Pier Paolo Pasolini on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Darth Lavender

#51 Post by Darth Lavender » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:56 am

i think they are doing the right thing. anyway, the original black and white version is also in the disc/set. there is no need for this issue. much ado about nothin.
They are doing the right thing, I think, by finally releasing this film in a (hopefully) high-quality, remastered presentation (I'll be waiting to hear the reviews, but it seems entirely possible that this will be worth getting.)

As for the colorised version; speaking for myself, I'm not the least bit 'offended' by the concept, but I am immensely *amused* by the concept of someone colorising such a classic "art-house" film. It really does sound like a joke, and I think it's quite normal to mock the decision.

Ashirg

#52 Post by Ashirg » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Darth Lavender wrote:
i think they are doing the right thing. anyway, the original black and white version is also in the disc/set. there is no need for this issue. much ado about nothin.
They are doing the right thing, I think, by finally releasing this film in a (hopefully) high-quality, remastered presentation (I'll be waiting to hear the reviews, but it seems entirely possible that this will be worth getting.)

As for the colorised version; speaking for myself, I'm not the least bit 'offended' by the concept, but I am immensely *amused* by the concept of someone colorising such a classic "art-house" film. It really does sound like a joke, and I think it's quite normal to mock the decision.
So how come they had money to colorize it, but no money to dub it as well? If they wanted to market this to the lowest common denominator, shouldn't it also be in English so we don't have to read those awful subtitles.

Barmy

#53 Post by Barmy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:57 pm

The Tartan boxsets are available for pre-order on amazon.co.uk. Somewhat pricey!

David Ehrenstein

#54 Post by David Ehrenstein » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:47 pm

I would also recommend Heretical Empericism and Lutheran Letters. His unfinished novel Petrolio is very much worth reading too.

I guess I'm lucky cause I have a lot of Pasolini: Oedipo Re and Porcile on laserdisc, and goods DVD of Accatone, Gospel, Decameron and Cantebury Tales, plus tapes of [iMama Roma and Arabian Nights and Salo on DVD.

Love and Anger recently came out on DVD and it has The Paper Flower Sequence - one of his most beautiful expressions of his love for Ninetto. A friend also burned me a copy of Cappricio Italiano which has Che Cosa Sono Nuovole? -- my all-time favorite Pasolini film.

Looking for a good Teorema.

It was my exceedingly good fortune to have met Pasolin when he visited New York in 1966 and again in 1968. Remarkably sweet, and elegant man. Utterly without fear.

It's no surprise that they had to run over him repeatedly with the car.

Soothsayer

#55 Post by Soothsayer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:34 pm

All I can add here is to stay away from the Water Bearer sets....any kind of media transfer like that should be considered criminal!

*hopes someone here gets the Tartan sets and comes back with reviews to make me drool*

jesus the mexican boi

#56 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:37 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:It's no surprise that they had to run over him repeatedly with the car.
That's definitely one for The Quotable Ehrenstein. I'm pre-ordering the hardcover.

Soothsayer

#57 Post by Soothsayer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:40 pm

Actually, I can add a bit more... If anyone hasn't checked it out yet, Facets put out a documentary (R1) called Whoever Says the Truth Shall Die. Old Dutch (I believe?) documentary on Pasolini's life and work, but focuses more specifically on his murder/cover-up.

I never realized Laura Betti (she plays the maid in Teorema) was so active in trying to find the truth in relation to Pasolini's death!

Long story short, I definitely recommend this documentary, you even get to hear his poem about Godard read (although not by Pasolini:( )

skuhn8

#58 Post by skuhn8 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:56 pm

Sounds very interesting. But I'd rather eat my mother's ass than buy a DVD bearing the Facets moniker. They can't have my money.

Soothsayer

#59 Post by Soothsayer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:00 pm

That's why God invented the Torrent :lol:

For what it's worth, this is a bit higher than Facets' normal dismal standards(it beats the Dekalog or Heimat watermarks, thank goodness).

Tommaso

#60 Post by Tommaso » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:49 am

I would definitely recommend the Italian dvd of his 1964 documentary "Sopralluoghi in Palestina". This film is about his looking for suitable locations for filming "Vangelo", which was then eventually made in Italy, of course. It is his first film dealing with the problems of the Arabian/Third world (and Palestine at that time was pretty much underdeveloped indeed), showing his visits to various places of historical and cultural importance and his meetings with people there. A fascinating and very beautiful film, totally unknown, but thankfully now available in an excellent restoration, and the dvd has removable English subs!! All packaged with a thick booklet (in Italian) and an excellent 2 hour documentary on Pasolini on the second disc. Have a look here.

HerrSchreck

#61 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:54 am

skuhn8 wrote: But I'd rather eat my mother's ass than buy a DVD bearing the Facets moniker. They can't have my money.
You're a sick man, skuhn. You're quite the charming nut lately, actually.

MichaelB

#62 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:53 am

HerrSchreck wrote:
skuhn8 wrote: But I'd rather eat my mother's ass than buy a DVD bearing the Facets moniker. They can't have my money.
You're a sick man, skuhn. You're quite the charming nut lately, actually.
I have a review copy of the first Tartan Pasolini box sitting on my desk, and I have to say that it's a whole series of pleasant surprises all the way.

It's in a cardboard slipcase with three slimline plastic DVD cases inside (very much like Optimum's Bunuel box), though half the space is taken up with a reprint of William Weaver's translation of A Violent Life, Pasolini's 1959 novel, rebranded to match the box artwork. That's the only significant extra (bar original trailers), but it's a pretty hefty one.

The individual DVD cases are very attractive too, the designs largely based around (I assume) original poster artwork on a strong red background. Complete Italian posters take up the top half of the rear box artwork.

As for the discs themselves (which are Region 2 only), first impressions are very positive indeed - RoGoPaG and Love Meetings are anamorphic (1.78:1 and 1.66:1 respectively), with Accattone in Academy, and all are sourced from very clean-looking prints, with optional subtitles. I was particularly impressed by the quality of the colour sequences in La Ricotta. Crucially, they also appear to be native and progressive PAL transfers - or at least I couldn't detect any of the ghosting that too often plagues discs from this label, even after stepping through them frame by frame.

I'll report back if I spot any other issues when I've had a chance to run them on a more demanding system than my MacBook - but it certainly looks as though Tartan have got it right this time.

Soothsayer

#63 Post by Soothsayer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:18 am

MichaelB wrote:I have a review copy of the first Tartan Pasolini box sitting on my desk, and I have to say that it's a whole series of pleasant surprises all the way.
That Tartan boxset might be the thing that finally pushes me to get a region-free dvd player. Thanks for the info MichaelB, keep us posted!

MichaelB

#64 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:49 am

Just to update my earlier post, I've now watched all three discs in the first Pasolini box, and see no reason to dampen my earlier enthusiasm.

The only slight niggle is that the credits for Accattone are in letterboxed widescreen (black text, white background, black bars top and bottom), yet the film itself is in 4:3 - but I couldn't see anything wrong with the framing. In all other respects, it's a gorgeous transfer from a pretty well perfectly-preserved print - I suspect the high-contrast look was deliberate, as there's plenty of shadow detail and the highlights are never bleached out.

Looks as though volume 2 is along near-identical lines: three discs plus a novel ('Ragazzo') - though in this case I'd say the films themselves are rather stronger, with two major works ('Oedipus Rex' and 'Pigsty') against volume 1 offering just 'Accattone' and two relative obscurities. The other volume 2 title is 'Hawks and Sparrows', which didn't do much for me, though the glorious opening with sung credits is almost worth it on its own. In fact, back in the days when I had a blog, I uploaded an MP3 sample, which can still be heard here.

Tommaso

#65 Post by Tommaso » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:32 am

Just for completeness sake: can you tell us which colour the subs are and whether they're removable? I'm seriously contemplating to buy Vol.2 for "Pigsty" alone, but I'd be more pushed if I knew I could get rid of the horrible yellow subs on the French 3-discer containing "Hawks and the Sparrows" (one of my favourite Pasos, incidentally) and "Oedipus" already.

MichaelB

#66 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:38 am

Tommaso wrote:Just for completeness sake: can you tell us which colour the subs are and whether they're removable?
They're white, and they're removable. The menu doesn't offer any subtitle options, and the default is subtitles on, but I'm happy to confirm that you can easily switch them off, as I've just done it myself.

As a welcome bonus, the subtitles are also removable on the trailers.

(NB: This only applies to volume one, but there's no reason to assume transfer standards and subtitle options won't be the same with volume 2)

Tommaso

#67 Post by Tommaso » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks!

Soothsayer

#68 Post by Soothsayer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:14 am

MichaelB wrote:The only slight niggle is that the credits for Accattone are in letterboxed widescreen (black text, white background, black bars top and bottom), yet the film itself is in 4:3 - but I couldn't see anything wrong with the framing. In all other respects, it's a gorgeous transfer from a pretty well perfectly-preserved print - I suspect the high-contrast look was deliberate, as there's plenty of shadow detail and the highlights are never bleached out.
Can't remember where I saw this, but in an interview, Tonino Delli Colli (DP on Accatone) mentioned that there was a very nice original print, and Pasolini took a copy of the negative and marked it up, did a whole bunch of stuff to it (transfers, more markings, etc.). They watch Pasolini's treated print and Pasolini decides its much better and the version he wanted released (I believe for the Venice Film Festival, I'm probably wrong, though). I'm pretty sure this is the print that was used for all subsequent releases.

kekid

#69 Post by kekid » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:29 pm

I am delighted by the Pasolini Volume I, particularly Accatone. However, I have a small caveat. The set is twice as big as it needs to be because of the paperback of "A Violent Life". This book can be purchased from Amazon by anyone interested. I agree with the view expressed by others that if a book is included with a DVD box, it should have a compelling reason to be there. Lack of general availability is a good reason. I do not feel there was a compelling reason to include a book in this case. It is included to partially offset the lack of extras in this important release. If so, it is a poor substitute.

I gather there is a plan to include another book with the second volume. As the release date is within a couple of months, probably the design work is all done; otherwise I would make a plea to get rid of the book and reduce the price. Those who want the book can easily get it separately.

colinr0380

#70 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:28 pm

That is great news about the second volume Michael. Porcile is the only other Pasolini film I haven't seen, and it will be great to upgrade from my videos of Oedipus Rex and Hawks and the Sparrows.

I might disagree about leaving the books out. I hadn't planned on getting Violent Life, but it makes a very good bonus. I'm looking forward to Ragazzo too (does anyone have any information about this book?). Perhaps Tartan might separate the films later on for those who already have the book separately?

kinjitsu

#71 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:38 pm

kekid wrote:I have a small caveat. The set is twice as big as it needs to be because of the paperback of "A Violent Life" ... I do not feel there was a compelling reason to include a book in this case.
It has always been my impression that Accattone was loosely based on A Violent Life, much as Mamma Roma's Ettore evolved from certain aspects of A Boy's Life.

MichaelB

#72 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:06 pm

Personally, I think it's a terrific extra, and I'm all for unconventional additions like this - especially in the case of an artist whose creativity extended well beyond the film medium. Which is quite enough of a "compelling reason" for me.

And I also appreciate the way Tartan have matched the book cover and spine with the DVD artwork.

foggy eyes

#73 Post by foggy eyes » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:13 pm

DVD Times review of Pasolini Volume 1.

Tommaso

#74 Post by Tommaso » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:45 am

Reading that DD Times review and also Michael's comments there, I wondered why I was always relatively attracted to "Love meetings", though it's also not among my favourite Pasolinis. I would agree that the film doesn't provide us with a hell of a lot of new insights on how the Italians in the 60s regarded all matters sexual, and that Pasolini, for the points mentioned in the review, didn't really probe deeply into their answers, thus making it worthless as a sociological examination. But I ask myself whether this was Pasolinis main objective when making the film, or whether the film shouldn't perhaps be regarded as another outpouring of his personal obsession: the urgent drive to break up established rules and codes of morality and bourgeois society. Just the fact of TALKING publicly about sex (not to speak of so-called 'aberrant' sex practices) must have come as pretty much a blow to the conservative Catholic morality of many, perhaps quite similar to what "La Ricotta" did in its own way. The driving force here might have been similar to the reasons that eventually drove him to make "Salo".

What makes "Comizi d'amore" also interesting for me is that it in a way presents a 'lost' culture: you simply won't find those faces, those ways of looking and behaviour anymore today, not even - as far as I can see - in Italy. Thus "Love meetings" might regain interest as a piece of 'anthropology', perhaps unintentional, and thus might fit into the canon of films of his like 'Sopralluoghi in Palestina" or "Le mura di Sana'a". Anyway, I still find it's worth seeing, if only for the appearance and talking of Pasolini himself in it.

colinr0380

#75 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:43 pm

DVD Maniacs review of the Pasolini Volume 1 set.

Will this be the novel included with the second volume?