Dark Star (John Carpenter) Remastered DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
manicsounds

Dark Star (John Carpenter) Remastered DVD

#1 Post by manicsounds » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:26 am

And after 8 years, here it is from DVDDrive-In:

Looks like DVD only... after 8 long years (!) following the announcement of this one, kinda disappointed they aren't going Hi-Def with it...

Person

Re: Dark Star (John Carpenter) Remastered DVD

#2 Post by Person » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:41 am

I had written this one off, but this is great news! I too wish that a Blu was also being pressed. Great movie, so clever, so goofy!

knives

#3 Post by knives » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:43 am

I'll believe when I see it, but for now I'll happily wait in anticipation. While not top of the line Carpenter this is still one of the more fun movies out there.

Person

#4 Post by Person » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:44 pm

I recieved this today. The biggest improvement in this new transfer is the color which is more vibrant and detail has been improved too. It generally looks like an optimal 16mm-origination transfer. The 5.1 sound is pretty good too, but with little directional seperation. The subtitles are large-ish and white. I haven't viewed the extras yet. A thoroughly enjoyable film.

GaryC

#5 Post by GaryC » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 am

I'm surprised there's no warning about strobe lighting effects - the film always had one when it's been shown on the BBC.

manicsounds

#6 Post by manicsounds » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:46 am

...and February 28th, 2011 sees the Hyper Drive Edition on Blu-ray in the UK!

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#7 Post by ando » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:12 am

Man, I got impatient with the main feature and jumped right into Let There Be Light, which has been fascinating so far. I had no idea that Carpenter went to USC or any sort of film school for that matter. His work screams, This is what you're not supposed to do in movies!

Adam X

#8 Post by Adam X » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:09 am

I can't tell if you mean that to be a compliment or an insult.
If only more genre filmmakers followed Carpenter's lead and did "what you're not supposed to do".

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#9 Post by ando » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:09 am

Indeed.

I meant it neither as a compliment nor insult; Carpenter seemed deliberately to have formed a style of unorthodoxy in terms of content and approach seen from this film onward. I never saw his films as a departure from the conventional in terms of form but, at the very least, the vantage point of his protagonists skew the narratives almost by default. He set out to make films that flip the script a bit. I wasn't all surprised to hear how he admired filmmakers like Buñuel (compare devices like the severed walking hand in Exterminating Angel to the Beach Ball Alien - which, apparently George Lucas hated but is still funny - in Dark Star!); directors who reveled in a kind of absurdist look at societal norms.