America, America (...) one of the greatest films ever made.
It really is and I feel a world of gratitude to Fox for putting it out on the digital format together with all those amazing films from Kazan on such a special boxset. I really can't wait to revisit them all, one by one.

knives

#20 Post by knives » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:15 pm

zedz wrote:(and maybe this time they'll get the packaging sorted!)
Nope. I haven't played any of the discs yet, but with what seems like three exceptions all of the discs look scratched. Thing's much smaller though even if it weighs as much.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Yikes, now I'm worried about my set arriving tomorrow

knives

#22 Post by knives » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:24 pm

I do need to take them for a spin and only one disc looked particularly dire.

Edit: Guess I should give some info. All of the non-Fox titles are straight ports of their solo packages down to the rather clashing disc images. Everything else seems like a new set up with red disc art that matches the outer packaging. Even America, America is this way, I assume being identical to the just announced release. I've only plopped in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but everything's real nice. The image is clean and strong. Audio is decent too with all of the levels rights and no popping. I have no clue what extras may have been on R2 release, but this one's pretty stacked. Schickel has a commentary with clips of old interviews I assume seeing as how Kazan's dead. There's also a making of and Dorothy McGuire has an appreciation. I'm not sure what to make of them, but there's two more things titled movietonews, one claiming to be an interview with the author of the book on the movie and the other an oscar clip. I haven't checked to see if the extras are just duplicates on the old titles, but they probably are. The book's nicely organized too with a short prologue section and everything else covering a specific film (chronologically) in the set. On skimming I'm sure it won't hold any new information for most here, but it seems pleasant enough.
Last edited by knives on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff

#23 Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Are there any supplements other than A Letter to Elia, or are the discs all bare-bones? I'm assuming that the previously released titles contain all of their original bonus features. What about the five new films? Does America, America contain the Foster Hirsch commentary from the upcoming Warner disc? I can't really justify getting this set since I have every one of the previously available films, and will be able to get America, America soon.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Jeff wrote:Are there any supplements other than A Letter to Elia, or are the discs all bare-bones? I'm assuming that the previously released titles contain all of their original bonus features. What about the five new films? Does America, America contain the Foster Hirsch commentary from the upcoming Warner disc? I can't really justify getting this set since I have every one of the previously available films, and will be able to get America, America soon.
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
- Commentary by film historian Richard Schickel, with Elia Kazan, Ted Donaldson, and Norman Lloyd
- The making of A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
- An Appreciation of Dorothy McGuire
- Movietonews Betty Smith Acknowledges Artist Renderings Of the Characters From Her Novel
- Movietonews Motion Picture Academy Awards Oscars For Film Achievements
- Sneak Peek (Trailers for Panic in the Streets and Gentleman's Agreement)

Viva Zapata!
- Theatrical Trailer
- Spanish Trailer

Man on a Tightrope

Wild River
- Commentary by film historian Richard Schickel
- Theatrical Trailer

America, America
- Commentary by historian Foster Hirsh

Jeff

#25 Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks, Domino. Don't know why I couldn't seem to find those specs. They really aren't exciting enough to nudge a purchase. I can't stand Richard Schickel. He admittedly hates cinema, so I don't know why he can't seem to shut up about it.

Fox has clearly been sitting on that disc of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for years. It was originally supposed to be part of their old Studio Classics line, and those specs show that it was ready to go. I think I even saw the cover art for it at one point. Surely they'll release it as a solo disc at some point. They invested too much money in it just to pack it in a pricey box that might net a couple hundred sales.

I really want a stacked, Schickeless Blu-ray release of the amazing Wild River, which is my second favorite Kazan (after A Face in the Crowd). I've pestered Criterion about it to no avail.